TankUtility monitoring (app and device)

What kind of range does the Sinope device have? My hub would be about 40 feet away and has a steel wall (shop) to go through.

Mine has good range, better than some other zigbee stuff I have. I don't know about a steel wall though. How about somehow putting a zigbee contact switch there and see if it works?

1 Like

If you can find an Otodata propane monitor, they transmit BLE tank percentages on a regular basis. I got one off eBay, it’s connected to some cellular network (which doesn’t require a subscription), battery lasts 10 years. I use the Pi running genmon in my generator to listen to BLE advertisements and inject those into genmon and Hubitat.

If I had known about the Sinope option, I probably would have gone they route. Then again, the Otodata was $60 and I can check it via Nee-vo app if my internet is down.

Anybody noticed any problems with TankUtility’s API recently? I’ve used this device/app for awhile with zero issues and then two days ago it just stopped updating. And I’m getting lots of errors in the log.

Does it work with the TankUtility or Generac Mobile Link apps?

Did you see:

2 Likes

Ah I didn’t. Thanks for the link. Any way to update this app/driver to address the certificate change?

If they fixed their certificate, there should be no issues.

If you are not picking up their fix, you might politely reboot your hub

HE console -> settings -> reboot

1 Like

I rebooted but still no joy. Same error messages. Does it work now for you/others?

I see it working for me.

Perhaps reboot your router?

Still no joy. Weird.

I'm seeing the same problem.

I reinstalled the app and am getting this error message:

Error in the getAPIToken method: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

What about others?

That reads like tank utility folks don't have a valid certificate for their end point

Have you ask tank utility folks on this.

I'm not seeing this error myself, so perhaps they have several webservers for their api on 1 has a problem??

Yes, I just sent them an email and received this response. Since I’m not a developer, I’m not sure how to respond. Any suggestions?

I would reboot your he and routers

Given not everyone is seeing …may be a network problem near your end

Yes I’ve tried that without success. And it seems like I’m not alone. Any suggestion on best way to respond to them?

If you can reproduce with a curl command you can have a reproducer without he

@gopher.ny any thoughts?

I do think there is something up with this app.

My existing app hasn't updated since August 18th according to the graph.

I tried adding the app to my dev hub, and I got an error, see below. I know that I entered my username and password correctly, I logged into the Android app just now using the same credentials.

Error in the getAPIToken method: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Hmm, exactly the same error over here.

1 Like