Ok a little melodramatic however it was a victory for my hub.
This has been going on for over 6 months.
A Z-Wave device was physically removed from mesh with no "remove" from my C7 hub, resulting in a ghost device. I don't recall the C7 firmware at the time and I can't suggest why this particular entry resulted in such a Stubbrun ghost.
Numerous attempts to remove using an number of forum suggestions were unsuccessful.
In the meantime I've had another ghost or two (due to failed sensors). These ghosts were easily removed in the normal manner.
I installed the SilLab PC Controller and it too failed. I purchased a C8 hub and now was determined to remove this ghost, even if I had to rejoin all the Z-Wave devices.
So I pulled up SilLab PC Controller again. Still would not remove the offending entry. However this time I noticed a warning suggesting my Z-Wave stick was not capable of the requested action (remove failed).
Hummm... I then realized (or at least thought) the issue was my Z-Stick was too old and having the 300 series chipset was inadequate.
So I purchased a Zooz ZST39 LR with the 800 series chipset. Upon receipt I had the ghost node removed in about 10 minutes.
So that's my ghost story...... now on with the transfer to the C8.