Tablet Recommendation for Ez Dashboard

Never owned an inexpensive tablet, so I am asking for recommendations for a cheap ~10inch tablet that I could wall mount. Punching through the wall for powering isn’t an issue. Used is ok as long as presentable.
I see several on Amazon in the <$50 range but don’t know which would just work “out of the box” without having to educate myself about Android.

I did a write up on this .. check it out.

2 Likes

But first I need a tablet :innocent:

can use any old android tablet :slight_smile:

Yep, I understand…

I want an “always on” display. Does that alter the decision?

1 Like

In Android it is possible to tell the tablet to keep the screen on so long as it is plugged in.

I purchased a cheap 8" Android tablet from this brand and it has been OK for basic stuff. It's also Google-compliant and comes with the Play store so you don't have to mess with sideloading.

Here's a 10" version for about $70. I cannot exactly vouch for this exact tablet, but if I had to buy a 10" tablet today for a Hubitat dashboard, I would try this one based on my experience with the other one that I have.

https://www.amazon.com/UMIDIGI-G1-Tab-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B0D1KB5144

Now here's hoping someone will have an even better option!

2 Likes

I've read you should cycle the charger so the battery doesn't swell, destroy itself, whatever.
I don't know details though, obviously :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

I have always used the Amazon HD Fire tables. They are a little more pricey, but they work very well with HE. Yes, I use Fire Toolbox to clean them up and add Google Play.

2 Likes

That shouldn’t be a problem to do. Any idea if HE can get the tablet’s battery level?

You can use Tasker to do this, via Maker API. I use it on my tablet I have sitting on a side-table displaying either the EcoWitt Dashboard or a clock, depending on the time of day.

1 Like

If you go with Fully Kiosk browser, they have an API that provides a lot of data. I never used @gavincampbell driver, and I don't think he is maintaining it, but Fully Kiosk didn't make significant changes in years, so this driver might work well:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I have no, zero, interest in using the tablet for anything other than a dashboard device hung on the wall.
So I am looking for the option that best enhances the WAF, I.e., cheap but not cheap looking.

2 Likes

I have used iPads for years, but switched to a Galaxy Tab8 a few years ago and can't be happier.

With Fully you can push the dashboard page you want when you approach the wall, and then keep a screensaver when no one around. Having a wall tablet has increased WAF for sure. Is not used for control per se, that is done automatically, but more for status, weather forcast, notifications, and so on.

2 Likes

I saw a movie yesterday, The Fall Guy, where a smart home display made a fleeting appearance. It looked pretty slick and was in a high end apartment. The hero, whose apartment it isn't, presses "living room", or some such thing, and a suitably cool scene is activated. That's all I got, lol.

2 Likes

If you need a mount, I recommend mbmounts. I use their recessed mounts.

3 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion. I have 6 Macs, 3 Apple TVs, 4 HomePods,2 each, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch.
I suffer with a small PC to run my wife’s embroidery and quilting software. It is also useful for removing zwave ghosts.
So does anyone have good/bad things to say about the ~$45 10” android 12 tablets on Amazon? Like most Amazon reviews they are both wonderful and useless crap at the same time.

1 Like

If you are only looking to display a dashboard, I can't imagine many of the negatives being too much of an impediment, such as laggy performance or lack of support for any apps, etc. I have an old Android 4 display that I used to mount on the side of my fridge to display HE dashboards in Chrome, so almost anything will do the job I expect. If you want to branch out into other stuff like Tasker, etc, even then, most modern tablets of any quality would do, I expect.

3 Likes

Link?

1 Like

I use a 7" ONN (Walmart brand) tablet as my Home theater remote and works great so far. It is about $50-$60.