Switches activated numerous times after Rule triggered

I just saw your updated images... I doubt Alexa is causing that issue. I would turn on the Logging for the Rule, to see if it truly is making these calls. Or, since the Rule is so simple, you may want to simply delete it, and then re-create from scratch to make sure there are no extra scheduled jobs associated with it.

If you'd like to dig a little deeper, open the existing Rule, and then click the little Gear shaped icon near the top. Once that window opens, scroll down to the bottom and look for the "Scheduled Jobs" section. What do you see there?

1 Like

There are a few scenarios where that kind of behavior may occur. Most common 2 are: driver issue or weak mesh. If you are using a custom driver, then try to change the type on Device Details page. If you are using a built-in driver, then I would look at mesh problems.

1 Like

Thanks Bobby. I'm using the built-in driver. So what can I do to troubleshoot the mesh?

P.S. I added the rule log but it doesn't seem to indicate any multi-triggering as you can see.

2 Likes

Yep, I would concur with your assessment. It seems like the Rule is running just once at the two desired times.

What type of switch devices are these? Make and Model number? What driver type is being used?

Garage Lights is a Zooz ZEN73 on/off switch. Front Porch Light is an Enbrighten ZW4009 that was detected as a generic Z-Wave Scene Controller.

Okay, so both Z-Wave devices... I am tagging @rlithgow1 as he absolutely loves helping users diagnose and sort out their Z-Wave issues. I decided long ago to switch everything to Lutron Caseta, as Z-Wave issues plagued my system for years. The Lutron solution has been 100% reliable.

4 Likes

Make sure you have the latest Z-wave driver and then heal your Z-wave network.

2 Likes

I have only seen this when I was having zwave mesh issues. That might not be the issue here, but I thought I would at least relay that I have seen this type of behavior, and in my case the mesh was not healthy (causing many device retries/repeats).

In my case I proved it to myself by running a sniffer and looking at the traffic (ACKs weren't making it to/from the device and hub).

2 Likes

I would run individual repair (select repair next to the device, on the Z-Wave Details page) for the device with problems. You may need to add repeaters to strengthen your mesh network.

2 Likes

Good idea. I would still do the Heal network first and then the individual repair.

Running repair on the entire network is not as effective as running individual device repair. It could actually cause more problems.

2 Likes

Good to know.

1 Like

Check this post for more details:

2 Likes

That make sense.

Can you provide this for both the switches?

Same "In Use By" for both switches. I've check Alexa app and there are no routines or Hunches for either switch or any groups that these switches are a part of in Alexa.

1 Like

I don't seem to have the option to do individual device repair under Z-Wave Details.

Which model Hubitat hub do you have? The Z-Wave options vary between the models.

Rev-C5

One tip I have heard sometimes improves Z-wave mesh behavior is to perform an orderly hub shutdown via the settings menu. Then unplug the power supply from the wall outlet (to avoid potential damage to the hub’s microUSB connector), wait 15 minutes, then plug the power supply back into the wall outlet. This procedure allows the hub’s internal Z-wave radio to fully power off and restart.

Afterwards, I would probably try to exercise basic communications between the hub and each z-wave device to make sure they are all responsive. If you find any that are not, that particular device might be causing mesh issues, or could simply be a victim of other mesh issues.

Did you try running a Z-wave repair in one browser tab, while watching the Live Logs in another browser tab/window? Sometimes that process will help to identify devices that are having issues.