Switch disables Alexa alarm

Hello all - I have a “no school” virtual switch that disables morning lighting routines in my kids’ room. There is also an alarm on the Echo that needs to be separately disabled in the Alexa app. Is anybody aware of a method to disable the echo alarm via the HE switch?

Make the virtual switch a "virtual contact with switch" ( https://raw.githubusercontent.com/stephack/Hubitat/master/drivers/Virtual%20Contact%20Sensor%20with%20Switch.groovy ). Share that device through the Hubitat Amazon Echo Skill to Alexa. On the Alexa side, create a routine such that when that contact opens, it does a custom command to say whatever it is you say to Alexa to disable the echo alarm, and another routine to do the opposite when it closes.

I know that's a lot .. feel free to ask about any of those steps you are not already familiar with.

You can also use Echo Speaks to send a command to Alexa as if you are speaking to it.

This is a great idea as I want to do the same thing to disable the "you better be down stairs by now" alarm and the "go wait for the bus before you miss it" alarm. I already have the no school switch setup to disable turning all the light off that they leave on every day when they go to school.

Problem is figuring out EXACTLY what to say to Alexa to disable the one specific alarm. Usually trying to disable or skip an alarm is followed by Alexa getting confused and me yelling at it. When it does finally work she usually follows up with asking if you want to delete it totally... Maybe it will understand the text better than my voice.

I just set a 2pm alarm and a 3pm alarm and then used this to cancel the 2pm. No issues except the Echo did announce "2pm alarm canceled.:

I set this up finally and after some trial and error came up with this rule.
Muting and DND mode did not stop Alexa from replying at current volume. Solution was to set volume to 1 temporarily and issue the commands to the Kitchen where it will not be heard.

Ideally if I had an old spare Echo I would use that and either open it and disconnect the speaker, or stash it in the basement inside of a plastic box or something.

When you "skip" an alarm like I am doing here, she asks if you want to cancel the entire alarm so I am waiting 4 seconds and sending no. The benefit of the skip is that it will still trigger the alarm the next scheduled day without having to turn it on again with another rule.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.