Surprise! Another disgruntled Wink user

Yes, those can be real difficult. When I moved from Smartthings I still had half a dozen of those motion sensors and they were BY FAR, the most difficult devices to get to exclude.

2 Likes

The only brick wall was the stupid gocontrol sensors.... I've had to do them a few times and they literally make me want to throw them out the back door into the woods as far as I can.

On the final one, when I got the light blinking to show it was in exclusion/inclusion mode, I screamed so loud my wife came running thinking we won the lottery or something. She's like "what?!" and I just said "I got it" with the sensor in my lap. She was so disappointed

8 Likes

Lol. Love it.

1 Like

?? Which ones? Motion or contact?

The motion sensors are built for security vis-a-vis time of activation and not automation, so I stopped using them to trigger Hubitat automations like lighting.

On the other hand, the contact sensors are super useful. They have a set of external terminals that permit them to be used anywhere you need a dry-contact sensor. Here are some of the ways that I'm using them:

1. Coupled with a 5V relay to detect power outage (and therefore do an automated shutdown of my Hubitats and other servers).
  2. Coupled with a current sensor switch to detect when my HVAC blower comes on and off (and therefore control the volume of Sonos speakers to compensate for the change in background noise).
  3. Coupled with a tilt switch to detect when my garage door is open or closed.

So treat those contact sensors like gold! They're very useful!

1 Like

Motion/Temp. These ones:

https://www.gocontrol.com/detail.php?productId=15

For years I used one to turn on lights in the middle of the night for people getting up to go to the bathroom (on Wink) and it worked fine. I don't use it for that use anymore but I do use two of them downstairs to turn off lights when motion stops since I have a teenager that LOVES to leave lights on everywhere she goes. I obviously haven't tested it much in the past day or two but it did turn off the lights that I forgot to turn off in the kitchen this morning for me.

I do still have another brand motion sensor that worked with ST but wasn't compatible with Wink so I need to find it and see if it will pair with Hubitat. I used to use that to turn on garage lights (with ST) when I changed and discovered that ST wasn't compatible with Chamberlain. I'm not as worried about someone breaking into the garage as turning the lights on. And I like the motion sensor vs door contact or integration with the garage door manufacturer because, for example, in the summer, sometimes I leave my garage doors open while I'm out walking or on a bike or doing yardwork and I like the lights to go on when I walk into the garage.

Off on a tangent here.... sorry

For me it would be worth it just to make sure they didn't get my money