Surprise! Another disgruntled Wink user

LOL, I thought about that but the time I'll spend on the phone with my credit company is worth (to me) more than the $4 or $5. Now, I'll be sure to make there are no ongoing charges in the coming months however!

Something I forgot to mention in the last post is disconnecting the current devices from Wink without the use of ... Wink. I remember I was in a situation similar to this 2-3 years ago when I tried Smart Things and some of the devices gave me a REAL hassle because they wouldn't connect with ST since they were still "connected" to Wink as far as the device was concerned. One way or the other, I'll get it done though. Much easier having a shorter commute since I'm working from home :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

OUCH! That has to sting!

But not untrue.

2 Likes

I love the last line.... it may be worth waiting. This sh*t is a necessity not like buying that lawn chair for the garden to use on sunny days in the summer when you have several hours to kill and want to read a book! The lights in my kitchen literally I removed the switches and hard wired them so my 15yo wasn't constantly breaking the plastic guard to flip them on for her multiple midnight snacks and was too lazy to tell Alexa to turn the lights on. Those lights are now just.... ON

2 Likes

You can exclude all your Wink devices using the Hubitat hub. Devices don't care who excludes them, even if they never been attached to that hub it will work. Excluding just clears the connection information from the device.

...but Wink going south is the least of your worries...don't you know mixed marriages never last?! :wink:

7 Likes

Bulbs are a finicky. Most bulbs work OK as repeaters as long as they are only repeating bulb traffic. I have a bunch of Sylvania bulbs that worked well on Wink and Hubitat. Once every few months one might drop off and I would just pair it again. I could deal with that.

It got bad when I started adding a bunch of motion sensors. They ended up routing through the bulbs and eventually would crash the bulb. As I added more devices it was almost daily that I would lose something.

I resolved the issue by getting a second hub just for my Zigbee bulbs. Ever since they have all been working exceptionally well. Keeping them on their own mesh solved my issues.

I don't have experience with the GE bulbs specifically but the Sylvania and many others have this issue. Depending on how many bulbs you have it may or may not make sense to add a second hub. Try them and see what happens. If things start to drop off then this could be the cause. I would suggest setting up any other wired (not battery) Zigbee devices you may have. Then start adding the bulbs. This might help minimize the bulbs trying to act as repeaters.

Another option is using bulbs that don't act as repeaters. Sengled makes bulbs that don't repeat. I have a few of those as well and they haven't caused me any grief. Inovelli makes z-wave bulbs but I haven't experience with using z-wave for lights, just switches and dimmers.

In any case if you have any questions about setting things up the forums are always good for answers.

Some of the early "Wink" GE bulbs were connected to Wink via some non-standard or broken protocol, IIRC. I have a "Wink" GE floodlight LED bulb that became useless when I made the switch.....

I think 90% of my bulbs were bought in 2015. I do have a few Osram and Sengled bulbs mixed in. I'm going to give it all a shot and see. Still no real update on the arrival of my hub. Probably because of the snow

Welcome to the Hubitat community @kieran!

The Chamberlain garage door opener is a symptom of the fragmentation and desire of some companies (IMHO) to hopefully become the center of the home automation universe. Enough of my pontificating.

I have used the community app with an separate contact/position sensor at a house I sold last year. It worked well.

Many of us wind up using several hub together. I didn't want to at first, but for various reasons I do too. I have the following hubs/servers: Hubitat (duh!), Hue, Homekit, MyQ (in addition to the MyQ/WiFi hub built-in the garage door opener), and a Homebridge server. I was REALLY hoping to just have one hub, but Oh well.

In our new home I have chosen to setup Homekit because it creates a connectivity path for my door locks (Level bolt [I really like how discrete they are.]) and my MyQ garage door. It is a bit involved to setup, so you might think about that as an option later.

MyQ garage door, to MyQ Bridge to Homekit, to HomeBridge, to Hubitat. Whew! :flushed: It sounds like a bit of a Rube Goldberg creation, but it works flawlessly for me. I also use Homekit for iPhone presence.

2 Likes

Yea, don't get me started on that. LOL. I think your assessment is spot-on.

3 Likes

I agree on different manufacturers or products trying to ride the next hopeful tidal wave and everything being so discombobulated as a result.

I've started to kind of resign myself to the fact that I might wind up with more than one hub but let's see.... step number one is to get the hub I have on order and "in transit"

1 Like

Maybe/hopefully one of the "smart ones" already on this thread will see this and have an answer? Worth a shot....

I had hoped that Wink would somehow miraculously come back to life just long enough for me to be able to unlink my current products in order to add them to hubitat. It seems like I may have some similar problems that I encountered when moving to ST a while back. Is there anything within hubitat that might make my life easier unlinking these devices from Wink? Like does anyone know from experience if I can just go into Hubitat and exclude devices and then push the button or whatever on the device (I've already gone and found the instruction on all of the various devices so I'm ready) to put them in exclusion mode? I figure it can't hurt to TRY to exclude them using hubitat or am I setting myself up for failure doing that?

I'm just excited my hub is coming today and I want to be able to control sh*t. It's pissing me off that I can't turn on or off some lights around my house. Some bulbs have just unlinked themselves already and aren't doing the nightly reset that I have scheduled.

I am so ready.... to unplug this POS Wink hub and move on with my life

Yes, don't even bother with the Wink, in fact it is often better to just unplug it while doing everything. For Zwave, do the exclusion on Hubitat. For Zigbee factory reset them and they will come right into Hubitat.

2 Likes

Thanks.... I just noticed while looking through the wink app for information on manufacturers that my device history exists again. They updated this morning that hubs will be back up and running soon. Not holding my breath at this point! I've been holding it for a few years waiting for the smart egg trays to come back into stock because I really need that :roll_eyes:

I'm still left in the dark with my Wink device. Waiting for it to come online long enough to cancel my subscription.

I too have some GE Link bulbs and the MyQ garage door sensor and feel your pain. I purchased the Schlage Connect specifically for Wink and I would cry if I can't use it with another hub.

:rofl: I never had a Wink, but I did have the egg tray... for about a month. Lol!

Got my hub last night and spent WAY too much time setting everything up. Lights are behaving SO FAR ... way more capability than I'll use but at least I have everything set up for now like I had things working with Wink. Now when I have some more time I can tinker. My first tinker will be integrating ring and honeywell and other stuff that I see are capable of being integrated. Not now though, a task for another day. So far, so good and I'm happy

5 Likes

Welcome, and good to hear you were able to get everything working.

It might be helpful for other potential Wink "converts" to clarify why it took so long to get everything setup. Reading this, some might think it's because you had problems with the new hub or that it was generally a difficult process. It's certainly worth mentioning if that was the case but it might likewise be helpful to know if the amount of time was related to other non-problem factors.

I came from Wink a couple of years ago. The prospect of switching was a bit scary and I recall the positive switch over experiences being very comforting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I realized after I wrote it that it LOOKS like I had trouble with hubitat or something.

It took me a long time because I was doing other things in between (baking a dessert with my 8yo daughter, drinking beers with my wife, etc, etc) but also because I have a lot of devices and some gave me trouble disconnecting from Wink. Particularly three go control motion/temp sensors I have took FOREVER to go into the exclusion/inclusion mode. I honestly could not tell you EXACTLY how I did it. Each one I was tinkering and just getting to the point of saying F it when it worked. But that alone took a good hour or so. Then also even though easy, going around excluding all of the other lights and doing the three seconds on/three off to reset bulbs. It was a lengthy process but, to be honest, I was SHOCKED how easy it was on Hubitat's end. SOOOOO easy. I have the three motion sensors, five door sensors, a window sensor, 5 outlets, 1 switch, 2 dimmers, and somewhere around 25-30 bulbs. And, of course, the way that I am, I set it up and then I need to play around rather than continuing to set things up. So I was adding apps and playing around within Hubitat as I was going also. Setting up all of my rules this morning was relatively easy and MAYBE took me another hour.

I'm looking forward to exploring all of the additional capacity in my spare time in the coming days and weeks. Now.... back to work!

5 Likes

Oh, I’m sure you will find a way as you gain more experience. It might have saved you time if, when you ran up against a brick wall, you had posted here in the forum. Someone would have tried to help.

Welcome!

1 Like