Surprise! Another disgruntled Wink user

I’ve done some looking around here in the forum/community and read a bit. Hopefully I’m not overlooking something and, if there is one place with consolidated answers, I apologize and will accept any roasting I get for asking the questions.

Like so many others (maybe everyone and maybe I’m the ONLY customer they have left?!?) I’m done with Wink. I don’t remember how but I stumbled upon Hubitat but I have some quick questions

1. I saw some posts with “new features” that looked to include code. It’s been a while, like 20 years, since I’ve done anything related to coding in any way, shape, or form. I’m sure I could figure it out but is it absolutely necessary? Or is there some features that are just included and require no knowledge of code and the coding is only more advanced once I’m comfortable (and have more time! I’m looking for a quick and simple migration) AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS THAT I CAN BE UP AND RUNNING WITHOUT CODE
  2. Some of the functionality that I’m looking for and maybe some of this will lead me back to the first question? I have about 25 light bulbs, 4 switches, 3 motion sensors, and 5 door/window sensors
    a. I’m looking for stuff like turning certain lights on at sunset and off at 11PM. I assume it’s achievable with Hubitat? AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
    b. I’m looking for some slightly more advanced things like if the front door is opened between sunset and sunrise, the front porch lights go on. Again, I assume it’s relatively easy? AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
    c. Something else like if a motion sensor detects no motion for more than 10 minutes, certain lights are turned off (teenagers) AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
  3. I’ve recently lost functionality and interface with Chamberlain where I used to turn on garage lights when the doors opened but that’s only been a problem when I took extra long to get out of my car and go inside SEEMS THEY DO NOT INTERFACE?
  4. I do need to and want to be able to see the history of motion sensors for example. It helps me see who was up and moving around the house getting snacks or sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
  5. It seems that the original GE bulbs (of which almost all of mine are) that came through Wink are a problem but not for everyone on Hubitat? Is that the case? I’m willing and figure that I will try without a Phillips hub but will get it if I notice problems

Just a comment…. Back prior to the whole subscription debacle, I got frustrated with Wink when I couldn’t find any compatible sirens. I have a teenage daughter that is always sneaking out of the house and I wanted a siren to go off when she opened the doors/windows in the middle of the night to alert my wife and I. I found an abundance of sirens that worked with Smart things so I figured I’d migrate. I did and enjoyed it until I started to enter in the “robots” I forget what ST called them but as I was entering them in, I hit a roadblock. I think I had something like 50 automations (nothing more complicated than I’ve noted above) but I got to like 35 and then I started getting errors. I figured I screwed something up and started from scratch. This time I got to 30 and hit the roadblock. Contacted them and they made some suggestions and tried to blame the user and I would up getting blocked at 25. We did some more things and I got 45 but still hit a roadblock. After about 3 months they basically told me that I was limited in the automations I could set up. I got pissed and moved back to Wink and said F the siren. I’ve since gotten a siren that works with Wink

I’m even more pissed at Wink now that I tried to set up lights and sensors and my wife’s house in Mexico but it wouldn’t work and now Wink is charging me like 7 times for 7 accounts this month and I can’t get a hold of anyone to cancel! I really thing they’re out of business with this latest outage this whole week!!!

Anyway, any guidance anyone can give me would help. I want something relatively plug and play for now. I don’t mind tinkering and playing with code but not right off the bat to get myself up and running. I’d rather get something up and running with little fuss (disconnecting from Wink and setting up with something new will be time enough!) and then tinker later down the road of I want.

It seems you were able to answer most of your own questions :wink: but I can confirm all of the automation logic you were asking about can absolutely be done with Hubitat.

I’m not familiar with available garage door opener integrations though.

Assuming you’re referring to GE Link bulbs, yes give them a shot but they’re pretty old at this point and I was one of the many that found them to be total garbage (on ST and Hubitat).

Re: coding knowledge, you absolutely don’t need to know anything about computer programming to use Hubitat (I don’t), and you can still benefit from many of its advanced features thanks to this wonderful community.

5 Likes

1, 2 & 4 - no problem.
3 yes with a community app called MyQ lite available through Hubitat package manager (also a community app

5 - sorry no ge devices.

You don’t need to code but setting things up is not as easy as wink robots but the power of the automations is not limited either. The built in simple apps are powerful compared to anything wink can do.

Just gotta jump on board and the community is awesome for supporting new users.

3 Likes

Hello, welcome to Hubitat. I am a former Wink user, there are lots of us over here.

1. You don't have to code to use Hubitat. At worst, you import code that someone else wrote. That is literally pointing Hubitat to the link where the code is found, typically Github. You only have to do this if you want community based apps or drivers. You certainly could use just the built-in drivers and apps. But there are some really cool community things you will want to try.

2. You are probably going to want to try Simple Automations app for these. As the name implies, it is very simple to setup and use, but somewhat limited. Simple Automations is like enhanced Wink robots, but not so complicated you will pull out your hair. In fact, I think SA is easier than Robots.

3. There is a community based app for the garage door. It works fine, but you will want (or need) to buy a tilt sensor for the door. That is the only way to get door open status. A tilt sensor isn't all that expensive. Others have even modified a window contact sensor as a door open sensor. As far as turning on lights with garage door, that is quite easy. I do this with a Simple Automation rule.

4. There isn't exactly a comparable thing to the Wink app's device history. There are community solutions, or you could look at logs, but logs are only available on the admin side of the hub.

5. Most people dump the GE bulbs, they seem to give problems, even on Wink or other hubs. But might be worth trying.

And just a side note, Hubitat isn't Wink. You have to change your mindset a bit. The Wink app did everything, both the admin and user side of things. Hubitat has a computer browser interface for admin or users (dashboard), and the phone app for dashboards. Wink has the very limited robots, Hubitat has many ways to automate things from simple to very complicated. Hubitat allows lots of control over devices, and apps where Wink had only the built-in stuff.

Anyhow, ask lots of questions, and don't let yourself get stuck on something. Ask us and we will almost surely have an answer.

5 Likes

mark - thanks for the quick reply. I didn't seem to have a problem with the bulbs on ST but who knows.... I think the youngest of my bulbs is like 6 years old!

steve - thanks for the reply and attention. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a hub now

neonturbo - thanks as well for the reply and some more detailed answers. Got it with the garage doors.... I've been dealing without the integration for a few months now and hardly ever notice it so I might just do without. I've been pretty lucky with the GE bulbs. Every now and then some get disconnected but it's usually related to a power issue whether it's surge or outage. I reconnect and they work. There was one on my porch that was on the fritz for a while but has been fine for ~8 months now. I know and see the differences from Wink and am excited to get started. I always wanted to be able to have a desktop interface I never understood why Wink didn't offer it.

Excited to get started and start asking some questions. I come from an engineering sort of mindset so any time I have specific questions, it'll hopefully be detailed enough of a post that people can offer a good solution. We'll see..... heading out to the edge of that diving board now....

1 Like

If not enough, people will ask for the details they need.

Glad we pushed you off the fence :smiley:

1 Like

If wink comes back up, migrate all your stuff off of it, then put it in learning mode, block internet access in router, then you can trash the account, leaving the wink hub in repeater mode, at least you can still get some use out of it,

1 Like

While a tilt sensor works, a contact sensor works as well (I use an Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7, has worked perfectly for me for over a year with the MyQ Lite driver). To me, a contact sensor is better because it can alert you if the garage door is forced open for a crawl-under. I left Wink when I received the notice that Chamberlain functionality was ending.

One other piece that you may (will) want is Hubitat Package Manager (“HPM”), an excellent community driver by Dominic Meglio (@dman2306). Installs your drivers and apps, keeps them up to date.

Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Just want to congratulate you...many show up and ask questions w/out looking/reading first. You on the other hand looked and read. Kudos.

6 Likes

Thanks EVERYONE. To be fair.... I typed up my questions and then searched. So I was half-*ssed lazy

6 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

I agree. I am using the SmartThings sensor.

Thanks to all who posted! This thread was the last needed read to convince me. I just ordered a hub. About to say good bye to Wink, sad to see it go but no choice left. That said I am excited with all I have been reading to switch... :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You do realize we're all Hubitat employees, right?

:wink:

1 Like

Good decision.
Now, how do i get my wife a house in mexico?

1 Like

Rob a bank and run for the border?

2 Likes

To help with the issue we need. more information. With or without you.

4 Likes

LOL.... LONG story short, my company sent me to work in Mexico several years ago. It was temporary and I shared a rented house with a younger coworker who had relatives in the area. Him and his cousin set me up with someone that the cousin worked with and we wound up getting married a few years ago. I still don't 100% understand it but you get credits (I guess similar to Social Security) as you work year after year. She used those credits for a downpayment on a house and then we've been paying a monthly rate back to the government similar to a mortgage. It's nothing luxurious at the beach or anything; it's a smallish comfortable house that we use when we go to visit family. The fact that it mostly sits empty was why I wanted to load it up with smart things like bulbs, motion sensors, and door/window sensors. My (Wink) app recognized the hub but I couldn't link it to my account and I wasn't able to get anyone on the phone (out of business?) to help me. For the time being until I next go back, the house only has a Ring doorbell and two plug-in cameras inside the house aimed at the back doors.

3 Likes

Now, this morning, my Wink seems to be COMPLETELY useless. For the past week, I've at least been able to control the lights by my Android (but not on my work iphone). This morning I got my lights on and that's it. ~4 hours now and the app hasn't worked. I think they stole the last $4.99 x 20 of us left and walked out the door. My hubitat is on the way but I'm afraid it might be delayed with this snow on the east coast. It was leaving from Delaware today but who knows if that will happen. Aside from that, I'm waiting on an iphone 12 pro max for my wife and Samsung S21 Ultra for me but they'll probably be delayed in the shipping with the snow :frowning:

1 Like

They disconnected the phones as well. I would immediately call your bank and reverse the charge for the subscription.

1 Like