I’ve done some looking around here in the forum/community and read a bit. Hopefully I’m not overlooking something and, if there is one place with consolidated answers, I apologize and will accept any roasting I get for asking the questions.
Like so many others (maybe everyone and maybe I’m the ONLY customer they have left?!?) I’m done with Wink. I don’t remember how but I stumbled upon Hubitat but I have some quick questions
- I saw some posts with “new features” that looked to include code. It’s been a while, like 20 years, since I’ve done anything related to coding in any way, shape, or form. I’m sure I could figure it out but is it absolutely necessary? Or is there some features that are just included and require no knowledge of code and the coding is only more advanced once I’m comfortable (and have more time! I’m looking for a quick and simple migration) AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS THAT I CAN BE UP AND RUNNING WITHOUT CODE
- Some of the functionality that I’m looking for and maybe some of this will lead me back to the first question? I have about 25 light bulbs, 4 switches, 3 motion sensors, and 5 door/window sensors
a. I’m looking for stuff like turning certain lights on at sunset and off at 11PM. I assume it’s achievable with Hubitat? AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
b. I’m looking for some slightly more advanced things like if the front door is opened between sunset and sunrise, the front porch lights go on. Again, I assume it’s relatively easy? AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
c. Something else like if a motion sensor detects no motion for more than 10 minutes, certain lights are turned off (teenagers) AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
- I’ve recently lost functionality and interface with Chamberlain where I used to turn on garage lights when the doors opened but that’s only been a problem when I took extra long to get out of my car and go inside SEEMS THEY DO NOT INTERFACE?
- I do need to and want to be able to see the history of motion sensors for example. It helps me see who was up and moving around the house getting snacks or sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night AFTER READING A BIT, IT SEEMS DOABLE
- It seems that the original GE bulbs (of which almost all of mine are) that came through Wink are a problem but not for everyone on Hubitat? Is that the case? I’m willing and figure that I will try without a Phillips hub but will get it if I notice problems
Just a comment…. Back prior to the whole subscription debacle, I got frustrated with Wink when I couldn’t find any compatible sirens. I have a teenage daughter that is always sneaking out of the house and I wanted a siren to go off when she opened the doors/windows in the middle of the night to alert my wife and I. I found an abundance of sirens that worked with Smart things so I figured I’d migrate. I did and enjoyed it until I started to enter in the “robots” I forget what ST called them but as I was entering them in, I hit a roadblock. I think I had something like 50 automations (nothing more complicated than I’ve noted above) but I got to like 35 and then I started getting errors. I figured I screwed something up and started from scratch. This time I got to 30 and hit the roadblock. Contacted them and they made some suggestions and tried to blame the user and I would up getting blocked at 25. We did some more things and I got 45 but still hit a roadblock. After about 3 months they basically told me that I was limited in the automations I could set up. I got pissed and moved back to Wink and said F the siren. I’ve since gotten a siren that works with Wink
I’m even more pissed at Wink now that I tried to set up lights and sensors and my wife’s house in Mexico but it wouldn’t work and now Wink is charging me like 7 times for 7 accounts this month and I can’t get a hold of anyone to cancel! I really thing they’re out of business with this latest outage this whole week!!!
Anyway, any guidance anyone can give me would help. I want something relatively plug and play for now. I don’t mind tinkering and playing with code but not right off the bat to get myself up and running. I’d rather get something up and running with little fuss (disconnecting from Wink and setting up with something new will be time enough!) and then tinker later down the road of I want.