Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool

Hello, I am new to Hubitat and still learning a lot of things. I tried to get the parameters of my Inovelli 4 in 1 sensor because I dont get it to report as often as i would like, it is reporting humidity once or twice per day so I wanted to check the parameters but when i clicked on Get Parameter Report, although I see it got the parameters it got a bunch of java errors too. Am I doing something wrong, is this tool still valid?

I will appreciate any help or feedback.

Thanks

Hi All,
when you click to button in the driver is where is the response posted?
I did not see on the screen

Open up a 2nd log tab (bottom left) and the results are logged there.:ok_hand:

1 Like

Really starting to like this tool. At a location that is using a lot of the older non-Z-Wave Plus GE/Jasco dimmers and when you exclude/include they seem to have their parameters messed for Ramp delays and steps. Saved me from recommending they change their switches out.

I've update this driver and now I can get Version Report from device:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method div() on null object on line 56 (parse)

I'm new to this whole world. How do you implement this? For some reason i cant understand how this is used or where. I know what parameters i need to change and have all the paperwork just don't get how you define which device your wanting to adjust. Any help would be great Thanks.

Go to the device page for the device you want to edit.

Change the device driver to this Basic Z-Wave Tool driver. (Assuming you have installed the Basic Z-Wave Tool driver - do that if you haven't.)

After you change drivers you'll have new Commands available on your device page, like below. Use the Set Parameter command box to entern and set parameters. Then change back to your normal driver.

1 Like

Is there a way to do this with some form of automation?

Cant you use the “Advanced” button on your devices, device page to set a particular parameter ??

1 Like

You can do that. I use that for setting up associations.

The challenge for some is figuring out what to put in there. The Z-wave command class information can be very confusing at first. If you are patient and willing to research the commands it is a quick way to make those once-and-done configurations.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell I've just been trying to use your Basic Zwave Tool to update a parameter on a Fibaro contact sensor and I get nothing being reported in the logs (either std or zwave logs)
As such I cannot confirm the parameters have been set or not.
Was this device driver impacted by a recent firmware change ??
Cheers,

Not to my knowledge.

1 Like

Good Morning. I tried to use the Basic Z-Wave Tool on a GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus No neutral switch to set:
Parameter 7, size 1, value 99
Parameter 9, size 1, value 99
Parameter 8, size 1, value 1
Parameter 10, size 1, value 1

Each time I try to do this, the logs in Hubitat indicate value is not set/set to '0'
dev:522021-08-03 10:08:55.234 pm infoConfigurationReport- parameterNumber:7, size:1, value:0

(result repeatable with any of the other parameters) Other commands like get command class work:
dev:522021-08-03 10:09:44.763 pm infoCommandClassReport- class:0x22, version:1

dev:522021-08-03 10:09:44.251 pm infoCommandClassReport- class:0x6C, version:1

dev:522021-08-03 10:09:43.758 pm infoCommandClassReport- class:0x9F, version:1

dev:522021-08-03 10:09:43.253 pm infoCommandClassReport- class:0x55, version:2

dev:522021-08-03 10:09:42.793 pm infoCommandClassReport- class:0x5E, version:2

I also got this in the logs:
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.MissingMethodExceptionNoStack: No signature of method: user_driver_hubitat_Basic_Z_Wave_tool_477.logsOff() is applicable for argument types: () values: []

According to Jasco, 2 Bytes is the length. JA14299-Manual.pdf (homecontrols.com) Hoping someone can help - or perhaps help me format the advanced command. I really just want these to work like switches, but needed no neutral, so dimmer is what I've got. Thanks in advance for any help! My Hubitat is on firmware.latest (2.2.8.152) as of 8/3/21 10:00PM Eastern.

Did you try out this Jasco driver? I've used this to set these parameters.

Just a quick question. When you do 'Get Parameter Report' should Hubitat log it quickly?

Or put another way 'how quick does a device tell Hubitat it's info?'

Reason I ask is for one of my devices, the report takes 20 seconds. Sometimes 10 seconds. Sporadic. Zero devices on the hub except one device. Is this normal?

If you only have one device, you probably have a very weak mesh, and your hub is probably having a hard time communicating with the device.

I would suggest getting a Z-Wave repeater. I use the Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2 (I have 6 around the house), which is rather inexpensive and also has an internal battery backup, and can send power fail events (switch from mains to battery) on power fail so that you can shut your hub down before it’s UPS dies (you do have your hub on a UPS, don’t you?).

You might find this document useful:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

I suggest you install Tony Fleisher’s (@tony.fleisher’s) excellent Hub Mesh Details app. It can give you insight to whether there are errors, signal strength, etc.

1 Like

Yes ok i will try moving the hub closer, but i'd think it should work at 5 metres away. Worth a try anyway.

Yes a lot of devices will be on UPS in the server cabinet. It's a renovation so we have plenty of time to tweak things.

It might be because i have some offline dimmers during testing...

Well, if they were in the mesh before, that could have broken the routing. Again, take a look at Tony Fleisher’s Z-Wave Mesh Tool.

2 Likes

Yep that did the trick. A combination of distance and a thick metal lintel possibly blocking the radio signal.

Great tool. One thing I noticed, the tool fails to work if there is no internet connection due to jQuery and other assets being loaded due to the CDN. I might have a go one day doing a fork that doesn't need internet access. It means DOM manipulation will be harder of course. I should post this elsewhere, just realised.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.