Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool

@mike.maxwell

I've got a few GE/Jasco portable smart motion sensors that I'm using with generic z-wave motion sensor driver. I tried using this too to change their reset time (Parameter 18, 1 byte, value (1-60).

I changed to the tool as driver, sent the parameter, them pressed the program button on the sensor. But it doesn't appear to have changed the reset time.

I've successfully used the tool to change other sensors in my network, not sure why these aren't taking the command? Any advice?

The original ST tweaker would with only work with mains powered devices. Not battery operated ones.

Because I rely on text to speech, I can't read the code for @mike.maxwell 's entry, but I would guess it runs into the same thing: with battery powered devices, you have to wake them up before they will accept parameter changes. So a "one-size-fits-all" tweaker type driver won't work. You will have to expose the parameters through a custom driver made specifically for that device, and probably physically manipulate the sensor in some specific way before it will accept the parameter changes. So you'll also need to check the user guide.

I have the jumper in Test and the timeout is around 5 seconds. Jumper in pet 1 and 2 is around 3 mins I think. This is only for the Ecolink sensor. Other similar brands won't work due to differences in firmware.
I have a few of sensors and haven't moved over to HE yet due to laziness.

this sensor doesn't appear to have any programmable motion timeout settings, so I guess you're stuck twiddling with the jumpers.

Ya, I have all of mine set to the Test field too. Which works great, except we got a dog and he's setting the things off constantly. I wish it were configurable, because otherwise these little sensors are the best I've tried.

@JDRoberts and @mike.maxwell
Thanks for your help! Looks like I am indeed stuck with what I have.

1 Like

this is correct, for battery zwave devices they must be "woken up" in order to receive any configuration programming.
Usually the method to do this is available physically via some sequence of pushing various buttons on the device, If this isn't noted in the manual, you can try getting the device to do whatever it's supposed to do, and very shortly after that send the parameter settings using the tool.
In other words, for a contact, open/close it then send the command ect...
If this doesn't work, then as @JDRoberts mentions this tool won't work with that device.

1 Like

You would need to hit the program button on the sensor first, then send the command

Ugh, user error, thanks

Is this working for people? I tried to load it today and got the error

"No signature of method: Script1.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (Script1$_run_closure1) values: [Script1$_run_closure1@5af9368d] Possible solutions: metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure) on line 19"

are you talking about the tool?, and if so did you per chance try to create a new app using driver code?

Yes the z-wave tool at the top on github.

Received the error when trying to save the pasted code in the apps code section.

its a driver..., not an app.
from the read me in the code:
usage:
-replace existing driver with this driver
-set your paremeters
-replace this driver with previous driver

yep, sorry about that.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell Great Tool!

Any chance on enhancing the tool so we can define Associations for z-wave plus devices?

Thanks, Glenn

Probably not, we don't think a driver is the correct place to manage these.

Are there any solutions available to define associations?

Not at the moment. This is on our upgrade list for Z-Wave. Stay tuned...

3 Likes

Really, I would think the device driver would be the best place to enable configuring parameters and group association. You should take a look at how they've done it with openHAB.

@Ericm took the other approach. He created an App for Associations. Perhaps it's just semantics. The driver has the association ZWave commands implemented but doesn't know how. The app knows how, but needs the ZWave commands.

I'm not really interested in associations but @bravenel got me exited with that "Upgrade List for Z-Wave"... Anything else you can share?:grin:

1 Like