Sunsa Wand - Simple Smart Blinds

For anyone that's interested, a driver for the Sunsa Wands is now available via Hubitat Package Manager, under the "Window Coverings" category.

1 Like

It's here. :slight_smile: Pics (or it didn't happen):

Wand has a nice heft/feel, w/out being too heavy. I'll be installing it tomorrow, so no more information right now. Going to use @dcaton1220's driver, thank you very much, excellent timing! :slight_smile:

Lasagna Bolognese is my reward to myself for just being a good guy all around. Made the bolognese a couple days ago and we had it w/pappardelle pasta. There is no better use of bolognese leftovers than turning it into lasagne. :smiley: Just had to share.

2 Likes

How could you sleep, knowing it's just sitting there waiting to be installed? Yet, you found the time to eat. You need to get your priorities in order.

2 Likes

If you had sampled but a morsel of the lasagna, you would understand. :slight_smile:

Plus, wife is going to the office tomorrow, so I'll have an "uncluttered" home to work in. Gotta sneak this one in on a blind she rarely uses. :wink:

@danabw Was just wondering how the installation when and how it works. I just received one and it looks pretty easy to install? Will try in a day or so.

1 Like

I didn't actually install it yet - I have older blinds that use cords, and forgot that I would need an adapter to convert my corded control to something the wand will attach to, so I can install the Sunsa wand. The adapter is on it's way, should be here tomorrow. I may not have time to install it this week, lots of family stuff going on, so the install may get pushed to next week.

I was just curious. Thanks by the way the Lasagna look delicious.

1 Like

@Sunsa Any update on this? I learned about this Sunsa wand via youtube and I was going to by but I saw only wifi. Is the local support anywhere closer to being complete yet? I need like 6 of these but will only get 1 if it's only Wifi

If Sunsa can't meet your needs in a time-frame you're looking for, the Zigbee e-Wand has local integration, HE built-in support, and seems to work well.

Hopefully Sunsa can get their local support going as I prefer the Sunsa product mounting and wand size.

I reached out to E-Wand also, they replied back to me today

We are glad to hear that you found our site. Currently, we are still waiting on shipments of parts to arrive so that we can build more E-wands. We, unfortunately, do not have a definite date on when these parts will be delivered. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Charles Howard
Customer Service

I have one of these. I sent it to @mike.maxwell. He built it into the Generic Zigbee Shade driver. It works very well.

You have the Sunsa wand? how much would that cost to change over to zigbee? also can you or @danabw let me know if you find the Sunsa wand to be loud? I was watching some demos on youtube and they seem pretty loud

Oops, not the susna.... I have this one... I meant the one that @danabw was linking to

Oh ok, lol well they're out of stock until who knows when :frowning:

1 Like

@iecus We are going to be releasing a firmware update tomorrow for our double-tap feature. This works completely offline and is the building block for our local API. It allows for manual control to open and close the blinds by double-tapping the wand - it is pretty sweet!

To be completely candid, I think we are 3 months out for local control still, its a bit more complex than initially thought, because we don't use any hubs and we want to maintain good battery life, but we are making progress!

The only requirement will be that you are on the same network as the device you want to control locally.

3 Likes

Awesome @Sunsa thanks for the update. I have no choice but to wait then, so I will leave myself a reminder to check back in May.

1 Like

Hope you allow Vlan's.. That said I hope you release the API publicly as well!

1 Like

I have 5 of them, and I don't find them to be particularly loud. It's not silent but I certainly don't find it to be annoying.

As for converting them to Zigbee, you'd have to design a new circuit board with a zigbee controller that fit into the same space, interface with the motor and sensors, write firmware, etc. etc. If you have such skills and a lot of time on your hands, I suppose it could be done, but why?

I certainly prefer local devices vs cloud, but there's not a lot of devices like this out there so I decided to take a chance. The Sunsa devices are IMO a pretty elegant solution whose only drawback at present is the cloud interface.

1 Like

Adam:

New double-tap sounds great, a very nice ease-of-use addition. Congrats on that. :slight_smile:

Regarding local control - so this control is going to managed via Wi-Fi directly to the wand, and not via the hub? I keep my HE hubs (and all IoT devices) on a segragated IoT VLAN. Main VLAN devices can initiate connections to IoT VLAN, but IoT VLAN cannot (by design) initiate connections to Main VLAN. All IoT devices are on the same VLAN so they can talk to each other w/out hindrance. Devices on the main VLAN (like my computer/phone) can intiate connections w/the hubs/IoT devices on the IoT VLAN so they can initiate actions and communicate, but only when initiated by the Main VLAN device.

Is this type of LAN configuration going to be a problem for your local control implementation?

Can't speak for Sunsa of course, but I have the same setup and I can't see why it wouldn't work. HE and the wands would be on the same subnet. Nothing really to do with VLANs per se.