Suggestion: Upgrade the network port on the C9

Hi Hubitat crew, I hope you all had a great Xmas?

As per the topic title, I would like to suggest that serious consideration is given to upgrading the network port on the “C9” to 1000BASE-T, aka Gigabit.

It’s absolutely not needed for hub performance, but I’m noticing support for 100BASE-TX is rapidly vanishing from consumer and prosumer routers.

I used to plug my Hubitat hubs into my router as it’s on a UPS, but after upgrading to the latest Synolgy RT6600ax router, I found it wouldn’t sync at 100 Mbps. For me this wasn’t a big deal as I just plugged them into my 16 port network switch, but many folk might not have this option.

I’m also noticing a lot more folk having networking issues here on the forum which may or may not be related to 100Base-TX support vanishing (the standard has been around since 1995).

Cheers Derek

5 Likes

Is there really a need for a 1gb ethernet port? Its not like its a media box.

Nope, like I said, it’s not a performance issue, it’s an issue with support for the 30 year old 100Base-TX standard being dropped by consumer networking gear.

PS, even the 1000BASE-T standard (Gigabit Ethernet) is ~25 years old and has effectively become the minimum standard for wired Ethernet. 2.5GBase-T has become the minimum premium standard.

Good luck with that wish... I highly doubt the port will ever change in the near future.

Change is inevitable, I’m just putting this on the radar for Hubitat when designing the next hub.

If Hubitat hubs can’t be connected to home network equipment, they aren’t going to be very useful. Wifi is fine for non critical usage, but wired Ethernet is better for home automation hubs.

3 Likes

And yet we still support 10/100 speeds..... even on GB routers.

I take it as a "soft" request, not something that is needed straight away, just putting it on the radar, like you say, @dJOS . There will however, ideally, need to be a solution for both existing and new hubs. That may involve additional networking adaptors / hardware to cater for existing hubs to allow connection to higher-spec'd routers, plus inclusion of upgraded hardware in future hubs.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought ethernet was supposed to be backwards compatible? Is that not true, or only true up to a certain point?

1 Like

100Mbps is supposed to be part of even the 2.5G standard. But not even the 1GigE ports on my Synolgy router will auto negotiate down to 100Mbps.

I’ve read of many other devices that support 2.5G+ that also won’t sync at 100Mbps. I doubt its a hardware limitation, it seems more likely to be a firmware limitation.

I support making the networking hardware and software more resilient in the next version. My RadioRA 2 main repeater is 10Mbps. Works fine with my Ubiquiti switch.

3 Likes

My primary UniFi rackmount switch doesn’t support 10Mbps, so I have to connect my RadioRA 2 main repeater to its own, much smaller switch. Kind of annoying, but not the end of the world.

4 Likes

Interesting. Mine is connected to Lite 8.

I checked all my other stuff. A large chunk of them are 100Mbps. TVs, Rokus, Apple TVs (older than the newest gen), AV receivers. It would seem there is a lot of opportunity for unsatisfied customers if switches dropped support for 100Mbps devices.

4 Likes

Is it really? I haven't done research to support my assumption, but I'd be surprised if 10 was disappearing, let alone 100.

I suspect Hubitat will use whatever Ethernet component that 1) does the job, and 2) is so mass produced and cheap that there isn't any point considering anything lesser.

That all sounds like exactly what Derek was getting at... Based on his admittedly limited research he was seeing a growing number of devices that were in fact removing 10Mbit and in some cases 100Mbit from their list... So was simply raising it as a consideration for the tech included in future hubs.

4 Likes

It can be a performance issue if a user's hardware won't communicate at all. Works or it doesn't is a very big performance issue.

4 Likes

Yes, I know. I was finding the premise that 100Mbit support was being dropped by new routers astonishing and would like to know more. A cabling infrastructure in a house (e.g., mine) installed in the day of 10/100 may or may not support 1000 (maybe but not necessarily due to the cable, but also how the endpoints are wired). I'm wondering if the Synology update dropping 100 was by design or a bug.

5 Likes

I think the premise of 100mbps being enough may also be getting flawed as well as time passes. Though the clear benefit of 1gbps is more data throughput, there is also a benifit of simply a more robust TCP/IP stack and lower latency.

This situation is akin to releasing a device that only supports 2.4ghz 802.11g wifi today.

Though support for older tech is nice there does come a point were it needs to end because it can hamper new devices.

Probably one of the best examples of this and directly related to out HA endeavors is when a new user joins and talks about migrating to HE and they mention zwave 100 and 300 gen devices. One of our suggestions is always to upgrade when possible those older devices to newer ones.

3 Likes

I have few thoughts on this.

1. 1gbe offers less latency

2. 1gbe is lower power - no one is doing die shrinks on 100mbe anymore

3. 1gbe chips have crossed the cost parity and are now cheaper … if you negotiate right. (Edit: and the right manufacturers)

There is zero reason to stick with 100mbe.

6 Likes

yeah, Gigabit please. No reason to stick with 100 Mbps.
There are not many new devices coming with 100 Mbps.
It's probably even cheaper to go with Gigabit nowadays.
It's time to move forward.

1 Like

One reason why change is hard...back stock. :wink:

4 Likes