Suggestion: Upgrade the network port on the C9

On the cost point, that is what I was saying as well. In the absence of a compelling requirement to have 1gbe, it will likely come to Hubitat when there is no significant price differential, especially if slower is actually more expensive as sometimes happens with technology.

On the "zero reason" comment, I assume you are talking about devices, not routers and switches. I think a lot of people would be very sad if they couldn't find a router that was compatible with their existing home cabling infrastructure.

2 Likes

Very sorry that i missed your comment on price. I also see now that latency was mentioned previously as well.

And yes, from a device perspective.

What?! Where have you noticed that? Every single router and switch I have, even brand new Unifi Pro 2.5G POE switch, still even supports 10Mb Ethernet with absolutely zero issues (like my HP LaserJet 4500)

1 Like

He included one personal example in his post.

3 Likes

Is yours C9 looks like this?:

1 Like

Wow. Did you go on a bread-baking frenzy over the holidays?

3 Likes

That’s a good question, I might raise a support ticket with Synolgy to find out.

I have seen other cases of Cisco hardware not supporting 10/100 in certain firmware versions due to “bugs”.

Isn’t the networking hardware built into most SoC’s these days?

If we look at SBC’s which are close relatives to the Hubitat hubs imo, the last raspberry pi to come with 10/100 Ethernet was the Pi 3 in 2016. Every other Ethernet equipped pi since has come with Gigabit Ethernet (even if they couldn’t make full use of it).

3 Likes

LOL...I bet the antennas on that sucker are HUGE! :wink:

Shhhh...probably baking Thurs/Fri this week and I don't want my relatives to hear, as this batch is going to my neighbors. :smiley:

2 Likes

In most cases (the Pi 3B included), the Ethernet port is actually a USB device on the PCB. Since the Pi3B didn't have a USB 3 bus, the best it could really properly support was 100Mbit.

1 Like

Once again, thanks for your suggestion. How much more would you be willing to spend to get unnecessary additional throughput on the ethernet port?

Lest anyone reading this post think I have a bad attitude, check yourself because this entire post is a joke.

2 Likes

It’s not throughput that is the issue I’m trying to highlight, it’s compatibility.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know what the cost difference between GigE and Fast Ethernet are from a component PoV. However, I would be surprised if the cost difference was more than a dollar.

Wait a minute.... no one said anything about paying extra. We all expect it to be added and still get a generous discount. You guys aren't in business to stay in business are you????

This might be a joke as well. BUT, I do think if networking hardware is in fact deprecating the 10/100 ports and capabilites, it is a good idea to ensure that the hub will work without having to buy additional legacy switches/hardware to bridge to GB. For that, I would probably be willing to pay at least $0.02 (which I just spent on this comment)

2 Likes

I'd pay an extra $15 to get both POE and gigabyte!

Edit: Perhaps more importantly, I would replace my C8 earlier than I otherwise would if a new one came out with GB and POE.

5 Likes

I respect that OP is experiencing this (whether by design or not isn’t determined) but there simply is no evidence that consumer router/switch manufacturers are dropping 10/100. That would be a really customer hostile thing to do given the cabling infrastructure and devices that may render useless.

4 Likes

When was the last time you saw cabling that wasn’t at least Cat5?

What I would like to see fixed in the future is for the network interface to remain functional in networks that use jumbo frames.

Not because I use jumbo frames; rather it would eliminate one category of support requests from users whose hubs become unreachable because their LANs have devices that use multicast jumbo frames.

7 Likes

Would indeed help.

If only we could magically remove jumbo frames from consumer networking gear...

3 Likes

I probably should have emphasized the IF there. That said, just because something is customer hostile doesn't mean industry won't do it. I have lots of hardware sitting in a closet for cannibalization..... some of it as recent as smartthings brick (v1 hub) and some of it really old. Granted, I believe you when you say it is likely more a bug in this particular instance. But, if it is neglible price and availablility is there, it kinda makes sense to provide a wee bit of insurance. I will also say that where it is company agnostic, such as industry wide, it is less likely to happen. But, it is not completely unheard of (3G deprecation was relatively fast and there are still LOTS of vehicles with now bricked infotainment units because the consumer did not get the word in time)

2 Likes

Thinking about this a little bit more I wanted to check on what the SOC is that is part of the Hub.

The 10/100 network adapter is part of the Amlogic S905X that has been the SOC used since the C5 as I understand it. If it is that integrated network adapter that is being used then to upgrade just the SOC to support 1gbps network they would need to go to at least the S905X2 or the Gen 2 variation of that part. Even though it is a new SOC the CPU Cores are still Arm53 variants and a quad core so not much improvement there. Same memory ect. The only other potential benefit would be built in wifi/bluetooth. Would that be worth it, hard to say, but probably not.

Would have to go to a S922x for more cpu power with 4 cortex A73 cores and 2 cortex a53 cores which is a high end SOC from Amlogic, or a S905x3 which has newer more powerful cortex a55 cores. Those would give more performance along with the network upgrade to 1gbps, but then again I am sure this would add cost.

I guess my point though is unfortunately this isn't as simply as just put a different network adapter in it.

Just food for though.

2 Likes