Suggestion for Smart door latch, and how to control it

I'm looking for a device to replace my current door latch on the door that goes from our home to garage (all inside).

My goal is to have the door unlocked when one of us is near the door but be able to lock the door when we are still in the house.

I realize I'm in the Hubitat forum, however this device need not communicate with the Hubitat hub.

I was thinking about low level Bluetooth, or even fingerprint (if I could fine one that is reasonably reliable).

Can anyone suggest a direction to look? I've googled and found 100's of $60 -$100 devices that seem to fall short of actually working.

I use the lever from Weiser (assuming this is the type of device you are looking for?)

It can be a bit pricy, but works relatively well. The hardware (not the electronics) is warrantied for life. When it fails, they will send you a new one.

I just put the same Yale YRD 256 Z-Wave lock on the garage to house door that I put on the front door. Personally, I don't feel the need to have that door locked while I'm home and awake, since the garage is always closed when I'm not out there.

When we leave I lock it and when we're asleep it locks with our goodnight routine. I'm not totally in agreement with putting a lesser quality lock on that door, versus the front, but I suppose you could.

I would look for Amazon warehouse deals. That's how I bought all but one of the locks we have (there are 5 in the house - Front door, garage to house door, two on both our sheds and one on the rental suite). Sometime the deals are good, sometimes they're not. If you're not in a rush, then I would just keep checking back until you get a good deal. Check the different finishes if you're not paticular. For instance, one of our locks is black, whereas the others are oil rubbed bronze. The black one is on my shed at that back since I don't care that much about it not being matched to the other locks.

If you're specifically looking for a fingerprint capable lock, and not concerned about it being connected, the Aqara U100 is $150 new at the moment, and a Wyze lock is just $70

that is old and not even zwave plus.. i would not get an older zwwave lock.. at least a newer quickset zwave plus.. but i have had better luck with the quickset zigbee models.

When you say latch do you mean a door lock or something else?

I had a similar use case and added an Alfred DB1 (DB1-C-BL) with Z-Wave.

It has auto-unlock using the Bluetooth on your phone, and you just have to put your hand up to the lock to activate it within a set time from when you arrived at home. Seems to work pretty well although we do not lock it that often for short trips, mostly just at night.

Are you trying to unlock it automatically when you arrive home or while you are inside the home?

I have mine set to lock when I activate my going to bed rule, and then there is a lights on button in the morning that always gets pushed which also unlocks that lock (only during the morning).

Something like this;

I don't want a dead bolt as the basic goal here is to make it easy for us to open the door without having to dig out a key. Like many cars my car has a key that can stay in your pocket, yet open the door, start the car etc. I've grown used to the convenience and want to add it to my garage to house door.

Thanks, I found this one on Amazon.

Style is more to my wife's liking. I'll look into the Zigbee version.
A FOB version would be even better.

Its probably too much to ask, but I would love a fingerprint capability, if they work like they show in the advertising.

1 Like

Maybe something here?

Ultraloq has two models you might like

One with NFC (phone, keyfob, etc..) U-tec - ULTRALOQ Latch 5 NFC

One with Fingerprint: U-tec - ULTRALOQ Latch 5 Fingerprint

I thought they had some Z-Wave models but I don't see it being readily advertised on their site. They had limited z-wave functionality but could lock/unlock.

Looks like the U-Bolt is the Z-wave one, which could also work for you, the Pro has fingerprint and the auto-unlock, plus Z-Wave U-Bolt Pro Series - ULTRALOQ - Smart Lock – U-tec

I was considering this brand when I got locks but I was turned off by limited z-wave functionality, since you are not that interested in connecting it to the hub anyway, thought they could work.

If its a door you plan to lock at night, its nice having it on the hub so you can have a rule that locks it (or checks it is locked) when going to bed.

The one linked doesn’t seem to have a Z* radio. They do sell those separately for most of their models, if you need one. Zigbee, Z-Wave or Z-Wave Plus. Be aware though that some of their newer models do not come with the radios insert, so it may not be possible to add the Z* card to it - I suspect the one you linked is one of those that do not support adding the Z* functionality.

Thanks for the recommendations and information.

I learned a lot watching the UltraLOQ videos.

• FOB or NFC operation (at least theirs) is only marginally better than a key.
  • The fingerprint sensor looks promising, however I've read many folks have issues with them in cold / dry weather.

So I downloaded my requirements to just an "Electronic Lock". I would have loved the Yale as it is the only one that can be upgraded to be "Smart". I'll see better when I get at least one in my hand.

I read through the issues with the Yale, Kwikset, and Schlage. All seem to have a fair amount of 1star reviews (I guess all products have them).... but;

The Kwikset was repeatedly criticized for a "cheap feel" and "the screw that secures the entry handle" is even mentioned as an issue in the 4star reviews

The Yale Assure just seemed to have too high a 1 star to 4 & 5 star. When reading I ignore missing parts, hard to install, received used item etc. I only care about the failures after have been working for a while.

That leaves the Schlage. This unit seems to be the most robust from all reviews. I'll purchase one from Home Depot (easiest to return) and see how it goes.

So I have all dead bolts so slightly different but as for quality I can confirm your thoughts. I have a Yale and two Schalge, both have great build quality, with minimal plastic. The units are heavy, more metal, less plastic. The Yale has a more updated and modern look and feel to it. Motor is pretty quiet. The Schalge is has a slightly more dated look to it but overall very nice lock as well. Motor is a little more noisy but possibly more powerful if the not aligned perfectly. We also went with all Schalge hardware for new knobs and handles for our doors (updating from brass to bronze).

I do not have any Kwikset locks but I would agree they are probably slightly lower down than the Yale and Schlage. I would consider them more of a entry level product, good prices, decent quality, but not top notch (I worked at Home Depot a while back). Also I have looked at their locks before and just did not really like the looks of any of them. All the designs seems to be outdated.

Alfred DB1 (since I have one), is modern and sleek, updated features. The one drawback is the interior part is nearly all plastic, it feels very cheap. The battery door is barley holding on (no screw), I am surprised we have not knocked it off yet.

2 Likes

Long before Smart anything Kwikset was always viewed (In my mind at least) as the least robust of all the door locks.
I was at Home Depot today looking at locks, unfortunately they only have dead bolts. Trying them I see what you mean about the motor noise.

I'll be getting the Schlage as soon as I can find it in brushed/satin chrome. I'll post my findings.

John

Thats sad, I have not been inside HD for a while, since they built a new Menards closer to me. Its a Midwest thing, its like the WalMart of hardware stores but in a good way. Right across from the appliances you can also get some milk while you are there (not joking). Sometimes they get random stuff for sale like mattresses or who knows what. But anyway... they have so many smart locks there it is crazy, dead bolts and latches, probably 5-6 different brands. They have all the Schlage stuff I think. Couple of random brands that only do Wifi/BT stuff.

2 Likes

FWIW,
I ended up purchasing the Schlage Touch FE695. This is a NO Radio simple combination lock.
It's been installed for about a week and so far we have been very happy with it. The hardware is pretty substantial with a cast structure on the outside and inside. Programming is super simple.
The touch pad is not finicky at all and we can easily get the code inputted on the first try.

For now all is good. We'll have to see how reliable it is.

Summary:
I couldn't find a level lock with a Zigbee radio and identify how to control it so it didn't require user action of any sort. Geofencing won't work for us as we are home often and want it locked when home. The FOB is only slightly better than a key, it has to be held up to the lock. So this is were we ended up.