Static IP for Lutron integration

I’m having problems with maintaining a connection to the Lutron Hub. The IP address keeps changing, same issue with getting into the Hubitat Hub when the IP address changes, it takes me a while to connect back to it.

I’ve gone into my router and did the following:

Still the addresses change just the same. Is there another setting I am missing? Norman

I don't have a TP-Link router, but don't you have to reserve it under DHCP? That would be typically where you would reserve addresses, as DHCP is what hands out the addresses.

2 Likes

Do it directly on the lutron pro hub itself use an ip outside the DHCP pool.

I do have a range defined in DHCP

Right assign an ip directly on the lutron pro hub outside of that range

Rlithgow1, are you saying that I must assign an IP address outside of the defined addresses in my router? So if the range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 the address I should assign should be 192.168.0.2xx?

Yes, but you see in that same menu area it also has an option for an address reservation. That is where you would do it.

That said, I agree with others in that I would probably just give it a static IP address in the lutron itself, an IP address that is outside of your defined DHCP address range.

2 Likes

Correct. If you assign an ip directly on the lutron hub and it's within the DHCP pool, the DHCP could issue the same ip to another device that comes online and then you have an ip conflict.

Understood, thank you. I changed the address, time will tell.

1 Like

If you attempted a DHCP reservation, remove it. You don't want to do both.

1 Like

@ngbergeron

Remove the Bindings you set in your router also. They are not needed.

3 Likes

ARP is different that DHCP address reservation. What you need to do is clear out the ARP settings. Then go to DHCP and reserve a specific IP address for the MAC address of each device you want to maintain at a specific address. I have used TP-Link routers for the past few years. That method works for me.

2 Likes

Yesterday, the hub was at address 192.168.0.103, this morning it’s at 192.168.0.102. I can’t access it on via the local network only via AWS. How do I fix this.

Did you set an Address Reservation under DHCP in your router for the hub as was suggested above?

1 Like

Yes I did I created 192.168.0.202. How do I force that change in the Hubitat hub as I did in the Lutron Hub.

Where did you create this? If you set it as a DHCP Address Reservation on your router, your Hubitat hub should pull that address all the time. Also, what IP address do you want the Hubitat hub to be? You say 192.168.0.202 above, but I see 192.168.0.103 and 102 mentioned. Set the reservation to what you want then reboot the hub and see what happens after you've set the DHCP reservation.

I believe you were told to set the IP address for the Lutron hub on that hub itself. That is different than using the DHCP reservation for the Hubitat hub.

Please show us what you have in the circled section of your router below

By far, the simplest way to make sure the IP addresses of your devices do not change is to use the section circled above. The IP addresses that are reserved via DHCP will need to be within the range of 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199. This is how a DHCP Reservation is intended to work.

I would personally remove any true STATIC IP assignments on your Hubitat hub and/or Lutron Hub. Let the router hand out the same IP address to these devices every time they request an address using the "Address Reservation" feature of your router's DHCP server.

Please make sure that you remove the settings shown below. That is only going to make things worse in the long run.

3 Likes

I have removed the binding settings per your instructions. However I am confused as to the DHCP addresses I should assign. Earlier in this thread I was told to select an address outside of the DHCP range as the router could assign the same address to another device, so I was told not to use a value in this range. You are saying the opposite.

Is this where I should set the IP address for the Hubitat Hub?

Yep, this. This is all I ever do - no need to get any more creative. Unless you really know what you're doing (and I absolutely do not!), messing around with networking options beyond this is just a fast-lane to a big ol' mess.

Edit - hopefully obvious, but reply here intended to @ngbergeron -- I forgot to tweak that before posting.

1 Like