Stability and Temperature/Humidity Graph

I run NodeRed, InfluxDB, and Grafana on my always-on Windows 10 home server computer. It also runs Channels DVR and Plex Server. I switched from using the InfluxDB Logger App on my HE hub to using NodeRed (WebSockets from Hubitat to InfluxDB) as I was having some stability concerns with my Hubitat hub. This has been a stable configuration for my needs.

1 Like

Like @ogiewon, I also have the 3 tools required running on a Win10 box. I have had this setup for months with absolutely no issues. It allows me to capture all hub events for graphing, all log outputs for archiving (I keep ~1 months worth but I could store as much as I would like). I also use the the same setup to monitor my raspberry pi devices and a custom tank level sensor. It's VERY flexible and I'm very happy I invested the time to set it up.

Actually set up time was minimal but it took a little while to properly understand Grafana as I've never worked with graphing utilities and only had a basic understanding of databases. Even with this limitation I had my first few graphs configured in a couple of hours.

1 Like

I've tried for more than a couple of hours in my windows 7 Pc to connect influxdb with grafana unsuccesfully. That seems very complicated for my inexistents database skills. Grafana use by the way seems pretty intuitive.
I read something about installing a virtual box and then a linux distribution.... But I keep thinking it's like killing flys with nuclear weapons.

@stephack Is there any simple tutorial to install these tools in windows enviromet?

They each have the instructions in their documentation. I'll try to send you the links when I get a chance to sit at my desk. Yard work calls unfortunately.

@james.nutrainers I forgot to send you these.

Influxdb Install:
http://richardn.ca/2019/01/04/installing-influxdb-on-windows/amp/

Grafana Install:

Node Red:
https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/windows

How to put it all together:

And

6 Likes

Dang, now you’ve put all the good sauce in one place !
I’m resisting.... but for how long. :laughing:

1 Like

I just dusted off an intel NUC-based SFF PC that used to be a windows media center PC but hasn’t had much of a purpose for a few years.

Since resistance is futile, I think I know what I’ll do with it today :vulcan_salute:.

4 Likes

@stephack
Thank youuuuuuuuu!
I have the influxdb/grafana combo working right now under windows 7, i made some manual inputs to influxdb and i was working a little with grafana. This night I will install node-red. If I can connect to influxdb, I will buy hubitat at the same time!
By the way, i sold mixtile hub to a good friend of mine... Hope its functionality will be ok for him. :smile:

Isn't HE like $80 right now? Just buy the thing. You know you want to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I rather have a Pi on 24/7 than my home pc, have anyone done this on a Pi and have a brief walkthru?
I would realy line this to monitor my hous wellbeing since I put temp/humidity sensors around the house.

1 Like

It could probably be done on a PI - with some serious throughput and events/sec limits. No compiled guide that I know of for that, but I would bet there are guides out there for each individual piece...

Doing it in Docker containers on something that is already on, like a NAS, is even better.

Hi, my programing skills are wery mundane but I managed to installed Influxdb and Grafan on my Rasberry Pi.
How do I get my values from the HE to Influxdb on the rasberry?
Tried to sweep the forums but could not find any useful info I could understand anyway...

This is the simplest method. The came from @codersaur's SmartApp on SmartThings. He is now a Hubitat user, so perhaps he might have something to add???

But be forewarned, some users believe this app leads to Hubitat Hub instability over time. YMMV! :wink:

An alternative is to use Node-Red to monitor the HE hub's Events webSocket, and then store data into InfluxDB. There a thread in this forum that outlines how users are accomplishing this.

Aah, ok, thanks for the headsup!
Maybe I will go the Node-red way, I don´t want to break the HE the first week :joy:

Ok, I´m weak... @ogiewon
I installed the InfluxDB-Logger, typed im my crendentials in the Grafana program on my raspberry, like IP adress, name and password.
Is there something else I have to do? Because I got a "Network Error: Bad Gateway(502)" in Grafana.

Well, it sounds like you're missing InfluxDB, which is what the data gets written to... You've got some reading to do to figure out how to get everything set up. You may want to review the old ST instructions as a guideline for the steps involved.

1 Like

I did it!

It works like a charm. Thanks for the links and info.

1 Like

Glad you got it working so quickly! Enjoy the data! :slight_smile:

So I find myself in exactly the same error

Network Error: Bad Gateway(502)

I am using Windows to run Influx and Grafana,

I have defined a database called Hubitat.
It looks like I am receiving data but I get the error above when trying to add a datastore.

When I issue 'show series' I get loads of data back.

Show stats shows this

name: database
tags: database=Hubitat
numMeasurements numSeries

6 31

But of course I can't create any graphs. I bet I am missing something obvious here!