Stability and Temperature/Humidity Graph

Wow.
I've been reading some home assistant documentation and i found the entire process very time consuming (i have basic programming skills and i'm not familiarized with raspberry).

Well, I know now why actual solutions for complete offline management for my particular goals are so expensive, they have no competitors at all!
I think it's crazy, store some logs and showing historical data was one of the easiest things when I studied java back in the day years ago. The thing is that there are cheap and stable devices with nice apps to do temperature/humidity logging but no one can interact with anything at all. (Inkbird for example)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the ideas and your time!!!!, One thing was true for sure, this is a nice comunity. Maybe in a year or two hubitat will incorporate graphics, i will be keeping an eye!!!

Someone posted this for me in another thread:

This will probably give you what you want. I'm probably going to do this, but use Elastic instead of MySQL.

I highly doubt it, actually. I would guess the plan for that is users can handle it externally via grafana, et al, if they want it.

I use grafana/influxdb on a local computer to do this:

@signal15
NodeRed procedure seems very functional but unstable, lets ask jrau272 if there is a way to use just influxdb for capturing logs.
@jrau272
That is awesome!!! Is exactly what i was looking for. But i would need another device working. This extra computer could be something like raspberry? I need the thing to be portable, like a tablet or a small laptop. The amount of money i would save could perfectly justify buying a 2nd hand 13" laptop for sure.
Noob question 1:
Running influxdb and grafana could be done on a android tablet?
Noob question 2:
Will this capture process involve more tools than influxdb and will affect hubitat stability in any way?

You could definitely run it on a pi. You’ll want something that is on all the time for logging purposes, so a laptop may not be ideal.

I’m still using the influxdb logging app.

Not much overhead. The nodered setup is potentially less overhead, but I haven’t had any issues.

I run NodeRed, InfluxDB, and Grafana on my always-on Windows 10 home server computer. It also runs Channels DVR and Plex Server. I switched from using the InfluxDB Logger App on my HE hub to using NodeRed (WebSockets from Hubitat to InfluxDB) as I was having some stability concerns with my Hubitat hub. This has been a stable configuration for my needs.

1 Like

Like @ogiewon, I also have the 3 tools required running on a Win10 box. I have had this setup for months with absolutely no issues. It allows me to capture all hub events for graphing, all log outputs for archiving (I keep ~1 months worth but I could store as much as I would like). I also use the the same setup to monitor my raspberry pi devices and a custom tank level sensor. It's VERY flexible and I'm very happy I invested the time to set it up.

Actually set up time was minimal but it took a little while to properly understand Grafana as I've never worked with graphing utilities and only had a basic understanding of databases. Even with this limitation I had my first few graphs configured in a couple of hours.

1 Like

I've tried for more than a couple of hours in my windows 7 Pc to connect influxdb with grafana unsuccesfully. That seems very complicated for my inexistents database skills. Grafana use by the way seems pretty intuitive.
I read something about installing a virtual box and then a linux distribution.... But I keep thinking it's like killing flys with nuclear weapons.

@stephack Is there any simple tutorial to install these tools in windows enviromet?

They each have the instructions in their documentation. I'll try to send you the links when I get a chance to sit at my desk. Yard work calls unfortunately.

@james.nutrainers I forgot to send you these.

Influxdb Install:
http://richardn.ca/2019/01/04/installing-influxdb-on-windows/amp/

Grafana Install:

Node Red:
https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/windows

How to put it all together:

And

6 Likes

Dang, now you’ve put all the good sauce in one place !
I’m resisting.... but for how long. :laughing:

1 Like

I just dusted off an intel NUC-based SFF PC that used to be a windows media center PC but hasn’t had much of a purpose for a few years.

Since resistance is futile, I think I know what I’ll do with it today :vulcan_salute:.

4 Likes

@stephack
Thank youuuuuuuuu!
I have the influxdb/grafana combo working right now under windows 7, i made some manual inputs to influxdb and i was working a little with grafana. This night I will install node-red. If I can connect to influxdb, I will buy hubitat at the same time!
By the way, i sold mixtile hub to a good friend of mine... Hope its functionality will be ok for him. :smile:

Isn't HE like $80 right now? Just buy the thing. You know you want to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I rather have a Pi on 24/7 than my home pc, have anyone done this on a Pi and have a brief walkthru?
I would realy line this to monitor my hous wellbeing since I put temp/humidity sensors around the house.

1 Like

It could probably be done on a PI - with some serious throughput and events/sec limits. No compiled guide that I know of for that, but I would bet there are guides out there for each individual piece...

Doing it in Docker containers on something that is already on, like a NAS, is even better.

Hi, my programing skills are wery mundane but I managed to installed Influxdb and Grafan on my Rasberry Pi.
How do I get my values from the HE to Influxdb on the rasberry?
Tried to sweep the forums but could not find any useful info I could understand anyway...

This is the simplest method. The came from @codersaur's SmartApp on SmartThings. He is now a Hubitat user, so perhaps he might have something to add???

But be forewarned, some users believe this app leads to Hubitat Hub instability over time. YMMV! :wink:

An alternative is to use Node-Red to monitor the HE hub's Events webSocket, and then store data into InfluxDB. There a thread in this forum that outlines how users are accomplishing this.