ST to HE migration plan questions

Made a ton more progress today. Only things left on ST are three webCoRE automations for slowly fading some dimmers over a 30 minute period. I don't think I'm going to be able to recreate these in RM...gotta think about them for a bit.

Other than that, I'll keep ST up just for Harmony keys, Google Home integration, and app control until the HE capabilities are there.

Did you leave the Dimmers on ST or move them over and then use Other Hub to create virtual?

Other Hub/virtual. I'm trying to get creative with some rules and virtual devices. Might be able to come up with something.

I was able to recreate the piston above in RM, so all my device automations are now on HE :slight_smile:

I ended up removing Harmony from HE, I don't want to maintain and sync it in two places and I don't have a good way to get instant status updates in HE, where I do in ST. The only thing I need to know for my HE automations is if either of my two hubs has an activity running, so I created a virtual switch that gets turned on by ST whenever an activity is on, and used that to run my automations in HE.

Harmony instant updates, Google Home, and one IFTTT webhook that uses webCoRE as an intermediary are the only things stopping me from shutting off my ST hub now.

Curious... What is your method to receive instant updates in ST for Harmony Activity changes initiated from the Harmony remote control?

Harmony can control ST devices. So after the Connect app created the virtual switches in ST, I authorized Harmony to control them, then added each activity switch to it's activity in Harmony. Then when the activity is started with the remote it turns it's own switch on in ST. Same with when the activity ends, it turns it's own switch back off.

2 Likes

Ahhh! Very creative! Thanks for the information.

1 Like

I remember looking at something like this in ST a while back but thought it was broken. I'll give it a shot again when I get home.

Lol....I just searched the ST forum for Instant Updates and guess who I found in the post I was referencing above...Cookie Monster aka @destructure00. I thought your name was familiar.

So just my luck, I think I read your ST post right around the time the Harmony servers were giving trouble. Had I checked back a few weeks later , I would have seen that they resolved the 2xcommand issue. Thanks for bringing it over to HE.

@halfrican.ak, you might want to look at this option for instant updates well.

1 Like

Yeah there was a week or two period where things were weird. It worked well before then, and has worked well since then too. I did add a 2 second delay between an activity shutting off and updating the Other Hub switch, I have seen on occasion when switching activities that one switch will turn off before the other one turns on. I'm using the 2 second wait as a buffer period to keep some lights from shutting off and then turning back on.

In my post about "instant updates" workaround, I believe I noted that I have already used this method. My goal was to completely get away from ST, which my method has achieved. My method also allows up to 100 different virtual switches based on the dimmer level which could have benefits depending on the goal.

That being said, yes this a reliable method for anyone who doesn't have Lutron Caseta integration and/or a Caseta smart plug they want to sacrifice solely for this purpose. The biggest disadvantage of leaving the ST hub in the mix is the reality that you can't disable the zigbee network which is a waste of precious 2.4ghz channel availability.

2 Likes

I didn't think about that. I have no plans to pull my ST hub out of the deep dark depths. I was hoping this all happened in the cloud since these were virtual devices. Reviving ST is a non starter for me. :disappointed:

Are all GE switches affected by this? I have a on/off toggle switch that I'm starting to realize doesn't really report. I thought this only affected older GE devices...

@keithcroshaw, this isnt the same issue with the GE Zwave switches. This has to do with the Logitech Harmony hub not showing the current status of AV activities. No patent related problems here :wink:

1 Like

You know, I can't say I tried using the ST integration without the ST hub up and running. Maybe someone could try it to confirm?

ah

If I can find the time today, I'll give it a go and let you know.

If you try this, using the Hubitat official ST to Hubitat integration, you will need the ST hub up and running on the network. The Hubitat SmartApp, "Send Hub Events", uses HubAction to transfer data on the LAN.

sendHubCommand(new physicalgraph.device.HubAction(msg, physicalgraph.device.Protocol.LAN, "${ip}:39501"))

I am not sure about how @krlaframboise's Other Hub software works... It might be a better option as you could replicate the Hubitat Hub's 'Harmony Activity Switches' back into ST, where they could then be manipulated by the Logitech Harmony Connect integration directly. Again, that's if the 'Other Hub' integration does not use HubAction as well.

A nice metal box over top of it sure would reduce the 2.4ghz interference. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We just had a big discussion about this yesterday. Check this thread:

1 Like