Sort of off topic, but has any one had experience with the Eufy video door bell?

I suspect the Eufy ioBroker adapter and Node-Red flow are both based on the same underlying eufy-security-client library. If notifications work fine in Node-Red but not ioBroker, then the bug must be in the adapter implementation. Fortunately, I have not experienced an issue with the ioBroker adapter failing to notify when my wireless doorbell rings (which I use to initiate an HTTP call to Hubitat). BTW, the ioBroker adapter does give you access to motion detection and general vs person motion detection. I'm hoping @bropat can fix the ioBroker adapter data refresh issue, although I will take a look at Node-Red.

Quick update. I have installed Node-red and linked it to eufy security, but haven't done anything more. It doesn't feel that intuitive to me so I am not sure how to use it. So need more research there.

I also think the types of things I want to do may not be achievable.

1. When my cameras or doorbell detect motion during the night I want it to trigger other events on the Hubitat.

2. I would like to turn the camera alarms on and off. Most of the time I don't use the alarms, but I would like to turn them on when I go away.

I have been tracking and reading this thread and I am a bit confused as to what works and doesn't. Would anyone who has the following features working with Hubitat please spell out instructions for setting it up?

Features:

1. Show camera stream and/or event video on TV when motion detected on a eufy camera.

2. Detect motion and cause an action to trigger in Hubitat and/or Google Home. Example on eufy door bell or eufy 2c camera motion detection turn on porch light.

3. Announce motion detection on Google mini speaker.

I have Eufy doorbell, spotlight cam, 2C, and one of their internal cameras. I also have Google Home, their old streaming dongle, Hubitat, Ras PI, Roku, and harmony hub available to use.

Thanks,

YapFlapper

I will have a crack at answering your questions.

1. In order to do any of this, you need get a motion notification out of the Eufy system. I have set up iobroker on a RPI and there is a motion detected field but I cannot get it to trigger any scripts in iobroker. I am not sure if this something that will work and I am unlikely to pursue it any further.
  2. The other way is to use tasker on an android phone. I used this to detect when the doorbell is rung and then use a GET http to a cloud hubitat end point. This then triggered a rule on my hubitat that played a chime and message on my Google home. If you have an old phone, you could use this instead of your main phone.
  3. The Eufy system can stream to a Google Chromecast once Eufy Security is added to Google Home. The trouble is, as you cannot send commands to Google devices, I am not sure how you get the video to appear based on motion. The other thing is that it takes about 5 seconds for the feed to be established, so you might miss the action.

Not sure if this helps!

I have done #2. I used Node Red with the Eufy and Hubitat nodes to play "The Jetons' Theme" when the Eufy doorbell senses motion that is a person. The action and the theme were my wife's request.

That's really interesting. Only had a quick look at node red and didn't find that intuitive. Will go back and have another look at it. In fact @wayne.pirtle would mind sharing how you did it with node red?

You can use something like the Harmony Hub or maybe Broadlink Hub to initiate turning on the media center, switching inputs to the HDMI port with the Google Chromecast device and then initiating the command to stream the camera that issued the motion detection. That might work.

So I am thinking tasker on an old Android phone to detect the motion announcement. If it can identify camera by name, then I think I can stream that device to the Chromecast or maybe Roku.

I will play around with this and let you know what I can come up with.

YapFlapper :bulb:

I would like to buy a battery video doorbell. Eufy's offering seems the best.
The only important integration for me is to set it to 'away' & 'home' mode through Hubitat.
If I read this thread correctly, I could do this with the driver from @scottmil, correct? And is it available in Hubitat Package Manager?
Thanks

@stephane Not quite. Scott's drivers pull the information from iobroker. I have installed the latter on a raspberry pi. Once up and running, yes you can change modes via hubitat. I have gone another stage and I can do via Google Assistant, which is useful when I forget to do it when I leave the house!

You can set home or away on Eufy through Alexa routine. May also be able to create a virtual switch on Hubitat that would trigger an Alexa routine to set Eufy home or away.

Thank you both.
I don't have Alexa. And it sounds like @tanneronline used Google Assistant to access iobroker (and I don't know what that is).
Does the Eufi app have Geofencing to automatically set Away/Home?

@stephane If you open up the Eufy app and tap security, you will find a geofenceing mode in there.

1 Like

And you can also use Google devices to set the Eufy into home and away mode. You will need to link Eufy Security into Google Assistant first and then you can issue commands "Set homebase to away"

1 Like

@tanneronline ....I have linked Eufy security with Google Assistant and can issue verbal commands to "Set homebase to away/home", but what I would really like to do is use an HE rule to control Eufy's homebase mode (away/home). I thought I could use a virtual switch to control a google routine but Google's routines do not accept switches as triggers. I dont have a need to run the cameras on a TV or monitor. I only want to control the Eufy home/away modes from HE.

So is my only other option to install use iobroker with scottmill's drivers? Can I install iobroker on a Window's 10 desktop that runs 24/7? I don't have a Raspberry pi. I guess I could learn to set up an Rpi but would prefer not to go down this path if I dont have to.

Edit: I installed Iobroker on my windows desktop but could not get it to work with @scottmil 's driver. Eusec adapter would not install because of out of date js-controller using Iobroker windows installation. Oh well....at least I can control the EUFY modes from google assistant. I guess I may have to look into getting a Raspberry pi.

@Sakman I had never used a RPI before embarking on my project. I was given an older model and I had it setup and running iobroker within a couple of hours. It was then a short process to install Scott's drivers and setup HE.

1 Like

Good to know...Thanks

That will be my next project....I just have to convince my wife that just have to have it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:rofl:

Mine doesn't know - because it was so cheap and small it was configured and hidden before she came home!

2 Likes

@wayne.pirtle

I finally have Node-Red running and am now dangerous. I want to try implementing some of my ideas, but I could use some guidance. Do you mind sharing your setup, including NR flows?

YF

@scottmil I have installed iobroker on a Raspberry Pi4 and installed Eusec, which seems to connect to my homebase. I am trying to install your driver and am getting errors. If I use port 8087 the error is "connection refused". If I try port 8081, which is what Iobroker is using, the errors scroll down the screen with "No Json response received". I am not sure what I am doing wrong. All I want to do is control the camera system modes from HE. Your suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

Edit: Solved......I had to install the Simple RESTful API adapter in IoBroker. Once I did this and checked that it was configured for port 8087, the driver worked great. I am now able to add some simple actions to my rules in HE to control the camera modes based on presence sensors.

Thanks to @scottmil for your work in developing this driver.
Thanks to @tanneronline for your suggestions

1 Like

Glad you got it up and running. BTW, I replied to your issue this morning recommending that you install the Simple Restful API with port 8087, but without thinking I used an email reply (which bounced) rather that reply using this forum.

1 Like