Sonoff SNZB03 sensor not reporting

Hi a relative newbie to HE, I have just got me a Sonoff SNZB03 motion sensor and it has paired ok to my hubitat. It shows as being active and a good battery but I am not getting any signals from the sensor, nothing is showing on the Logs page only that it is active. Am I missing something or are they not for use on hubitat. I am a UK user.

TIA

The first thing I would try is re-pairing it.
Do not delete the original device as HE will discover it as an existing device.

Put you hub in Zigbee discovery mode.
Hold the button in until the led flashes 3 times and the device goes into discovery mode.
It will be discovered as an existing device.
Fingers crossed it will work OK.

BTW what driver are you using?

Hi bobbies, thanks for reply yes I re paired and OK, but still not reporting. You have mentioned what driver I am using, I have not installed any driver as I thought sonoff was supposed to work from hubitat directly. Do you recommend a driver?

Regards User 437

I have around a dozen of these and they paired and worked right out of the box. I did find that i needed to bend the battery contacts a little to ensure a good, solid connection

They should work OK with the Generic Zigbee Motion sensor I believe.
I got rid of all mine as I was getting the very occasional false motion detection.

If it's not working with the generic zigbee motion sensor, then it will work fine with markus' driver. You can use that driver from Hubitat Package Manager.

I now have the marcus driver installed, but the instructions say to then click on the devices tab and then select the add virtual devices tab. But add virtual devices tab is not showing on my hubitat which is the latest Hubitat Elevation with the latest update installed which may be differant to the instruction. So I re added the sonoff sensor as has been suggested but the sensor is still not reporting. Am I missing something ???

Regards user 437

I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at but you need to do the following.
Install Markus's driver. (I believe you have done this).
Go to the device page for your motion sensor.
Scroll down to the device drop down.
Open the drop down menu and scroll down till you find the 'user' section. (Or just type in sonoff and a small number of drivers will appear).
Select the newly installed driver. (Zigbee - Sonoff Motion Sensor).
Click on 'Save Device' further down the page.
You have now selected the new driver.
Now re-discover the device again without deleting it.

Followed to the letter, but still not reporting. But I get a message " Looks like you’re having trouble pairing your device. Please perform a factory reset before attempting to pair the device again. If device still won’t pair after factory reset, please review best practices for building solid Zigbee mesh. "
Will try factory reset on sonoff sensor.

Thanks fv much or info

Regards user 437

Hey I can add to this, I coincidentally just got one of these today and was having the exact same issue. I tried the different drivers, same deal. However what I did to fix it was based on someone somewhere on here saying the battery contacts are wonky, so I bent the tabs out slightly, but more importantly I stuck a thin piece of like 3m foam tape on the back cover to create some pressure on the battery, and it fired right up and started reporting. If you're still having issues give it a shot.

3 Likes

Yep, that was me in this post! Once I did that, they’ve been rock solid

1 Like

Same issue with their contact sensors. I was cheap (obviously since I bought these) and used a folder over piece of paper from the box it came in. The metal battery cage is so flimsy.

1 Like

I'm surprised at the negativity towards the SNZB03 in some of these posts. Sure, they're maybe not the state of the art sensors, but (once the battery connectors are adjusted) I've found them to be easy to pair, fast-reporting sensors that are light on battery use. Cheap sure, but I for one will be buying more of them

I’ve found the same to be true of the contact sensors.

1 Like

I've never used the contact sensors but I use the SONOFF SNZB-02 sensors and they've been a solid choice for me.

1 Like

So far I’m pretty impressed with these for the cost. Are they imperfect yes, but not every space needs $40 Hue sensors etc. When you can get damn near 3 of these for the cost of a single Hue, I think they’ll be great to fill in the gaps of less used spaces. As long as the batteries don’t crap out after like 3 months anyway.

2 Likes

I've been having problems with all of my sonoff sensors. My temp/humidity sensors only like to report one or the other. My contact sensors all dropped on a weekly basis, the motion sensors are absolute nightmares if you change the batteries. I have yet to get one to work after battery change. Yes I know about the crappy connectors.

If anybody knows how to fix any of this I'm all ears but for now I'm throwing them all away and replacing with something else everytime it fails and can't be fixed in 10 minutes.

Sonoff and Sengled are absolute 2 thumbs down for me. I HATE them. Whoever designed these should be fired.... From a cannon.... Into a wall.

I have several of each and I dont have any problems with them, in fact they are better than my 2 hue sensors, so cant say why you are having a problem. hopefully you sort it out

Maybe consider changing your Zigbee channel?

I have the SNZB03 and it is working okay in our powder room - a little slow (slower than my old Iris V2s) but functional. Some have reported issues after a couple of months - I'm just about to hit that threshold and things are working. :crossed_fingers:

Battery is still reporting 100% which doesn't seem correct..

1 Like

I've had exactly the opposite experience with the Sonoff sensors. They have been rock solid for me. That said, what's your repeater situation look like? As @erktrek pointed out, what's your zigbee channel? If you haven't, I'd put it at 20 and see how they behave. The more the better. I will also say that the NYCE sensors are still my absolute favorite....

1 Like