Somfy ZWave Blinds (Dimmer)

Sorry, maybe I’m using the wrong z-wave term. But what I mean is, the shade and the remote are both paired to my ST hub, but the remote can also directly control the shades even if the hub is unplugged.

Thanks I’ll take a look.

right, I understood what you meant, that functionality won't change.

The point I was making being there's no point in pairing this controller to HE unless you wish to use the button functions for something else in addition to controlling the shades via the direct association of the controller and the shade.

You don't want to associate this controller directly with the shade, then in HE use the button functions to control that same shade, make sense?

In other words this controller will control the shade via direct association with the shade or by using the button features and an HE automation, but not both.

Got it, thanks.

I guess I figured the remote wouldn’t work at all with the shade unless paired to the hub as a button too.

Now I think I understand it’s the button functionality for executing other actions that would be the only real difference.

Thanks.

1 Like

Somfy says the button controller and the blinds need to be on the same ZWave network. I remember the instructions for ST were to pair the blinds with ST, then pair the remote to ST, then pair the remote to the blinds.

Hub update 1.1.0 * Added driver for Somfy 2 button controller. Did you guys manage to get them discovered? I don't see anything even in the live log during discovery.
My steps. exclude first then with a paper clip, hold the button until lights flashing with discovery open.

I did get them to work, and right before the update. The new driver is nice to have, but isn't needed in order to get them to work with the blinds. Paired as a device works fine. Turns out the problem I was having was just that I didn't know there was a different method to pair secondary devices. These are the steps I did to get them to work with the blinds. The remotes are working perfectly for me now.

Pair to Hubitat

1- factory reset it, hold the program button with a paperclip until the remote is reset.

2- open a window with the zwave information page

3- open a separate window and start device discovery

4- hold down the program button on the controller until green flashes. (Around 3 seconds)

5- refresh the zwave information page until you see the device show up with the discover button in the right column

6- click the discover button,

7- Exit the device discovery page

8- Find the device in the Devices page, and rename to something meaningful.

Pair to Blinds

9- Quick tap the program button on the back of remote with a paperclip.

10- Hold down button on blinds for around 3 seconds until the green light flashes.

11- Blinds should jog to let you know they are paired.

Thanks for the steps @DeveloperDavidB. I don't think I would be able to get them connected without that little info on the Z-Wave information page.

OK, so I finally got around to unpairing a couple shades from ST and connecting them to hubitat.

The shades seem to work fine with generic z-wave shade driver. On/off, open/close, and set level in the device settings page all work.

I had forgotten about @DeveloperDavidB's last post so I didn't follow these instructions to get the remotes to remain connected to the shades as secondary controllers.

All I did was follow the Zebra blinds youtube instruction video, the remotes paired to the hub as devices, I didn't even try to change the driver and I was able to pair each remote to its respective shade as a secondary controller.

Not sure if there's any downside to what I've done, it all seems to be working OK.

However now I have a problem with Alexa voice control. I used to be able to set the shades to anywhere between 0 and 100% with Alexa, but now I can only turn on/off. @mike.maxwell is there any way for me to restore that functionality?

Paring the controller to HE is optional, if you do this it does expose the remote as a button controller, which you can use like any other button controller.

We went back and forth on this when I developed this driver, I don't remember the exact details, maybe it was home kit which was seeing these as dimmers, and not shades.
So the community wanted the dimmer capability removed from the driver.

I'm pretty sure that within our alexa skill we can map shades into dimmers, so yes this may be possible to restore...

Thanks for the info.

I tried pairing the remote to the hub first even though I only intend to use it for local control of the shade because, according to the shade distributor, the remote has to be on the same z-wave network a the shade first.

That would be helpful, since when I “open” my bedroom shades I actually like to set them to 90%. Thanks.

I have this same issue. Someone in this thread advised I put the blinds in their own group and then create a Routine to control the group. This way I can say Alexa "Open the curtains" or "Alexa close the curtains"

Thanks but that won’t help will it?

I can create an Alexa routine that uses the words “open” and “close,” in fact I was already doing this with the shades paired to ST.

The issue is that I want “open the shades” to mean dim the shades to 90%, not turn on (to 100%).

That doesn’t appear to be currently supported, but from what mike said, it could be in the future.

Does it work to trigger a virtual switch that would set the level to 90% via a RM rule?

Yeah that would work I suppose.

Direct control of a device is preferable, since it hopefully runs a little faster and is easier to setup.

Is there any shade that works with HE that can be fully controlled directly by Alexa? Like with open/close?

Lutron Serena shades maybe?

It’s a voice assistant. It’s always cloud based! :wink:

Sure fair enough, what I really meant was I don’t want to setup a virtual switch for every shade :wink:.

How many shades do you have?! :confused:

LOL, only five, in two different groups.

So adding a couple virtual switches and then creating another rule or two isn’t exactly the end of the world.

But it would still be nice to have real open/close, and set level commands for a z-wave shade when using Alexa voice commands.

1 Like

Don’t know why I did not notice this earlier.

I can’t seem to get the device state to update from on to off.

Open/close work and the device works but the state is always on.

I noticed because I am trying to create a conditional statement in RM for when curtains are off as there is no window shade condition in RM. See the attached screenshot.

Does it update if you hit refresh?, just trying to see whats missing from the driver...