Somfy ZWave Blinds (Dimmer)

Hello and a good day to you all.

I am quite new to both this Community as well as the Z-Wave/Zigbee technology. Unfortunately, I have very limited programming knowledge... :disappointed: ...but do enjoy using my Alexa to control most of my devices/lights... :grinning:

For the past few days (awaiting the arrival of my 'Hubitat Elevation' hub) I have been following this conversation (thread) about Somfy - I just installed two motorized Somfy controlled shades.

Unfortunately, I have noticed (in this conversation) a missing element available with the Somfy motors: a 'home' position. The Somfy motor operating the Bali shades that I just bought have three preprogrammed positions, the upper limit (the highest position a shade can reached), the lower limit (the lowest position a shade can reached) and the home position (usually set to the midpoint of a shade but can be adjusted to any points between the upper and lower limit). The 'home' position cannot be set or used with a two-button remote control - the 'home' position can only be set and used with either a 'single-channel' remote control or a 'multi-channel' remote control (both optional purchases). The 'single-channel' remote control and the 'multi-channel' remote control allow the user to manage two (or more) shades with only one control.

As mentioned in a previous conversation, it would be better if a user (such as myself) could use 'human-like' commands to control the shades - indeed, I would prefer to tell my Alexa to 'Close my bedroom shades' (or 'Open my bedroom shades') rather then, for example, 'Turn off my bedroom shades' or 'Set my bedroom shades to off'. I would also like to be able to tell my Alexa to 'Home my bedroom shades' to bring the shades to the 'home' position with the proposed option to set the setPosition() to 50%.

Sorry for the length of this message - I wanted to provide as much information as I could - the next time, I promise to have shorter replies... :worried:

2 Likes

Sorry it took me so long i'm adding support for this right now.

Nice. Looking forward to the updated homekit app.

The somfy blinds just use the generic zwave shade driver correct?

Updated the home bridge app. Still going through changes and testing (so I’ll report the homebridge thread for that). BUT curtains return as a switch and there is no ability to change the device type to window shade.

I only see switch, light or fan.

My device type in HE is Generic Z-Wave Shade

Hey @DeveloperDavidB, were you be able to get the remote discovered in hubitat? I couldn't get them to join either.
Also the pain of not having dimmer capability in the shade driver.

Nope. Haven't tried again in the last month or so. Never got them to join. Figured I would wait a while for @mike.maxwell to fry some bigger fish, then ask again nicely. I would love have these work in Hubitat. I don't really understand why they won't join since they are certified ZWave+ . I no longer have it setup in ST because I have completely shut ST down, but this is a screenshot of the device info that I captured when it was joined.

I wish I could sit here and tell you that I can whip up a driver just based on that info, but alas, such is not the case.

this was removed as I believe homekit, and likely other integrations determined that the blinds were dimmers, once that capability was removed these devices were seen as shades.

Mike, I would gladly donate one to the cause if that would help? If so just PM me an address to send it to.

2 Likes

No Return Necessary!

I just wanted to say +1 for trying to get the shade remotes integrated with the hub. Other members of my household like the physical remotes. Sure I could replace them with two button picos, but they're already there on the wall next to each shade.

If @DeveloperDavidB is donating for the cost of the remote in order to do testing, I am happy to donate towards the cost of your favored beverage during said testing process (caffeinated, alcoholic, skim milk, whatever. I don't judge, :coffee::cocktail::beer::milk_glass::wink:).

1 Like

Hey Mark, Just wanted you to know Mike responded and I sent him the remote!

3 Likes

Jesh, I wish these were all this easy...

@DeveloperDavidB, please PM me your return address, I'd like to send this back to you, not that it isn't cute and all, but I have so many button controllers...

3 Likes

Thank you so much Mike! I figured it was in Que behind the lock code manager so I didn't expect you to get to this so quickly! Much appreciated

1 Like

Sometimes you need a break from the real brain strainers, and you toss an hour at some potential low hanging fruit, which in this case panned out.

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks Mike!

I know which devices I’m moving over from ST this weekend. :metal:

Actually, quick question before I unpair my shades and their remotes from ST.

I have the shades and remotes directly associated (I think that’s the term), so that even when ST takes a dump, I can still raise/lower the shades.

While the likelihood of a hubitat hub outage is lower, it’d still be nice to have the same association setup just in case.

Is this possible?

Probably, but then what would be the point of having the the device in HE as a button controller?
Also, the driver for this whilst completed won't be available until the next release comes out.

Hey Mark, Mike mentioned that the pairing method is different with these since they are secondary controllers. Here is a link Mike provided which details how to pair these. This is probably why we have been unsuccessful in getting these to join the mesh.