[Solved] Zigbee Instability is back!

Wow, honestly I'm disappointed, mostly because nobody answered.

1 Like

Actually it's been 2 weeks today. The last response was 1/2.

Feels like SmartThings support.

prior to your hub crashing (it does sound like a corrupt hub) did your Xbee show any duplicate or odd devices that could not be accounted for?
I did have a bad outlet once that was causing tons of interference and it even added an odd extra ghost device into my mesh which was causing lots of my devices to fall off.
I do have 1 iris but not a fan of them since they do not work with my xiaomi devices but if I am careful when adding xiaomi devices it is fine.

I did not see anything in the device list for the Zigbee radio. Unfortunately support has not answered the ticket for 2 weeks so I cannot say if they've spotted anything.

You should try PMing @bobbyD.

1 Like

Thanks for the ping. Steve has been in direct contact with our head of engineers, here in the community for the past few days.

Steve, sorry for the troubles. We are still actively investigating your case, despite the fact that you have a large amount of custom code.

About a week ago, we have asked your permission to continue working with you, here, in the community, giving the number of tickets that you have created, as well as the multitude of problems your hub is experiencing, which are not common.

Our head of engineering has been in direct contact with you, for the past few days. I personally believe that your Zigbee problems are largely related to interference, however, our engineers are determined to make sure there are no other issues going on with your hub, that's why they reached out to you directly.

If you'd like to resolve your issues as quickly as possible, I suggest using only built-in drivers and apps, for the time being, to eliminate any issues that might be arising from improperly formatted custom code.

1 Like

@bobbyD hold on a sec, I take great exception to the claims that you have made in your post.

1. You included @chuck.schwer in a private group message. The title of that message is "Lock"
  2. The only topic discussed in our PM was the Schlage BE469 locks that would not pair.
  3. You and I briefly discussed the Zigbee issues on 1/2. We have not had further discussion since.
  4. Chuck has not at all discussed the Zigbee issues with me.

The bottom line here, not to be confrontational, is that there has been ZERO discussion on the Zigbee issues since 1/2. Not between you and I, nor with Chuck or anyone else on staff. In fact, the Lock issue is the only issue that support has responded to since the 1st.

1 Like

I understand your concern regarding the number of child devices per repeater. The good news is that according to the following test results (albeit somewhat dated), your Iris 3210-L outlets should handle up to 13 child devices each. Maybe un-pair all but ~15 of them to see if things get better? Then you can start slowly adding more devices back in until something breaks. This could point to a faulty zigbee device, or some sort of yet unknown limitation with Hubitat.

I have to admit the conversation above saddens me a bit. I have nothing helpful to add to the conversation other than the fact that I and others here, are hopeful that you can get this sorted out soon because you seem like a very patient and knowledgeable person that would make a great addition to the community.

Good Luck!

Stephan

3 Likes

What driver are you using for your Zigbee smart outlets?, and if it's not the built in one, can you post a link to it please?

1 Like

Unfortunately I just cannot remove them. The 30+ plugs are all being used right now. Removing half of them would leave a lot of lights with no way to turn them on or off. It's simply not an option I'm afraid.

With a considerable amount of disagreement from the boss, I'm going one step further and have ordered 11 4th generation SmartThings outlets. Those will arrive on Friday. I haven't quite figured out a dispersal pattern for them. The quantity is sufficient to replace the plus in the room where the hub is, and an adjoining room. Both rooms are badly affected by this issue. I may also just replace 1 or 2 plugs in each room on the first floor.. Honestly have not decided the best course of action.

BTW... Support is pointing to AlexaTTS as the reason why my hub was crashing last night. Are there any updates for that?

It frankly angers me. I was accused of being deceptive in a PM today by a Hubitat staff person. I don't get offended easily, but this one put me over the top. I've been more open and honest about everything that going on, troubleshooting steps, etc. If anything, I feel like I'm over communicating here and probably annoying some of the readers here.

Regardless, I've never, and I mean never, had such an accusation made against me, as a customer of any company. It's disappointing. Those kind of unchecked attitudes will severely limit any success this platform will ever see.

It's completely custom. I'll PM it to you shortly.

So they are supporting your custom drivers. Got it.

1 Like

Have you considered switching to the built in driver for the iris outlets on the problem room plugs just for trouble shooting purposes. There’s probably nothing wrong with your custom driver but I would try it just out of curiosity.

Where do you see that? I don't.

That's where it started.

I'm afraid you both have it backwards.. They are NOT supporting my custom drivers. ALL of my problems existed using stock drivers, and were reported way back in December. I switched to custom written drivers (with diagnostic functions) because I was NOT receiving any response support, and not getting anywhere on my own.

3 Likes

Mike, PM sent.

you say you have 30+ plugs (iris plugs are routers) how many more than 30?
I believe the limit for zigbee devices connected directly to the hub is 32 (additional devices going through the connected routers).
The only other option is to do as ogiewan suggested and remove all your devices and add them 1 at a time until you find the one that is causing the issue. Sucks but once it is done it is done.

Steve, I apologize that my message on ticket 11613 was not clear enough that giving the number of tickets you created and the multitude of problems you are experiencing, it is best to handle both Zigbee and Z-Wave problems in private, in the community, rather than via emails, on individual tickets. After you expressed the desire to continue working with us in private, I thought that would include everything. I can assure you, our entire team is looking at your hub, because you are by far one of the few "super-power users". Plus, you seem to have a lot of experience and we would welcome your feedback, so what better way to help us than working directly with our staff.

2 Likes

Not to cause problems, just curious, he mentioned this setup worked fine in ST, so this 32 devices connected to directly to the hub is a HE limitation? Or this is something with zigbee?

Aw, I see my apologies. I have had a ton of issues with the last update but I need to replace all my batteries before I blame the update. I have a ton of sylvania switches and bulbs, but I know they make awful repeaters so its my own dang fault for not buying more reputable :smiley:

It's a limit with SmartThings as well which is why I was asking. Maybe some plugs (routers) are routing through others.