It’s been a quiet couple days on this thread so here’s an update for those following.
Yesterday was like a second Christmas. I received the second hub and radio sticks, the extra ST v4 Plugs, and the ConBee for zigbee sniffing.
I immediately went to work on the new hub after dinner. The plan is to move only Zigbee devices to the second hub in the short term so the current stable ZWave mesh isn’t affected.
I decided to be quite unforgiving to the new hub by connecting as many devices in the time available. That included 43 SmartPlugs (did not include Iris ZWave radios at this time) and 15 battery powered devices. At the end of the night the mesh was still stable.
This morning there was one SmartPlug that failed to respond. This time a 4th Gen SmartThings plug. Had to put the hub into inclusion to get it back.
I took a half hour before leaving for work and blew through reconnecting another 17 devices, all battery powered. The mesh was tested a half hour ago and a different ST v4 plug didn’t respond. A simple click on configure fixed that. All other devices were responsive and reporting.
I’m not going to declare victory yet. In my initial transition to Hubitat it took several days for the instability to creep in. There is however one encouraging sign that is unique this time around. Zigbee device pairing is significantly faster with most devices connecting in 10-30 seconds. On the other hub and stick, 30 seconds was fast with most devices taking a minute to two.
There’s more to come tonight as I plan to continue my rapid rebuild of my Zigbee device to attempt to stress the mesh into breaking.