[SOLVED] Unable to connect to hub

started using my Hubitat Elevation C5 on Wednesday May 20.
I have learned a lot but have a problem I can not resolve.

The problem:
When I start the Hubitat Hub, the light turns Blue and then green a minute or 2 later.
At that point, I can not access the Hub from either my HP envy (windows 10) or my iPhone 6 (ios 12).

It does not show up in my routers list of attached devices.
I am able to find the hub by the Mac Address search in the portal.

I found this in the documentation which seemed to match my problem exactly.
Hub does not connect to network - Support - Hubitat
I tried this solution Mac Address to assign the IP Address to my router but I am pretty sure it was too little too late.

I made a decision to migrate from Wink to Habitat.
My router is a Netgear RBR50 with 1 satellite.

I was literally adding my last device (the upstairs thermostat) when this problem occurred.
I relocated the HUB and my router satellite next to the thermostat.
I am looking for ways to debug this or if anyone knows solutions that have worked, point me to them.

I'm sure there is issues with Netgear routers.
There is a fix but I don't know what it is.
Have a search on the forum. I'm sure you'll find the answer.

1 Like

So just to confirm, you used your router’s admin interface to add a DHCP reservation for your hub based on its MAC address?

1 Like

@dman2306 didn't you have this issue?
Any ideas what the fix is?

I have the exact setup. What FW is your netgear running?

That’s true, although the one I’ve read about is related to autonegotiation of the ethernet connection parameters between the hub and some Netgear routers, which also apparently affects some ASUS routers. I haven’t personally experienced this, but I believe the symptom there is very slow hub page loading, possibly intermittent connectivity.

OP’s issue seems to relate more to IP address assignment of the hub?

1 Like

Hmm not me, sorry. I have an Asus router. I had the issue where there was slowness in the UI but not where it would drop off. I feel like @aaiyar had been helping some folks with a similar issue, maybe he knows? Also adding @bobbyD

Reminder to everyone - this weekend is a US holiday, and the first time in about 2 months that many of us in the US are allowed to leave our homes, so people may be a little less responsive than normal with support requests

2 Likes

I wish I did, but its not the same issue - the LED turns green (so the platform is loaded).

1 Like

Ok then, let's start with some basic stupid troubleshooting. Happen to have a different ethernet cable just to make sure it's not faulty? I know it sounds like a longshot, but I have had a bad cable with a lose connection cause such issues. Is the LAN port on the router flashing as though data is being exchanged? Is it solid? Or Off? What color? If you ping the IP address does it respond?

2 Likes

Hi there, it's never too late to reserve an IP address after your router assigned one. Doing so may save you time in the future if the router decides to change hub's IP address, and you don't have any means to identify the new IP address. And even then, you can go to portal.hubitat.com to find the new address. With that being said, based on the details provided, it sounds like you ran into troubles when you reserved the IP address. Could you please remove the IP reservation, then reboot both your hub and router to see if the problem is resolved?

3 Likes

@owenmatte

To add to the troubleshooting tip from @dman2306, can you confirm by some independent means that your "router satellite" is still connected to the main router?

2 Likes

Might want to reboot both the main router and the satellite (I'm not sure which device in the Netgear world stores the IP<->MAC [ARP] cache)

3 Likes

I’m picturing @bobbyD on a beach somewhere on his laptop, wearing a mask, at least 6 feet away from other people. :rofl: :mask: :beach_umbrella:

3 Likes

Sorry about not responding but I was enjoying my grandchildren this weekend.

Hoping (and felt) the problem was in the router.
In addition to Hubitats community, had to research Netgears community as well.

There a very heated discussion topic on Armor/Bitdefender.
It happened during the firmware upgrade I answered wrong to a question and got a trial period of the before mentioned software.
The issue appears that Armor / Bitdefender identified the hub as "suspicious".
I am trying to understand that one since this is a device that is plugged into a port in the router.

Pulled out the old Belkin router to switch with my Orbi.
I added the Hub to that router and it worked fine.
Everything was there and everything I tested seemed to work fine.

I am in the process of working with Netgear support to find out how to have Armor completely removed from the router. I am concerned that the answer may be to wait until the end of the trial period.

On the hub, there is 1 dashboard and a couple of apps (IFTTT and Amazon Alexa) that do use the internet. During start up, does the Hub verify anything over the internet? I am assuming no and this was caused when I tested the dashboard.

3 Likes

Believe it is the router but not really sure either. I do know the satellite can be down and everything switches to the router but nothing works if the router is down.

1 Like

Yes. This was my first but it looks correct.

Not sure what independent means you are thinking of. The only thing available to my knowledge is the mapping provided by the Netgear app that shows the router and the satellite connected. Also see the all the devices in my wife's office are connected to the satellite and they are working.

1 Like

Router V2.3.5.30 Satellite V2.5.1.8

I was using the same cables from the modem and the router when I tried the old router. The port had not been tested so brought down the device in the first port, waited a few minutes and inserted it into the port I used for the Hub. No problems. The device is visible and works as expected. I do not see a light on the LAN ports. No color to see. According to the router admin program, the IP for the Hub is not being used. It acts as suspected, when pinged....no reply.

Great news.
Netgear support team helped me reset the router back to factory (a.k.a. No Armor / Bitdefender).
I entered the IP assign and can now get to the menu via the IP address.
Things are looking up but the green light is always on.
When I look at the documentation, it says I need to register and should click on the get date and time which I did.
I look at the registration and I see my email as admin.
Anyone know what I need to do?
I am getting a notification that there is a platform update.
I plan to wait until tomorrow for that.

2 Likes