[SOLVED] Community Rocks!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. As many know, our current response time for the initial inquiry is within 24 hours (most urgent requests receive a response within an hour); for follow up questions or if we don't receive sufficient details to replicate the problem, we normally respond within three business days. If you didn't receive a response within a reasonable time, as @JasonJoel correctly pointed out, then please send me a private message so I can look at what might be causing your ticket to be delayed.

Also, in order to help us speed up your inquiry's resolution time, please help us understand better the circumstances in which you are experiencing the issue, and ways to reproduce it. Screenshots and logs of any errors are very helpful. Approximate time when last incident occurred and a list of devices involved (including model and drivers used).

If anyone needs help gathering additional details, the following document may be helpful:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_collect_information_for_support

Thanks everyone for your continued support and understanding.

11 Likes

I like Bobby. I just want 20 more of him. Clones!!! Like Boba Fett!

(Queue the pew pew lasers!)

5 Likes

As you wish, Master !

4 Likes

Ever so patient, you are, Bobby. Thanks for what you do.

4 Likes

LOL. Bobby Fett. :} :} :} :}

3 Likes

There's a huge community waiting to help people for things that don't need official support. A couple of us have spread suggestions across what are now three threads you've created on the same issue, so I guess I'll just keep going in this one. :slight_smile: Bobby is great, but the reality is that my understanding of the TOS gives us a 90-day warranty if we think something is wrong but no guarantee of official support for general "how to" questions during or beyond that, despite the fact that it's something they've been doing the whole time even for those of us who haven't bought a hub since two years ago (not me, but I'm sure they exist). :slight_smile: They are great but limited, so I'd encourage anyone who doesn't have a clear "needs official support" problem (bricked hub after the usual troubleshooting, for example) to exhaust the Community first.

Back to the issue: I've done some testing on this myself. I don't believe this is a Hubitat bug. I recreated a setup similar to what I suggested for you (I'm not sure you ever provided the full set of logs, something Support might also want):

I played around with a few things and this now works reliably for me. The only issue I ran into is that--as I suggested might be needed (but decided to save you the time of testing)--I do need a small delay before the capture if the bulb was originally off in order for RM to accurately capture the on/off state (otherwise, it seems like enough time hasn't passed for that attribute to update, so it gets saved as "off," which causes problems we've seen elsewhere and for which I suggested turning the bulb on before capture and then off yourself later if it was off to begin with). Half a second is all I did and was fine for me (to save you from having this delay if you don't really need it, I deviated a bit from my original suggestion and made it only happen if the bulb was off). You can add other delays elsewhere (or increase this one) if you want, but in my testing this accurately captures (I checked the application state) and restores the bulb in RM based on my switch. You should be able to sub your contact sensor in there with the same effect.

If this works as intended, you'll likely notice the bulb flash to its original settings before and after the capture/restore, simply because--the cause of all these problems--an "off" bulb cannot receive color and level settings (without turning it on, so RM presumably ignores these if off) except under special circumstances that are not possible with a Hue Bridge bulb.

If you create a rule like this and still do not see the intended behavior, I suggest providing the full set of trigger and action logs from a complete execution of all paths in the rule, contact closed and opened. Bonus points if you go to the cogs/info icon while the state should be captured and check out what the value of the capturedDevs variable is under "Application State" (notably, you should see switch=on as part of it since that is an outcome you assure in every case and the delay should make extra-sure gets recorded if you have to do it yourself).

Hope this helps!

9 Likes

Man this makes me nervous for the future and sustainability of Hubitat. People regularly post concerns here about how Hubitat keeps the lights on with such minimal revenue streams. The answer is always that not needing big cloud servers, due to the local processing, is the answer. But if more than one customer support guy can't be paid, and posting customers aren't getting answers to their support requests, that makes me nervous! I'm getting to reliant on this damn hub so I naturally worry.

Paid support is the way forward for increased revenue. There will be many that don’t have the time to tinker with rules but know what they want and are happy to pay for rules to be written for them. I know if happy I’ll pay!

What you're talking about is consulting, which is very different than a support/warranty line. I hope people aren't emailing Bobby asking him for help writing their rules. I didn't go back to the Ford dealership and ask for driving lessons, and I didn't call DeWalt when the shed I built fell over.

6 Likes

And fortunately we have this great community here. People who are basically willing to do consulting for free!

5 Likes

Because helping others also helps one gain knowledge and experience as well!

This is a great community. It does require some patience and humility though.. :grin:

5 Likes

To echo @jwetzel1492, if you describe the automations you want, there's a really high probability that people here will help you write the rules you need. And you can get it for free :smiley:

This is one great user community!

5 Likes

I don't know who's grading the answers today. I just want to make it clear - I did not copy @erktrek's answer. This was coincidence not plagiarism :rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

The community is integral part of our support structure. Because with Hubitat Elevation®, you’re
limited only by your imagination, the ingeniosity of our members is unmatched.

We are constantly amazed by the creativity that this community generates and there is nothing more rewarding for our developers to see how the product is utilized in the real world.

Although our principle is to keep things simple when building rules, we have seen countless examples of creative ways in which the product is used, that far exceed our expectations.

Here is the perfect example. A complex rule revealed a problem with Rule Machine, and the problem was fixed within 45 minutes! This is the kind of support we pride ourselves in offering.

10 Likes

The person who posted has gotten responses in now three different threads for this issue, including me above recreating and successfully testing nearly exactly what I had previously suggested as a solution to the problem. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And for this, everyone is greatful for sure. I just find it crazy and likely unsustainable that there is only one support person; as is evidenced by people often complaining that they haven't got a response from support with an issue. I've been in the same boat. The community is great and has helped me out a lot but there are some things you need to go to support on and only having one guy doing the support for all of the countries hubitat is sold into is crazy!

1 Like

@bertabcd1234 legend!!! copied your updated rule and it works perfectly for me, I owe you a beer!

3 Likes

I would like to add an alternative explanation to what many here are saying. I would guess that Hubitat has probably had a huge influx of new users with the Wink issues, Hubitat hub price reductions during the holidays, and for various other reasons, You also have a new CEO and to go along with that there are likely lots of meetings and brainstorming sessions.

They were likely aware there would be a large increase in support tickets with huge sales numbers, but with a lean company you probably cannot preemptively hire more staff. It is a tricky situation, and part of the growing pains of many companies.

With a limited staff, some trouble tickets are prioritized over others. Things like "my hub slows down, but I can't repeat it or tell you what device or driver causes it" are probably very low priority compared to login issues, dead hubs, and so on. I don't know how else people expect support to operate? If you did first come first served, you might spend lots of time on something you cannot immediately fix while pising off people with more critical (and easy to fix!) issues.

The only thing I would say apparently could be improved is the communication aspect of trouble tickets. That is tough to do, and requires more work to give daily/weekly updates to users who have submitted trouble tickets. That time you spend sending updates could have been spent fixing issues.

I just hope everyone can be patient while Hubitat works this out. I bet it will settle out soon enough. I don't have any inside info, nor do I work for Hubitat, but I have seen this many times in my lifetime. It may seem like they are ignoring users, but they can only do so much.

5 Likes

I just checked and Hubitat' FAQ are about the community, not about the usual problems. And the How to's are not answers to problems, they are advices for playing with the hub.

Also found this:

FAQ takes some times to write, but it's also fairly different than doc. Reading doc is a long task, even with search tools. FAQ is a quick answer to common probs. Ok, I know you know that...

FAQ is the solution for obvious, newbies and common problems with always (almost) the same answers. Reading them will avoid posting a ticket or ask again the same question to everybody, including @bobbyD . If you put a direct link to the FAQ at the begin of those pages (Documentation - FAQ - Support), I'm sure people will read them at first (RTFM).

Q1: what are the steps IF my hub is slow ? A: look at the log, disable rules (=> Q2), reboot your hub
Q2: how can disable rules to see if hub speed is faster ? A: go to rules, clic on the right top cross, etc
Q3: etc...

So, real problems with real baby steps to solve them, with some screen captures to help people.

Thinking of that, I'm sure (without emphasis) that a lot of people here (including me) are ready to write a little "quick solution for a common problem" to help the community (and Bobby at the same time).

Am I wrong ?

This forum is fun , valuable and for the most part for the enthusiast. However for the general punter who is looking for support it really isn’t optimal and in some cases may not representative of the brand... I would see the way forward thru support avoidance and simplification of key elements of the product such that 90 % of the users are satisfied by 10% of the functionality, that functionality is rock solid and so easy to use and setup there are no support calls ( or very few )

2 Likes