[solved] Alexa Skill not working anymore

Hi all;

So today my Alexa stop finding my home devices. I uninstalled the App and deleted the skill at the Alexa app and started to reactivate everything again. However at the skill part, after I select my hub, it is saying it can't connect to Hubitat's server and returns to the skill page. Any thoughts?

I have been having Alexa glitches lately as well. And my log continues to indicate an Amazon cookie refresh error. BUT, my commands from HE/webcore seem to be working most of the time. It may be something on the Amazon end. Read here.

The issue is still ongoing, The error occur exactly after I choose the HUB on the skill. Once I do, it starts loading and then, an error screen saying that is not possible to activate the skill appears asking to try in another time. Seems to me something between AWS and Hubitat API servers.

Have you tried rebooting your HE hub? From what you e described thus far, it sounds like your HE hub is not successfully connected to the Hubitat Cloud server.

Can you access your hub’s dashboards (assuming you’ve created at least 1) via the Hubitat mobile phone app when your phone is disconnected from your home WiFi? This is another test of your hub’s cloud connectivity.

1 Like

That sounds like an issue with with the community Echo Speaks integration, not the built-in Amazon Echo Skill.

2 Likes

you are right. it is not connected to hubitat´s cloud for some reason. Rebooted the HUB but still no connection with the cloud. Any thoughts after that?

Make sure your hub has access to functioning DNS servers. The hub cannot connect to Hubitat's cloud servers if it cannot translate a CNAME (like www.hubitat.com) to an IP address.

For more details on a suitable DNS server configuration, read the section on "Override DNS Settings" from the Network Setup documentation, linked to below:

2 Likes

Agreed. Just have not been able to isolate the source yet.

Did you recently make any home networking changes? Often, issues like this arise when users implement multiple VLANs, or complex firewall rules.

Are you using DHCP on the hub to obtain a TCP/IP address? Another issue, as mentioned above by @aaiyar, is problems with the hub's network configuration. The best practice is to use DHCP on the Hub to obtain an IP address, and reserve an address for the HE hub on your home router. This makes sure that the hub always has the same IP address, and that if you change your router, the hub will be able to connect without manual intervention. Setting a static IP, Subnet Mask, and DNS directly on the hub often leads to connectivity issues, especially if something else changes on one's home network.

1 Like

Just trying to keep this thread focused on the OP's issue... :wink:

3 Likes