Soft Reset and port 8081 oddities (post updated)

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but even after searching the community, I'm not seeing the answer.

Background: I'm running 2.1.8.117. I was doing some testing of my hub placement and a Z-Wave device I was having trouble with today. I excluded and then re-added the device and of course it got a different ID. I then did a shutdown and when I started up, it took a long time (and seemed like it started over). The device was back at the original ID. It almost seemed like it did a DB restore from last night. Since I'd had to forcibly power off the hub recently, I thought I'd take a backup and do a soft reset.

I had some unexpected results:

• I went to HUBIP:8081 and, from the Soft Reset documentation, I expected to get a menu. Instead I got to the Hubitat Elevation Update Tool page to restore a previous version of the hub.
  • I remembered I could go directly to the Soft Reset (HUBID:8081/resetHub). I got prompted for a Login and, from the documentation, I should enter the MAC address. That didn't work. Fortunately, I found an old email where Bobby said it was the last 4 digits of the MAC address. I finally got to the Soft Reset.
  • The soft reset proceeded and I got to the screen that said "You will be automatically redirected to your Hubitat Elevation". Nothing happened. After 20 minutes, I decided to try to Soft Reset again. It started but after a while, gave "Resetting Hub failed". At that point I yanked the power, and fortunately, the hub started and I was able to restore the DB.

Can anyone explain why I wasn't getting a menu at port 8081? @bobbyD , can somebody update the Soft Reset documentation at least regarding the login?

You didn't do anything wrong. Your hub isn't running the latest Diagnostic Tool for which the Soft Reset documentation is for. The new tool is activated automatically 24 hours after the hub is connected to the cloud. There have been rare instances where the automatic deployment failed. If you could send us an email, I'd like to investigate why your hub isn't running the latest tool. support@hubitat.com

So if I’m reading this correct you are able to (and do) deploy stuff to the hub without the owner taking any action besides connecting it to the internet?

I don’t have any problem with this just want to know exactly how local the hub is and what type of control is at your hands.

Thanks @bobbyD for the amazing support! Very few companies would answer an issue posted to the community forums at 9PM on a Saturday night. To tie in one of the other threads regarding @GregT, this is one of the things that makes me glad to have moved to HE.

1 Like

Just in case someone else comes across this thread, Bobby confirmed that I didn't have the latest version of the Diagnostic Tool installed (even though I was running the latest firmware). That was the reason I was getting the Hubitat Elevation Update Tool page on port 8081. He gave me a link to update the tool and all is working fine now.

2 Likes

I found this thread as I have the same issue with my replacement C4 hub. I have had it a little while and only connected it for a short while to test it initially, but now I am going to use it as a second hub so want to get it fully up to date.

It has now been connected for 24 hours and I have updated to the latest firmware, but the 8081 port gives the Update Tool rather than the new Diagnostics Tool page.

@bobbyD could you PM me the link to update the tool please?

2 Likes

Same issue here! Can you please PM me the link too @bobbyD or @Geoff_T

I'm reluctant to just pass on the link as I don't know if support have to do anything their end as well.

Maybe @bobbyD can clarify this and if there is no problem with anyone with this issue using the link perhaps it could be posted here rather than just in PMs?

3 Likes

This is only available for hubs that run somewhat newer version. Here is the path to activate the new Diagnostic Tool:

HubIP*/hub/cloud/updateDiagnosticTool

'* replace hubIP with your hub's actual IP address.

3 Likes