SOFABATON X1 - Universal Remote with Wifi / BT / IR control and a Local API

That was another thing I was getting tired of dealing with, was massive amounts of audio equipment. Wanted to minimize things so got a good quality soundbar system. I'm actually much happier with it. (Also supports ARC)... I've found with my old age minimalism is my preference...

2 Likes

I built my games room audio setup out of second hand equipment I bought via Gumtree. I was able to score (over about 9 months) about $4k worth of Krix speakers for only about $800 total.

The only thing I bought new was a cheap Yamaha AVR. And it sounds amazing - I’ve got about $15k of audio gear in the lounge room which the wife hogs and I hardly ever use. Kinda a waste really.

That said, I do occasionally use it when she’s out to listen to SACD’s and chill when the kids are in bed.

1 Like

I have sort of lost interest without an API to play with, and I don't think I'll put mine into service at home.

PM me if you want to take mine off my hands for what I paid in the Kickstarter (100USD). I only used it for basic testing and still have all of the original packaging.

1 Like

Im hoping they'll iterate quickly based on feedback - if not I'll offload mine for the Yio Two.

Im still pretty luke warm on the X1 atm, there's no way I could put one in the lounge room atm.

Well I won’t be offloading my spare X1, cause I need to to replace the one our chocolate Labrador chomped on.

It still works, but the display is toast. :weary:

I've officially had a gut full of this remote - I can't get my spare to update (tried every trick in the book) and the support from Sofabaton has been utterly useless. These remotes are now going into the junk drawer!

I've gone and bought a couple of very lightly used 2nd hand URC remotes (an MX-980 and an MX-900). Thankfully I have all the non-publicly available software, from back in the day when I had good contacts in the HT Installer industry, and can program them myself.

I've been on the fence about this remote since my harmony elite crapped out. The support complaints I've seen have made me back off. Fortunately I have a Roku TV so the regular roku remote combined with Roku integration works for me.

1 Like

If anyone does want to buy a URC remote and needs the Complete Control Software and manuals, pm me (before you buy one, there are traps for young players).

Ouch!! Missed this before...that's the danger of having "real dogs" like a lab. My teeny-tiny ones probably couldn't get their mouths around the remote. :slight_smile: I had some of the lower-end URC remotes back in the day, worked quite well for me.

Too bad the Sofabaton isn't working out well...I'm still using my Harmony Companion Hub setups and praying that Logitech keeps support going as long as possible.

1 Like

True, and they are both still essentially puppies, and our Chocolate lab is a complete rascal. :rofl:

1 Like

I still have one of these unopened if someone is in need of one, PM me. Based on the reviews here, I'm 100% sure I would not be happy (nor would my wife)

1 Like

Sofabaton reached out to me with their API. I couldn't make much sense of it but i'm also not a developer at all. Anyway, they're keeping it private for now so I told them I would have some of my "colleagues" reach out :slight_smile: So if someone wants to start poking around the API, shoot them an email at sofabaton@outlook.com. Hopefully someone finds something useful!

That email address tells me all I need to know about their API :flushed:

6 Likes

lol my thoughts exactly!

1 Like

I emailed them again for the API, and I got a quick response (the third time is the charm!). But the reference I got was for a cloud API. Did you get one that indicated it was for local-only access to the device?

i only saw cloud :frowning:

They confirmed by email that there is only a cloud API.

React Reaction GIF by John Crist Comedy

2 Likes

Just saw something similar may or may not be an alternative?? Ovomote.

Looks nice, and the price isn't too bad. That said though I hate remotes that don't have physical buttons for volume and channel.

2 Likes