Smartthings or Hubitat in my situation?

Have had both hands and both hubs will do a great job... with abandon ST when I realized that there is no ( or limited ) real local execution... which basically means that when the internet goes out so does home automation... Hubitat executes locally thus does not have the same issue however remote access is nowhere as good out of the box and requires a bit of work and possibly a little investment ( to get a vpn up and running ) .....

Hubitat's been unique to me in not mixing admin with User. 99% of my time clicking my automation is as a User. I haven't added much in the past year. Swapped a couple of things mostly... so the admin portion of my life-with-Hubitat is almost over. Which also means I don't hit the VPN very much either. It turns out my Cam system needs the VPN too, so it's not unusual for me to fire up the VPN and take a quick video look around. Even if the VPN is up, I can't remember the last time I needed Hubitat Admin while out and about. OpenVPN takes about 2 seconds from first tap to done. There's no burden to it. :slight_smile: Have no fear. :smiley:

1 Like

There are other options. I use TeamViewer (free) to access HE remotely. There are a few posts about people using TeamViewer or other remote view software instead of creating a VPN.

However, like @csteele said, once you have been using HE for a while, the need for remote access is VERY minimal.

1 Like

HE is brilliant, out of the box ...

Just needs a little work and love ... and it will shine

That said ... u plug in a ST device and log it in ... your remotes access is done ... HE , by its nature does not work that way . Its not a complaint just the way it works .. personally I would go for HE and put the time into a vpn ...

A little off topic but for a good vpn check out WireGuard..

https://www.wireguard.com/

3 Likes

I agree. Much easier to setup than OpenVPN, and significantly faster.

1 Like

I use this with unraid

Well folks my HE arrived today. I'm liking the footprint of it relative to the Wink. Unfortunately, I think it's going to have to go back. It doesn't recognize any of my zwave devices that worked just fine on Wink. I excluded all of the devices via Wink before disconnecting the Wink Hub, Now HE won't see anything. Tried excluding from HE and still nothing. My zwave devices are pre zwave Plus so I can't do any additional re-setting of them without buying some USB stick that resets them (and really not in the mood to fork out another $50 or whatever these costs). I'm bummed.....

I am too :frowning:

What devices?

1 Like

I've been focused on attaching 3 GE switches, models 12722, these are Pre Zwave Plus. I even went back to install my Wink hub thinking I could try to exclude again but now it's not connecting either. I have 4 light bulbs to get attached as well but haven't started those....they are located the furthest away. The switches are about 6-10 ft from the hub.

I used to have these Hubitat. So I know they should pair and work.

1 Like

"should" but aren't. ;(

Seems to me that the didn't exclude properly from Wink. Try excluding them using Hubitat right next to them and/or a portable zwave controller like a minimote.

I can't get the hub closer to the switches without getting another ethernet cable. I'm in the mountains and don't have a long enough cable. I'll look at the minimote….

You could remove the switches and bring them to the hubitat (I've done that before ...)

Also, make sure the Wink hub is not powered when excluding or pairing.

2 Likes

It's dark and I need the switches in place. May try that tomorrow although I have no real way to power them up if not wired in the wall. The wink is unplugged and waiting to be tossed in the trash. I do agree that it appears they were not excluded properly.

1 Like

go with Hubitat at both location and start the thing well with https://hubconnect.to/
LOCAL PROCESSING = fast.
Don't worry about the reboot problem that some people have. With the small load you have at your cabin, you will not have any problem. Your rule will be simple and your hub will not work a lot.
I come from SmartThings and i will stick with my 2 Hubitat hub (house and Garage) 111 physical and virtual device. Almost 100 rules running on only one Hub.

Even if you have a brand new device, always reset it to factory default and exclude the device before pairing it.

In the past, i have use this code to have a 10$ rebate for the second hub : SECONDHUB, maybe it work today???

Hiya Folks,
Just thought I'd check in and let you know how things went. So I'm back at the cabin. I made up a long patch cable before coming and tonight I was able to get my switches and Schlage lock excluded and then included. I still have some Cree bulbs to play with tomorrow (outdoors and was my only option as there are no neutrals) but now I'm trying to figure out this whole Hubitat thing with connected devices. So all is good.....

I plan to post a new topic once I get stuck (and I will, trust me!)
Cheers.

4 Likes

Sorry man, I just have to say, that I don't believe there is anything wrong with using external radio's (dongles) on the HE Hub's. I've been using external dongles on my HE hub for very close to two years now without any major issues. (apart from those caused my me, screwing something up)
And following your logic, my setup should be a hot mess because I've had to use 2 external dongles -
1 x Zwave (AU) and 1 x Zigbee, because mines a C4 generation Hub.

Everyone's setup and requirements are different so exactly, what works for someone may not work for someone else. How good is it that we have "options" :slight_smile:

1 Like