Smartthings Incident

Just a friendly FYI...

Nothing's wrong...at least on Hubitat :grin:. Since I've made the switch from ST to HE in the last few weeks I've received emails on 2 separate occasions that Smartthings is experiencing another 'incident' and something wasn't working.

Not second guessing the switch at all, local control is the way to go. Great job Hubitat crew and all the supporting cast here in the forums!!!

14 Likes

I’ve had my hubitat elevation hub for two years, and I still haven’t unsubscribed from the ST incidents email list, just for :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: and :slightly_smiling_face:.

10 Likes

I stay on SmartThings mailing list until the last of my clients decide enough is enough and want to make the jump.

Since most of my stuff is still on SmartThings, my wife asked me why the hallway lights didn't go on "again" this morning. Only later did I see the YASCO (yet another SmartThings cloud outage) email.

Who ever thought it was a good idea to route through China and back just to turn the lights on?

1 Like

People who live in China? :grinning:

5 Likes

I was on Wink, and it is all cloud control just like Smartthings. At first you don't notice or don't care where the server is. Many (most?) of us are naive about the whole thing and as long as the bulb turns on when you push the magic button on the phone, you mostly don't care. It is only when the company has outages, doesn't pay it's server bills (Wink) or for whatever reason you keep having issues do you look into it.

It is only when you "see how the sausage is made" that you wake up and think about it. Why China of all places? There is a reason that many of these devices are cheap. I think it comes down to data mining.

I am just waiting for the day when all these WiFi devices are bricked because China or our State Department shut them off, or the companies went out of business. Lots of people on Reddit and other sites extol the virtues of these inexpensive devices, and laugh at Zwave and Zigbee users. We will see who has the last laugh.

10 Likes

I am almost done moving over to HE from SmartThings, though it seems like I've got some mode and presence bugs to squash that I haven't fully wrapped my head around.

Regardless, the fact that I know that it's "up" and not reliant on the cloud or the reliability of my internet service is great. I just wish they'd announce what ST hubs are being discontinued. As much as I'd love to sell off my gen 1 and gen 2 hubs and make some cash, my conscience can't let me sell something that'll be bricked in 3-12 months. I'm guessing the gen 2 will be fine and the gen 1 will be done for, since it's ancient in technology years.

2 Likes

But the st documentation says not to worry about the old hubs being obsolete. They promise to give you a heads up so you have an opportunity to spend more money on a new hub!

5 Likes

The ONLY reason I bought a 2nd gen was because we got a new house, and I wanted to leave my Kickstarter Edition 1st gen at the old house for basic security purposes while we prepped it for sale, and during the showing process (turn on the lights before each showing, etc).

No way in hell would I do any sort of forced migration to a new hub, though if they HEAVILY discount one in exchange for my first gen, I might consider it just to resell it and get a couple bucks out of Samsung. They've ruined what was a decent, if unstable, product.

I do hope Hubitat sees some growth from the exodus of users from ST, having 85k users in the community certainly allowed for a diverse base of developers.

1 Like

What I am finding now if you don't migrate to the new app there are areas in the legacy app that now crash such as scenes. According to Samsung when I contacted them on this, they stated to go into the developers portal and delete the scenes that are causing the crash. The good thing this is one of the homes I am converting from SmartThings to Hubitat so I was just trying to confirm my documentation of each scenes settings. One more SmartThings client getting ready to be shut down.

I’m still running a V1 hub and with the migration, hitting issues all over the place. The migration did not complete and redoing it seems silly if the hub is going to need to be replaced soon.

I do however do everything on ST via my phone. Everyone says the phone interface for Hubitat kinda sucks. Is that old news?

Personally, I hated the SmartThings interface. I think that once you have more than 10 devices, most phone interfaces get clumsy. I’ve actually grown to like the simplicity of the Dashboard interface, although I have to admit, I usually use Homekit for device control when needed, which is rare. Lots of motion sensors and button controllers, along with an echo in every room. Most of the time my motion automations keep me from having to touch or say anything.
That said, my Dashboard interface is still more functional than anything I had with SmartThings.

1 Like

Well to be honest, it does and it doesn't. The function is great, but it looks a bit dated and clunky to some people. Me, I don't care either way, it works fine, so whatever.

Note here that below I am conflating phone app with dashboards, and while they aren't exactly the same thing, you see the dashboards in the phone app. They are for the most part, one and the same except the phone app adds geolocation/geofence and notifications that you don't get in a browser.

The dashboard itself is totally customizable for icon size, the icons themselves, columns, rows, colors, and so on. You can make dashboards for sensors, for lights, or by rooms, or however you want to arrange things.

You can access the dashboard remotely via internet, or locally. In addition, you can use the dashboard in any internet browser (PC or phone), and you can save that web page on your phone screen as a shortcut.

There are options to make the dashboard look prettier. Smartly being one way. There are 3rd party (community based) dashboards too, in case you don't like the stock app or Smartly.

With all that being said, I have moved away from using the phone for most things except an occasional check of a lock or to turn something on/off that I forgot.

With the way you can automate things in Hubitat, you really won't use the phone app much after a while. You will want motion sensors for lights, sunset or sunrise rules to turn on lights, humidity sensors for bath fans, and so on.

1 Like

The dashboard is more akin to Smart/Action tiles and for the most part works just fine and has a good amount of flexiblity. The nice thing is that it is web based so it is device agnostic, open a browser on your phone, tablet, home PC, work PC, etc and you'll have access to it. Are there things that could be better, sure; but in all fairness, in terms of age the dashboard is fairly new compared to other platforms so it needs time to mature. The staff is very supportive and responsive to comments/recommendations so i'm sure once the important functional items are flushed out I'm sure the 'prettier' stuff will get some attention. All in all, I've been converted from ST for about a month and I don't regret the switch at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the detail. When my automations were working in ST, I rarely used my phone and just did it to flip on a scene via the widget.

With all the automations sketchy I’m now back in it a lot :frowning:

Any suggestions on how to get started given a migration? I’ve built this thing out over say 5 years. There were a lot of things that were probably not done well but now work. Redoing it seems like a pain since I won’t be able to just recreate in a weekend.

I'd start out by using Motion Lighting for motion sensor based rules, Simple Automation for most of your other stuff, and RM for cases that need conditionals. As you move forward you'll find some weird outliers that don't really fit in motion lighting or simple automation, but seem really basic such as timers, or button pushes, double tap, etc. There are community apps that really shine in this area.

2 Likes

Before I converted I noted what my 'had to have' or 'critical' automations were. Then did a lot of research on this forum to see how to do them, look for 'gotchas', etc. Then when started the conversion I concentrated on getting the hardware over first and stable. Then added my critical automations first. This I was able to accomplish over a weekend. Then in the ensuing days/weeks I've been restoring and enhancing all my automations to get back to 'normal'. I can say that I've cobbled together automations for over 3 years on ST and it was actually cleansing to be able to create everything from scratch. It gave me the opportunity to streamline somethings, do things more efficiently, etc.
Side note, I also integrated Node-Red (based on a lot of reading on this forum) and Alexa... and for ~$70 for RaspberryPI and a case holy crap can you do some really cool things.

2 Likes

This was probably my favorite part of the move. Things that I was doing on ST felt clunky in some aspects. Now I can do most of my complex stuff with API calls instead of how I was doing it with a weird mix of Tasker, AutoLoc, and Android apps. For example, during winter when I wake up in the morning Monday through Friday, I have it start my truck. Or when I lay down in bed turn everything off, arm the alarm, turn on the outside IR spotlights, turn off some of the wifi networks, and start the vacuum. I could do these in ST, it just wasn't nearly as neat or responsive.

2 Likes

Getting excited. Ive got a ton of hacks and every time I do something I have to remember why I did it this way. I was going to try and do a room at a time. Starting with the simple ones just to get used to how things work.

Any gotchas regarding distance? I’m mainly Z-wave and in an old house. I think I need to convert in a way that doesnt leave me out if range for ST but is Hubitat any better there or about the same on range?