SmartThings announces end to v1, adt hubs and nvidia

2 Likes

I was running the V1 hub for years because it was more reliable than the later generation hubs. It seemed every time there was a firmware update things broke. For all the endless complaints of automation failures my V1 just kept humming along. I did eventually pickup a V2 generation hub but didn't register it until a few years ago. Seems that one is working okay even though I receive a text once or twice a week for some problem with their platform. I no longer use SmartThings for home automation but it makes a pretty good network and website monitor. I suspect that once they drop groovy and the IDE I'll throw the V2 hub in the trash too even though it hasn't been plugged in for months.

3 Likes

Must be nice to have so many customers that you have customers to burn (on your way out the door), lol

2 Likes

It's just the tip of the iceberg for the ST_Titanic...

5 Likes

I knew I should have sold those old ST hubs . . .

More electronic waste, I did have two V1 hubs from their kickstarter but I gave them away since I was a Vera fan back then.

Last year I bought a v1 hub along with a first generation multisensor, first generation motion and a first generation presence sensor all for $18! I threw the hub in the trash but the sensors were a rare find.

I love the first generation ST Motion sensors. I have one on the front porch. I remember talking with the ST engineers about whether it could be used outside and they said give it a shot. That one also has an option for USB power and uses AA batteries.

1 Like

i have two v2 hubs avail. for anyone who wants them..

We should start a thread on ways to creatively repurpose them!

1 Like

I have a v2, too! Saw it yesterday in the drawer.

1 Like

Mine is helping to create chaos on my work bench in the garage. :man_standing: I suppose we could play the home automation version of Where’s Waldo? Or maybe Who Cares Where’s Waldo?

1 Like

I've never had a SmartThings hub but I do have lots of SmartThings Multi-Purpose Sensors and Leak Detectors throughout my house. I understand that you can update the firmware on those sensors with a SmartThings hub?

If that's the case, I would be interested in someone's old hub they don't want anymore just to update the firmware on the sensors before it's not even an option anymore.

They are still saying "more local control" is coming for SmartThings on YouTube. It's good to have hope but I spent two years on the V2 hubs with only Sengled Bulbs that were locally controlled everything else was a cloud round trip.

1 Like

@ronv42... Ha, ST has been promising "local" support for 5+ years, along with Bluetooth integration. ST has changed their definition of "local execution" and it is very limited for a specific set of device(s) and a very limited number of specific ST developed apps... it boils down to:

"We were going to define the problem of local hub execution, but it was simpler to redefine the meaning of success"

3 Likes

They seem to care a lot about the load on their cloud infrastructure. They cut EchoSpeaks off at the knees (supposedly) because of that. Moving as much as they can to local execution would further reduce their cloud expenses.

I generally believe nothing that they ST folks say anymore, but moving more things to local execution would reduce the load on their cloud services. For that reason alone, I think they'll do more in this area.

Except for morbid curiosity, I don't really care one way or another. Generally I try not to look when driving past the scene of an accident, but sometimes you can't help but look for body parts strewn about on the roadway.

2 Likes

Agreed @dcaton1220 , it's a train wreck in slow motion since Samsung got involved in ST. ST "would definitely" benefit from off loading their heavy cloud execution infrastructure, but what I have been seeing in their recent announcements and especially with favorites like Echo Speaks and eventually WebCore, is that they are cutting off many user developed apps and saying to their user base, "Host these user apps yourselves anyway you want" which in my developed groovy apps, this would not easily work and be way too complicated for many users to spin up a Raspberry server, Node, etc or learn how to move the app to a pay cloud hosting service...

Hubitat got it right allowing user and internal apps and z* devices to run locally, hence my recent migration from ST to HE and not looking back (or least not too much).... :star_struck:

Plus, with awesome apps like Hubitat Package Manager, adding/updating/supporting user developed apps and drivers is easy as "Apple Pie" for end users...

2 Likes

Yes you can, as well as other zigbee devices such as Sylvania and Sengled bulbs. (Except when SmartThings doesn’t properly recognize it, which I found out when I was able to update some things on the Lightify gateway that I couldn’t on SmartThings).

1 Like

Anyone following this thread that still have an active ST IDE account with no hub connected? Just looking to confirm if all of your virtual/simulated devices are showing offline.

@eibyer

I only have 2 devices on my account, a honeywell T-stat and a single virtual switch, and both show as on-line. I can change the state of my virtual switch from the app.