Smart Knob?

I've just picked up a cheap "smart knob" which claims to be a clone Tuya ZigBee wireless scene switch. Whilst I can pair the device with HE, I can't seem to get it to actually do much. So far I'm using the "Tuya Zigbee Scene Switch" driver

Here is the Device Info from the pairing
Capture

Is there any way to bring this effectively into HE?

TIA :+1:

1 Like

Tagging @kkossev

1 Like

Tuya smart knob is (partially) supported in this driver:

Once the driver is installed, it is obligatory that the smart knob is paired again to HE (the driver must be picked up automatically during the Zigbee pairing process).

If it helps, this is the device

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224863973315

Thanks @kkossev I'll try that :+1:

You guys are brilliant! It's recognised and working now as a 3-button device which works for me!

Thanks @rlithgow1 & @kkossev

2 Likes

If anyone else is curious about this interesting product, here is a pretty good demonstration video from a few months ago.

Looks pretty neat to me! I kind of want one to play with. But I'm not sure how I'd use it. Maybe for dimming some lamps. It would be nice to use for blinds or fan speed.

1 Like

For smooth dimming (press and hold and then rotate) this device will not work very well in HE , but works just fine for step-changing the brightness (by 10% for an example), or for switching scenes, etc... Be aware that there is a 1-second delay between rotation events in one and the same direction. Should work without any issues with controlling blinds or switching fan speed, which are relatively slow processes.

It's working fine for me, thanks to assistance from @kkossev :+1:

The central button is Button 1, clockwise rotation is Button 2 and anti-clockwise rotation is Button 3. Continued rotation in either direction is reflected as repeated appropriate Button presses

So far I'm just using it as a simple 3-Button device, but I did play around with an LED strip, with each "click" of the rotation incrementing/decrementing brightness by 10%. That seemed to work fine.

It's not perfect, but it's a cheap(ish) device with some potential. I just need to find the killer use case :joy:

Edit: I'm moving into a new house soon and I plan on getting some Ikea blinds, so I'll try this device with those when they are installed

2 Likes

My first thought was to use it with blinds as well, but with slow feedback I think it might be more frustrating. A slider that Hubitat would match blind height to slider height seems more logical to me.

Are there such devices? Ive never seen one...

Blinds usually provide Level or Position capabilities, these can be presented as Dimmer on Hubitat dashboard,

So the smart knob can be used in HE button controller app to increase or decrease the opening position / level when rotated,

Same with the volume level for audio devices,

These knobs are just what I was looking for. The technical details are already covered very well in this thread: It's great as a 3-botton switch, be sure to install the driver before you discover the device. What hasn't been covered are the mounting options. For my first use case, I would have been fine to just sit it on my desk, but it's got a magnet in the base so it sticks to the base of my monitor. It's a strong magnet so it would be fine mounting horizontally. It's also got a metal mounting plate with screws and adhesive options. All around great find. I got it on Prime day for $20, but it's back to $25 now.

2 Likes

how you do that, please?!

Just got myself one... this smart Zigbee knob. But the C8 is not "discovering/seeing" it in the pairing process. I have no access to the C7 for now (in the other house) so cannot try pairing to the C7 yet.. Not sure if its the dreaded C8 issue or I've got myself a faulty device. Anyone having the same issue with this device and the C8?

It may be using a new SoC, respectively new problems with the new C-8. …

Let us know how it pairs to C-7.