Slowness and lag since updating to 2.3.7

Does anyone know whether there's a "big changes brought about by each major platform summary", published anywhere?

I had a remarkably stable system through 2.3.5. Then 2.3.6 was mostly a nightmare. Now I have 2.3.7 and while things seem stable, it definitely takes longer to see changes after, say, pressing a tile to turn on/off a switch.

I have all C7 hubs, so I'm wondering if most of the new "enhancements" don't apply to me. Sort of like my trusty ol' 2012 Tundra. It doesn't make toast or open the tailgate if I wave my foot under the bumper, but it gets the job done and is all I need. New stuff seems like it may be more to break.

Any better back on 2.3.6?

You can roll back to 2.3.5 if you want to see if it fixes the issues.

Download it using this URL
http://hubitat.local/hub/advanced/downloadPlatform/235
*sub hubitat.local for IP if needed

Then use the diagnostics tool to "Restore Previous Verion" and the last 2.3.5 release should be in the list.

1 Like

Yes and no. Its better, but something is still wonky. Starting to think I have a misbehaving ZWave device.

You can always look at the release topics... Like:

Seems like the web UI slowness may have been reported elsewhere, the 145 update talks about a possible fix being included.

Thanks, Simon. This sounds more "whiny" than I intend it (not a huge concern, but it's annoying), but Hubitat's release notes don't succinctly summarize what happened from one major release to the next. I just wish they'd publish a summary of what each, major platform update added/removed, perhaps as a table that gets updated whenever they issue that major release. For example, 2.3.7 would include "Added Matter capability". That said, it's not a huge issue so I can't justify a reason for anyone to go back and create this for past releases.

One of the problems many of us have is that there's no good way of rewarding Hubitat for continued improvements and ongoing security updates if we have a device that does all we need (like the C7 for me) and don't need new capabilities (e.g., Matter). A similar problem exists for developers of excellent apps and drivers (like those you offer), in that there's no mechanism for buying those after a brief trial period. I sometimes wonder if an "app marketplace", managed by Hubitat (that takes a percentage of the sale) might be a good idea. Homeseer did (probably still does) that.

Anyway, just some random whining and complaining... Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

If you got slowness on 2.3.7 that didn't manifest on 2.3.6, please PM me the hub id. I'll check the engineering logs on the hub, maybe there are clues there. Make sure there's a link back to this topic so I can keep track.

3 Likes

What about 2.3.7 vs 2.3.5?

Just adding my voice to this thread. What was intermittent slowness is now chronic. I've sent you my details @gopher.ny but for everyone else my Hub is taking from 5 - 20 seconds to switch pages, Apps to Devices or Logs to Settings etc. Generally it's on the upper end of that range.

Is your ethernet speed on the hub set to auto or fixed 100? Also have you tried a different browser?

I was gone for the weekend and just got back. My hub was on 100. Interestingly when I tried using Edge vs Chrome it did make a big difference.

Using Chrome
On Apps page click logs page\live logs - 7 seconds.
Click back on Apps page - 22 seconds
Click on Settings page - 6 seconds
Click on Devices page - 16 seconds

Using Edge
On Apps page click logs page\live logs - 4 seconds.
Click back on Apps page - 3 seconds
Click on Settings page - 2 seconds
Click on Devices page - 4 seconds

Issue definitely seems to be Chrome. Current version is:

I've not knowingly made any settings changes lately other than a likely Chrome update.

I'll use Edge for now until this gets figured out.

1 Like

For giggles try Firefox....

Ah... that's right... It's Sunday afternoon morning for some.... :wink: Well, I'm still on holidays myself... so why not try another browser...

2 Likes

Been using FF for years.... Never cared for Chrome. When I have been forced to use it, always felt bloated. (To be fair for a couple of years FF got bloated but then they revamped the whole thing and it's pretty slim these days)

1 Like

Switching pages using my chrome browser couldn’t be faster. It’s lightning fast for me. Definitely sub-second. I still have a major problem with automation slowness since the very day I upgraded to 2.3.7.

Last night we arrived home, opened the front door, and the lights took about 7 to 8 seconds to turn on. With pre- 2.3.7 it was sub-second.

This needs to be addressed by Hubitat.

1 Like

After some experimenting it turns out the culprit was AdBlock. Not sure what changed. AdBlock did update itself not that long ago but I didn't correlate the change with perceived Hub slowness at the time. Anyway, once I paused AdBlock for my Hub IP it's back to being fast. Explains why my UI was slow but my Hub Automations kept working without me noticing any degradation.

P.S. I like Chrome because it has a lot of option for developers which come in very handy for Hubitat App development, given the lack of any native debugging tools.

1 Like

Need to be careful here, but we are in danger of conflating two different issues.

The original report from @rkmiller was around hub responsiveness on automations - actions from triggers being delayed / happening slowly etc, which is what I have seen also.

Later in the thread people have complained about UI slowness which is different (and apparently solved by tweaking adblock, or using a different browser etc.).

3 Likes

Did OP address this question?

If the updated firmware is truly the cause of the issues OP is having, reverting to the prior version seems like the simplest way to verify.

1 Like

I will do this now and report back..... as soon as I figure out how to revert :slight_smile:

I just reverted and tested a few automations and it is VERY noticeably responsive. 2 different automations are now approx 1 second response times.

I have almost all my automations within webcore. Could there be a change in the last release connected to webcore?