Slow issue fixed?

I’ve noticed a difference with motion triggered events. It seems like I used to walk into my bathroom and it’d take 1-2 seconds for the lights to come on, now it’s almost instant.

Using the Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor (built in driver) and The new Inovelli Red Series Dimmers with the custom driver from Inovelli.

3 Likes

This is all great news.

I just turned all my automation back on under Hubitat.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

So it's been 56 hours since the I did a hub reboot with version 2.1.9.114 installed. The hub has started to slow down unfortunately. Motion detectors have 3-4 seconds of reaction time instead of 0.5-1.5 seconds in the beginning.

Hubitat Interface to show apps, dashboard or device list is slower than when I started this test.

EDIT: Now that I tested again, I dont think the UI is any slower than after a reboot. But the devices are slower to respond (tested motion detectors)

I have a Dome zwave+ contact sensor that has always been super quick to react, but now takes around 3 seconds to trigger.

I will wait another day to see if degrades or stays the same. One thing is for sure, something was fixed but there is probably more than one issue going on. I'm happy with the improvement. I could probably reboot every other day or every 3 days.

2 Likes

I didn't have a problem before the update, but carried it out as a matter of housekeeping. This morning my aeotec multi sensor 6 sensors took almost 8 minutes to trigger the dimmers / switches. Rebooting doesn't resolve anything. I left for work this morning healing the z wave network and now it's at least logging movements quicker but still not reacting. I have rules both in motion app and rule machine. Weirdly apps like watchdog are still reporting on time and the hot water secure switch set by rule machine came on at the right time. Everything else is lagging / questionable if working. Additionally dashboard / in the device turning the dimmers on / off is laggy too up to about 5-10 minutes. The update ran fine for the first 2 days though so wondering of something just went wrong, or if it's update related. Sods law says that of all the time the house has a hissy fit, is the same time that I'm due to go away with work and leave the Mrs at home for the week!!

2 Likes

Oy, I thought that was just my house and Hubitat hub.... at least I know I'm not alone - my partner literally dreads when I have to travel for work, as she knows things will likely go into the toilet while I'm gone... VPN in on my phone to reboot hub is usually the first course of action.

It's also somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one facing hub slowdowns and/or lost events (I turned off ALL sensor-based automation and only have time-based rules for sunset/sunrise). Those time-based automations seem to be working better now with the new update, but direct control and Alexa control still are VERY slow, but not consistently - they can be super-fast, or dreadfully slow... ugh, how can this still be an issue at this point in Hubitat's evolution?

I had to reboot this morning, after 3 days without rebooting, the hub was just too slow. RM was very slow, drop downs and options would appear after 5-11 seconds on every mouse click, very sluggish.

On the bright side, this usually starts happening after a couple of hours (6-10h) after reboot on my hub.

after the upgrade it took close to 3 days to do about the same behavior (slowly slowing down). I'm sure Hubitat staff are getting close to the problem... or problems.

3 Likes

I've believed for quite a while that there are multiple issues, all of them lead to "Slow Down".

Some have been 'solved' for months, such as the Ethernet 100/full speed one. Apparently another was found and 'fixed' - in the sense the hub no longer crashes when it gets one specific overload detected.

I'm pretty certain there are others to be found as this onion gets peeled. :slight_smile:

The critical element is going to be "US" reporting in detail how it's happening. We need to involve Support with enough examples that commonality can be deduced OR better yet, replicated.

13 Likes

Just an update on how my hubs are running since I stopped rebooting them every other day last Saturday.
I have had no significant issues since I stopped rebooting.
The "Rootin Tootin Reboot App" has not invoked any reboots.
Hub watchdog has shown the odd slow response and on checking the time they were around the time I had completed a manual backup and download to my PC.

The disclaimer here is that I have been running the manual reboots for some time now so my hubs may have been OK but I did start doing it as I was having the occasional issue with both hubs.

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: that the issue that was fixed in 2.9 has at least fixed the issues I was having.

(I'm tempting fate posting this i know. :pleading_face: )

3 Likes

Too late, everything will start crashing down any minute now :wink:

I did a hub reboot this afternoon after holding off for two days. My motion automations were still running well, maybe some latency, but noting major like it used to. The only reason I had to reboot was that RM was getting very sluggish. I would wait for the next option to showup 5-6 seconds driving me mad.

1 Like

I was having automatic reboot happen every other day, but may need to bring it back to every day.

This is the worst issue to debug - inconsistent performance. I spent a lot of time with @bobbyD initially debugging a weak Z-wave network, but now that we have that cleared up, I'm still seeing slowdown behavior, not with time-based automations anymore (thankfully), but with Aeotec Multisensor 6's driving Aeotec Micro Dimmers.

The problem is, there is no discernible pattern at this point - the sensor automations can work fine 9 out of 10 times, then randomly either take > 10-15 seconds, or, fail to come on at all. This also shows itself occasionally with our friend the dreaded 'Device Not responding' with Alexa control.

I do feel like this last update has gotten us closer to solving this, but it still seems like there is something core happening in event processing that needs to be looked at.

Just my 2cts on this. My experience is that my slowdowns are only occurring (or looks like it) when I have a dashboard on whole day long on a tablet. If I disconnect the tablet from wifi the hub doesn't get slower over time.

Dashboard is definitely one culprit - so much so that I removed the app from the hub for now. I still see the symptoms I'm describing, but, time-based automations are a lot more stable now without Dashboard. But, it's clearly something more than just Dashboard.

I still use dashboards on my phone, but I only load them when needed and close the connection afterwards.

Too bad you still experience slowness. Maybe me too, but I reboot every time an update is released. So maybe that is just enough for me to not notice it yet.

1 Like

were you having general slow downs and/or z-wave network locking up?
Hub wise mine works fine, just now and again my z-wave locks (zigbee, wifi fine) only fix is to shut down and unplug for a minute , then reboots and all is fine.

I had major Z-wave network issues (likely caused by problems connecting a GoControl garage door opener that was flaky), but we got those sorted out.

It's looking very much like hub slowdown in event processing at this point. For example, if a motion automation fails to work, I can usually use the web interface or even Alexa control, and the device responds almost immediately.

any tips for debugging?

Not really - I have provided screenshots of the event logs to @bobbyD in support showing events not being delivered, and he has free access to anything in my logs (with my permission) that might help.

just seam to have gone quite on the support front. i still don't know if its z-wave issue, hardware issue or software.

I suppose you could try turning off and one the zwave radio when this happens and see if it temporarily fixes the issue. If it does, enabling descriptive text logging in each zwave device may help locate a problem device. I had a Enerwave zwave dimmer (not plus) that was causing problems for me a while back. It’s in the drawer of shame now, replaced by a zigbee dimmer.

2 Likes

I've tried turning the radio off ( ad rebooting) to no avail, only thing that unlocks it a complete disconnect of power.

Done some monitoring and reviewing of logs looking for the last device before a lock but it isn't consistent