Slow issue fixed?

I was looking at the bottom of my Devices tab when I noted that some Devices were assigned to Apps or Rules that I knew they werenā€™t being used in.
When I looked at the apps or rules, sure enough those Devices were NOT listed or visible. But the Devices tab said they were being used by them.
Iā€™ve since deleted what I think are all these ā€œpeculiaritiesā€.
Just something to check.

Did you look in the app properties or just in the app itself? If it's not listed on the app properties, then it shouldn't be in-use-by.

Slowdown issue still affecting me even after updating to 2.1.9.117. I have to reboot every couple days otherwise everything slows to a crawl. Even opening the login page takes quite a while when the hub gets into slowdown mode.

I did not have this issue several versions back, and I haven't made any changes recently since the slowdowns started happening. There was clearly some bug introduced in a recent version that causes some thread to runaway and eat resources.

2 Likes

There was a thread recently where app were hanging on to devices say if you swapped a sensor for another

1 Like

Since that has been around forever and the only symptom is a false "in-use-by", I would be very, VERY surprised if this had anything to do with hub slow-downs.

1 Like

So I just had a good experience following the advice on this thread:

I bought the UZB stick and installed the software and was able to identify a flaky Nano switch that was bogging down my main hub Z-Wave network. Highly recommend.. it's fairly simple in terms of setup and execution.

8 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

I have never had slowdown issues on my four C4 hubs, But I use very little Z-Wave or ZigBee - a sprinkling of devices on each so I've long thought issues on these networks might be the elusive culprit for slow downs.

Whilst I partially agree with our 'Ambassador' @SmartHomePrimer in his defence of not being a Hubitat defect persay I do think if this issue is contributory then HE could do a bit more to identify and alleveiate it and warn the user that this is causing issues. Maybe monitoring any Z reponses, timing them and alerting the user as well as isolating HE's overall performance hit from such scenarios, assuming such is possible.

I do believe that an 'automation controller' that you purchase for your home should be near 100% reliable and dependable both in terms of what it does and how quickly it reacts - to the best of it's abilities being dependent on external network frailties.

Rebooting is a plaster for a wound that masks an underlying issue.. somewhere. An automation controller should never require this to ongoingly function. I could not depend on such a controller.

3 Likes

It would be the first ever if they could somehow pull that off. :wink:

2 Likes

I agree but there is no reason it shouldn't get so much better than experience shows here... unless..... the external interfaces break...

i.e.

Z-Wave and/or ZigBee are not tameable in this way 
 (which is always a worry with radio based systems)

To a lesser extent WiFi ?

Internet fails

Your Intranet fails

A device physically fails

.. and I use 'unless' to mean the latter three really - are Z networks fundamentally flawed in this respect, except the obvious flaw of being radio based ?

P.S. You might get the impression I'm very sceptical about the capabilities of 'Z' and other low power home control networks in more challenging environments - I'm an RF engineer - you'd be right.

:grin: You and I are more in agreement here than debating :wink:

Evidence that I see shows Hubitat is headed in that direction. The timelines for updates, fixes and improvements is faster than any home automation platform I have experience with.

As for low power radio protocols, well yeah, but what would it look like to launch a hub that doesn't support what the industry has delivered? I mean, these guys didn't invent the protocols the hub is using, nor did they make the decision that the majority of the home automation devices for sale should use them. Perhaps a vision of Hubitat in the distant future might include them creating a new protocol. Reality today is, they are a small startup, and not in the position to call those kind of shots like Google or Amazon has tried and are still trying to do.

They're making great strides with what the industry had given them to work with, and breaking ground that no one has broken with a consumer home automation hub to date. I applaud their efforts and intend to keep supporting them by staying calm and not extending a finger at them every time I encounter an issue, rather than figuring out what the problem is (present company excluded of course :grin:).

No doubt someone who fails to completely read my post or understand what I'm referring to will automatically reply with something like "it never happened before the latest firmware update". But responses like that just completely discount the idea that a device can start causing issues at any time. Just because they notice the issue following a hub update, doesn't mean there's instant proof that it's to blame. I've been in that software update blame trap many times in my life and pretty well always have nice big plate of crow in the end. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Time and time again, those like @frits that eventually discover what device(s) in their system was causing the issue, quickly realize that the hub platform, while not at some euphoric state of perfection (that doesn't actually exist anywhere, with anything) is actually quite stable and fast once the problem devices are found.

Rome wasn't built in a day! :smiley:

5 Likes

I shouldn't have said anything. I jinx it. Tonight (my local time) I had a slow reaction of a motion light again. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't the hub because a different light with a different motion sensor did work on time right before it happened. And as soon as I pushed a button for another light the light in question also went on. The odd thing though was that the first light (zigbee smart light with z-wave motion sensor) worked as expected. Though the next light (zigbee smart light with zigbee motion and zigbee contact sensor) didn't work. And as soon as I hit the button (zigbee hue dimmer button and zigbee smart light) not only that light went on, but the one not working also went on. It was like the zigbee mesh on HE ( because all zigbee light are on their own mesh on the hue bridge) was asleep until I hit that button.

This may be a delay that happens within the Hue API. I occasionally get a delay on certain lights (all Hue) attached to my Hue bridge, but similar to what youā€™re describing, on the second press they work right away. I have actually had this happen when using the Hue app too. Never have figured that one out, but itā€™s minor and very seldom. I have a lot of other stuff thatā€™s IP connected that I really need, so thatā€™s an issue that Iā€™m not that concerned about. It is nothing like the slowdowns that eventually occur if I donā€™t reboot daily. Thatā€™s a problem I would like to find, but Iā€™m too busy right now. Happy with the automatic reboots overnight for now to keep the WAF at a high level.

1 Like

Same here. All was fine before the updates. Now itā€™s requiring reboots and my Schlage locks are dropping.

If you really suspect thatā€™s the problem, why not roll back?

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be doing that tomorrow. It just locked up again. WAF declining :frowning:

Has anyone here bought a second hub and restored the data and moved the stick to the new hub to rule out hardware? I understand if you have a C5 hub this is not possible, but I am curious. I am tempted to buy another hub myself to test this with the issue I experience, although mine is not very often so I have been lazy getting around to it.

I personally do not have the regular slow downs, but I do see the once a month or so issue were response time gets out of control and the ONLY fix that works is performing a soft reset, after which I am good for a while again. Still never figured this one out, been going on for over 6 months at this point.
But the soft reset is easy enough where I just deal with it for now because otherwise everything does work well.

Also this bring me to why is there is still no backup for devices? Re-paring over 100 devices is unacceptable in a hardware failure, considering the hub has been out for over 2 years. A good reliable backup is important, yet here we are with no easy way to backup devices, I really hope internally this is a priority over add new "features."

Are you talking about Z-Wave devices? The Zigbee device links are kept in the database backup, but you have to rejoin the devices if you factory reset or switch hardware. This isn't different for other hubs.

Both device types, z-wave is even worse. I should not have to do this in the event of a failure. Personally "other hubs" not supporting this is just an excuse to me. Unless your telling me it's physically impossible to backup all data and devices.

My personal opinion is: I doubt that it is a current priority. I do believe Hubitat staff when they said it was on their list.. I'm just betting it's not anywhere near the top.. yet.

You can use Aeon's Backup software to backup the Aeon Z-Stick. This implies that it is possible to do. I've done this with my Z-Stick many, many times. It takes a considerable bit of time. During that time, the Z-Stick probably isn't available for other traffic. Well.. lower than 'probably'.. it's very unlikely.

Therefore, I am back to 'I'm just betting it's not anywhere near the top.. yet.'

1 Like