Simple Email Notifications

it now also supports authentication.. username password but non encrypted.

1 Like

And TLS.

I have Webcore up and running and it does seem to be easy now that I have the basic mechanics down.

1 Like

You might of found it already, but there is an active forum around webCoRE. Most topics are compatible with Hubitat and SmartThings. Largest difference is Hubitat runs everything local and is much faster. To note the UI configuration is cloud based, but once you save the piston it loads and executes on the the HE hub.

1 Like

Thanks. I was literally just wondering this! I did discover the forum and have already searched it. I think Webcore might work for me, however, I had a piston that was supposed to run this morning and the log says it did, but no email...so I need to troubleshoot and figure it out. Thank you for the recommendation.

There are a number of other approaches:

1. The one that I personally use: DoNS (assuming that you have a RPI or the like, at your convenience):
    Few outstanding feature questions
  2. You may also wish to explore the email application from Cobra, as part of cobra's apps.
1 Like

Thanks. DoNS seems to be a better solution than Sendmail or Sendgrid, but more complex than Webcore. I have Webcore up and running and the email integration took all of 1 minute to setup. Cobra declined my application...like it was a job interview or something...really weird.

??

DoNS requires sendmail to be installed .....

So why would you do DoNS and Sendmail when you can use Sendmail solo? Although "can" is a subjective term. I tried it and couldn't get it to work.

DoNS provides Hubitat with an interface to sendmail via @erktrek’s Hubitat driver.

Edit - here is @erktrek’s introduction to DoNS:

I will add that works really well - I’ve used it early 2019.

Kahn's interface seems to provide an interface to Sendmail without a server...but anyhow, I am happy with Webcore and am going to see if I can make it work. Thanks for the info.

Maybe so - to be clear, my post was to clarify the comment that “DoNS seems to be a better solution than Sendmail”.

1 Like

@kahn-hubitat, when I try to add your app I get the following error:

No signature of method: Script1.attribute() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String, java.lang.String) values: [lastCommand, string] on line 33

Line 33 contains the following:

attribute "lastCommand", "string"

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Marc

Its not an app its a device handler.

You add it as a device handler/driver, as @kahn-hubitat notes, and then you create devices for each phone number or email you want to send messages to. If you put in a phone number you have to use a number that your ISP allows an email to generate a text. For me on Verizon it's xxx-xxx-xxxx@vtext.com.

You then select those devices you created (essentially choosing what email addresses or phone numbers you want to send messages to) in your notification apps.

Thanks to both of you for that info -- that makes total sense -- kind of embarrassing I didn't realize this myself...

I have it set up, but I am unable to send msgs. I am attempt to use my gmail account to do this. Are there any known-reasons this won't work with gmail's SMTP server, or do I just need to bottom out a config mistake on my end?

Some screenshots below, thanks again for any help you can provide

!

Marc

wont work with gmail.. gmail requires encryption which the hubitat telnet library does not have implemented. you need to either go normally to your isp first which usually allows with just an username and password.

Thank you for that info. I tried it with smtp.comcast.net without success. It looks like they also require an encrypted connection.

Marc

comcast works fine.. you dont put in a username password
use smtp.comcast.net
port 25
and use your comcast email as the from address.

Sharptools has an email integration for notifications although it is cloud based and cost $30.00 / year.