Simple Automation Rules issues after updating

After updating (it was probably over a year since the last update, once things are working I like to leave them alone, because issues like this one tend to pop up otherwise), Simple Automation Rules is no longer working. I was getting an error trying to load any of the rules or even the main app itself. System log only shows a very generic message:

2021-08-13 08:43:27.698 am errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: null (motionHandler)

I recreated all but one rule in another app, but the motion app can't turn on lights at a set time (sunrise and sunset), so I need to get Simple Automation Rules working. I delete all the old rules and the main app itself. It seems to uninstall correctly, but in the log each time I get an error such as this:

2021-08-13 08:48:08.440 am errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: null (uninstalled)

I go to install a fresh copy, but there are TWO listings for Simple Automation Rules. Exact same name, almost exact same description (one says "Easily create simple lighting automations" and the other says "Easily create simple automations"). Installing the first one (with "lighting" in the description) gives the exact same error as before, including in the logs. I uninstalled that and installed the second one, this will at least load up, but when I try to make a rule I get this error in the browser (and NO error in the logs):

Error 404

Child app not found for namespace: hubitat and name: Simple Automation Rule 1.1

The Page requested could not be found

If you are seeing this screen repeatedly, please contact Support. For assistance, email support@hubitat.com or go to community.hubitat.com.

Yes, I have rebooted multiple times.

I'd rather not wipe and start over, as everything else seems to be working (and I could work around the issue using Alexa to turn on/off at sunset/sunrise).

Thoughts?

A reboot will clear this up.

I've rebooted multiple times. Is there a special reboot I should be performing? What I'm doing is clicking Settings, then Reboot Hub (under Restart your hub safely), then clicking OK when I'm prompted "Are you sure you want to reboot the hub?"

Edit: I should clarify, I have rebooted after completely removing the Simple Automation Rules app, then reinstalling after the reboot, then reboot after the installation. For both of the Simple Automation Rules apps that are still showing up.

The one thing I haven't tried is installing both Simple Automation Rules apps simultaneously, I'm concerned that if anything were to actually break the Hubitat, it'd be doing that.

Please try these steps:

1. Download a backup of you hub database from Settings / Backup and Restore.
  2. Make note of your hub MAC address from Settings / Hub Details (copy to clipboard is good).
  3. Go to url [hub-ip-address]:8081
  4. Perform Soft Reset using the MAC address as the password.
  5. When the green welcome screen comes up, click on Restore from Backup at the bottom of the page, and select the file you downloaded in step 1.
1 Like

Did that, it's still showing two entries for Simple Automation Rules. Should I not proceed further? I'll try to attach a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

I think that it didn't fully remove the old instance of Simple Automation Rules, even though it looked like it did. Not sure. I wouldn't mind downgrading and restoring an old backup, deleting the problematic app, then upgrading...but it looks like I'd lose the work I put in last night; Homekit is actually working rather well and I'd like to not lose that.

Don't worry about this. Only use one of them to install SAR. Let me know if it works now.

Nope, same issue. Trying to install the first one gives an error. The second one does install, but then when trying to create a rule I get 404 error I described earlier.

I went so far as to go back to 2.1.8.114 (I obviously restored a backup from that firmware), then "rolled back" to 2.1.8.115, made sure that everything looked good (no double Simple Automation Rules showing up...in fact zero showed up, the old Hubitat Simple Lighting is what showed up, and only once!). Then upgraded to the current firmware...back to the same issue.

Then I tried ONE MORE rollback to 2.1.8.114, making sure I completely wiped out the Simple Automation Rules in the apps. Then upgraded back to current. I now have THREE listing for Simple Automation Rules. Only the middle installs, and it still gives the 404 error.

Edit: I restored the database backup for the current firmware, and we're back to only showing two Simple Automation Rules apps in the list.

We will need to take a look at your database to see what might be done. But that can't happen until early next week.

I am having the same problem

Any update? Still having the same issue.

None of these steps worked for me either, Simple Automation is no longer simple.

I too am having this issue with Simple Automation Rules after updating my hub to the most recent software.

I'm having this problem as well. It's extremely frustrating as I was using this for most of my automations. My symptoms are identical to the OP and none of the suggested fixes work.

@bravenel is there any update? I emailed support as well several weeks ago.

We are investigating....

Any update? This is really frustrating.

Still waiting. I agree, very frustrating. Wouldn't mind a way to manually delete all the simple lighting stuff and start over...since I already deleted all my configuration for that. It's starting to look like the only way to fix it is to start completely over, and I have a lot of devices I'd have to re-pair.

I did a soft reset to get back to factory default. Reinstalled all the devices and re-setup the automation rules.

Took 2 days of off and on working on it. But not having them was worse.

The fix for this is going to be in release 2.2.9, now in beta. There won't be a release with a fix prior to that.

You don't need to remove all of your devices, as this problem has nothing to do with devices. I don't know what all you have setup, but it is possible to remove all of Simple Automation Rules, or any individual rule. Use the gear icon to the left on the Apps page, and in lower right corner, remove app.

I already removed all of the Simple Automation Rules. That's what I meant...I already removed all the rules I had, so it'd be fine if there was some "click this button to REALLY get rid of all the Simple Automation Rules and start fresh with Simple Automation Rules", vs the weird mess it's in now. It still shows up double when I go to add a new built-in app, and neither works. If I start over from scratch, I'd hope that would work...but then I'd have to set EVERYTHING back up again.

So you completely removed SAR, and when you go to create a new SAR rule it shows Error 404?

Could you post a screenshot of this please, of the Apps page.

Don't do this! See PM I sent you.