Show Off Your Network Closet (Enclosure)

Heyo everyone!

I haven't seen a topic based around showing off your network closet or smart home gear location. So lets get one started!

Post a picture or pictures of your current smart home network closet or enclosure! Lets get those ideas flowing.

More or less the same still

8 Likes

Only one hub is actually present in this photo, there’s a C5 on one of the shelves. The C7 is being PoE powered in an upstairs closet alongside a Hue hub. There’s also a second C7 not featured, that lives in a detached garage.

1 Like

This is impressive work! What all is going on here?

1 Like

What's all the equipment shown?

From top to bottom:

25: Ethernet patches
24: usw-24-poe - Basically a 24 port POE switch from Unifi
23: UDMP - Unifi Dream Machine Pro
20-22: Shelf has the C5 on it, powered via a POE dongle
16-19: A drawer
5-15: There's a Raspberry Pi on here that currently runs NUT UPS, connects to a SDR dongle that I'm reading signals being broadcast from my gas and electric meter, and an instance of HomeAssistant that I don't really use. The tower is a server build from a couple of years ago, has a supermicro board. Runs ESXI with a couple of VMs - Splunk, a wireguard VM, a Teslamate VM, PacketFence, etc.
4: Just an empty power strip
3: A Cyberpower 500VA UPS (forget the SKU of this one, but it's a 1U UPS)
1-2: PR1500RT2U: A 1500VA Cyberpower UPS (I got tired of a couple of power outages this year so got myself an oversized UPS to keep me up longer)

This is mostly my network rack, though there are two HEs up there too. The rest is in a closet on the 1st floor for better coverage, Both HEs and the Arlo hub are powered with PoE splitters.

3 Likes

I made the rack out of spare plywood I had laying around. Sweet huh?

6 Likes

What's the deal with the UDM pro 8 ports no one is using? Is there a reason other than POE?
I think I am the only one using all the ports :flushed:

1 Like

Left to right moving from top down....

C7
Blink Camera Modules
Unifi USW-24-POE

SmartThings Hub (actually don't need this anymore)
RPi4 Running Home Assistant and Mosquitto

Lower left corner is a USG-3P which goes over and feeds the USW-24-POE via SFP port
Next to that is a Unifi Switch 8 60 Watt that gets it's uplink from the other SFP port on the main switch.

The C7, SmartThings, and RPi4 all run off the Switch 8.

Also from the Switch 8 is the Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus (to the right of the Switch 8) its running the upgraded 5TB drive for our hardwired outdoor cameras.

The fiber jack is next to that.

On the patch panel is every TV in the house, access points, and cameras.

I like how it has an old school vibe from when you knew something was high end because it was hand made enclosers.

meaning with an adapter I'm assuming?

No... really just PoE. But once I committed to the 24 port switch I figured I would use it as a distribution switch and leave the UDM ports alone. Though I do plug a laptop in occasionbally for configuration.

There was also something about the back haul being very very limited on those ports too I think.

You guys make me jealous, lol I would be embarrassed to post what I have going on right now...

6 Likes

Yeah, I use a PoE Texas branded adaptor I got via Amazon.

1 Like

Yeah I thing the whole thing is a shared 1gb bus... so low bandwidth stuff

2 Likes

Do you have any issues with rf interference? :grinning:

Shelf I installed at the top of the basement stairs. Perfect spot in the middle of the house, out of sight but easy to access.

APC Back-UPS 650
ASUS RT-AX68U
Hubitat C7
Hue Hub

Two mini PCs acting as servers: AdGuardHome / PiHole, Homebridge, Node-Red, InfluxDB,2 Grafana, Plex, Zniffer

3 Likes

You have the most toys and you WIN :+1: