I'm a long time ST user starting to look in the direction of HE.
It's my first post, so i hope this is posted in the right corner of the community.
Before taking the plunge, i have been searching this community for a couple of days, and checking compatibility for my current devices.. Most devices seems to be supported apart from some Chinese dry contact Zigbee relays i use in a coffee machine hack and some other nerdy places. I can live without it, so i'm not running away yet.
But my investigations have left me with at couple of questions, which i hope you folks can help me with?
I'm thinking of running on a single hub setup as i do in ST.
My current migration plan is to disconnect my ST, open a cold beer, start resetting all my devices, and then start from scratch with HE, to attack the learning curve this way.
(pro/con advises here would be appreciated)
I have a lot of them in all shapes and sizes.
In ST they have been my (rock solid) back bone of my Zigbee mesh.
- Are all types of Ikea bulbs supported (as in ST) with a built in DH (i guess ZLL dimmer bulb), or is only some specific models/types considered HE-friendly?
- I've seen a couple of post that states, that bulbs should be kept on a separate hub.
I'm no Zigbee engineer, but if they seem to be excellent repeaters (at least in ST) why wouldn't you want them on the same mesh as the rest of your endpoints?
- In ST they have been very Xiaomi/Aqara friendly - is that the case with HE too?
Ikea buttons (remotes)
I have been using the cheap on/off buttons that comes with the smart outlets with great succes in ST. They are natively supported by ST now (for the last 3-4 months maybe more) with a stock DH. I haven't been able to find a single post in this community, that says they will work with HE. Some even states they never will.
- Why are they not working in HE when they do in ST?
I've somehow got the idea that ST and HE where very much alike Zigbee wise, apart from the local/cloud execution. Am i wrong here?
HE app / Remote control
I have seen some people describing that they are able to control there homes remotely (locks, lights and so on).
But i have also read that you can only control HE from the local network.
- Can remote control be done by the official HE app, or do you have to use some other tricks to get remote control? (answered below)
- Does the HE app have widgets (Android) ?
(Use case: I'd like to manually trigger my Arrive and Leave routines/automations)
Oops! This post got longer than i expected - feel free to comment on my Q's individually - ALL inputs are welcome..!!