Should i stay or should i go

Shelly 1 has a dry contact and its supported in HE . Have a bunch and they are cheap as hell...

1 Like

Dammit, @erktrek, I wanted to say that!! :wink: The Clash still owe me a fresh set of eardrums...man they were LOUD, like The Who loud, in concert.

@AnubizDK, come on over, it is definitely a user-friendly place that values and supports community involvement and customizations driven by community members. Very inclusive, active, and energetic. If a Hubitat app or driver doesn't exist for somenting then folks in the community have usually created one (or two or three) to fill the gap. When the official company stance is "Go Forth and Customize Your Experience!" it really encourages developers to throw their energy and time into really good stuff.

It sounds like you don't have any Zwave devices, from your description of your setup. Is that correct? If you do have Z-Wave devices you depend on, there are currently some pretty significant Z-Wave growing pains w/the new C7 hub that you definitely want to let others already involved work through before you join. Those issuse are focused in Zwave devices, so if you decide to get started soon, you should start w/migrating over the Zigbee part of your setup, and leave Z-Wave on ST hub until the Z-Wave issues are sorted, and then bring over your Z-Wave stuff.

2 Likes

Ideally yes, Zigbee bulbs are normally better off HE Zigbee. This I found via trail and error, and then properly using an Xbee to view my mesh.

Ikea bulbs will repeat ZHA devices, although mileage can vary from mesh to mesh. I have quite a few Xiaomi devices here and they love a good Ikea partner :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I do similar, with a little CSS magic to make them look more like 1 big button

1 Like

Hello, and welcome aboard!

I personally have 4 Ikea Tradfri GU10 bulbs on a hoodfan. I have had many issues keeping them going on Hubitat. Mostly those issues have been my fault. If you turn off the power to those bulbs for a certain length of time, they will drop from the mesh. If the repeater that connects your bulbs to the Hub goes down for a certain length of time, they will drop from the mesh.
There may be other issues with keeping these bulbs on the mesh as well.
You may , or may not, have issues. Only time will tell.
I also used the same driver that @bertabcd1234 recommends.
Best of luck - you may also wish to keep your SmartThings around, and keep those bulbs on it. Connect them all with HubConnect - a brilliant, fantastic program to join devices from many hubs.
(Including SmartThings).

2 Likes

This is generally why I prefer smart switches or dry contact relays.. but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do!

Thanks for the information. FWIW, the IKEA bulbs have proved to be the most stable bulbs I have as far as staying on the network and speed of response. I have several Zwave switches and also OSRAM/Lightify (the latter are HORRIBLE BTW - Can't dim below 40% or they just shut off). The IKEA are the only Zigbee small candelabra bulbs I could find for my ceiling fans (none of which have neutrals in the switch fixtures). I suppose it is dependent on the hub they are on. I may just leave them in ST and use hub connect to port over. Depends on how things roll with the new ST app.

2 Likes

My 2p is that I have had issues with the Tradfri lamps as repeaters - but only when using them with Xiaomi devices (which aren't officially supported, because they're damn finnicky). When I used them with purely IKEA kit they were solid and definitely the most reliable lamps I've used. And they're affordable!

As for Tradfri Repeaters, I'd tell everyone to go out and buy twenty. They work with anything and only ever seem to do good.

Really... you mean those little on/off rocker switches? Could you point me to that DH? :thinking:

1 Like

Sounds good @Royski Thanks..!
I don't use RGB bulbs either, but i do have a few "White spectrum" Ikea's though..

1 Like

I do have Z-Wave devices, but only 3, so barely enough to call it a mesh;
Danalock V3
Fibaro dimmer 2,
Dlink DCH-Z510 sirene.

Do you think they would be affected by the "Z-Wave growing pains" you describe?

Hi @jtmpush18
I keep a strict "always on" policy in my house for all my devices.
I have replaced all my wall switches with Xiaomi Zigbee buttons and have changed the wiring, so that all bulb fixtures are always ON.
This is - i think - way cheaper, and easier than filling your house with Z-Wave smart switches, and the WAF is pretty high..! :wink:
And most buttons isn't even used that much any more, as your lighting automation designs improves as you go along..

1 Like

Thanks @tray_e
Just the answer i was hoping for..!

AFAIK my Xiaomi endpoints has been very stable with my Ikea bulb mesh on ST..
(Door sensors, motion sensors Temp/humidity sensors, relays, and lot's of different buttons)
The only issues i have had was when the Xiaomi's ran low on battery - but most of them ran for 2 years straight out of the box. (Or when ST F**ked something up on their journey to the new app) :roll_eyes:

Yup - those are the ones..
I didn't use a custom DH on those..
I've read somewhere one day that they where supported on ST, and when i tried to pair one of them they just showed up as "Ikea Button".
(You can select that Type in IDE in ST)
The similar button that comes with the Ikea Zigbee roller blinds works as well - they can both be used as a two button remote, and presents both "pushed" and "Held" events..

Does anyone have any success with these on HE..?

Just keep in mind, I have not moved them to HE yet. I have been using them on ST. Still looking for best methods on HE for using them.

1 Like

Agreed. I use smart switches where I can without major electrical work. Unfortunately, the majority of my lighting fixtures are multi switch set up and none of the auxiliary switches have neutrals in the box.

Also, several of the light switches operate different lights than I normally would have chosen as groups. With Zigbee bulbs and button switches, I can group them how I like. I just cover the original switches with guards to prevent people from turning them off. (But, the switches are still readily available when/if I want them for any reason - like rejoining the network - which is somewhat frequent with the OSRAMs)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AMERELLE-Switch-Guards-2-Pack-SG1/100628705

1 Like

Zigbee group messaging feature of HE groups really helps avoid the "popcorn" effect. For giggles I replaced my 8 den recessed lights with Sengled Color+ bulbs and the on/off/color change is pretty much instant for all of them. I have a switch protector for the primary. Replaced the secondary with a "power only" (bypassed secondary, no load) Aeotec nano switch.

While it is kinda cool to change colors etc it's pretty much a novelty at this point. My house switches etc do have neutrals so I can go the smart switch route.

1 Like

Certainly could be likely... Keep them on ST until the Z-Wave issues are worked out. I think they are getting very close to a fix.

2 Likes

Have you looked at Zooz switches? They're designed to work in 3/4-way configurations with minor rewiring. Unless I misinterpreted your meaning re: auxiliary switches

1 Like

The killer devices for me are their WXKG wireless wall switches, as they're the only way to do true two-way lighting control with the Xiaomi Aqara kit, at least with UK wiring. The problem I've had is that those models (the wireless wall switches in particular, but also the little buttons) get dropped from the mesh in a heartbeat and they only report in once every 50 minutes.

I've just paired another two QBGK wired wall switches and the WXKG wireless ones have stayed connected perfectly, which when I did the same thing a few weeks ago with the Trådfri lamps on the mesh it caused all WXKG devices to be thrown off. These are the new D1 models by the way; for me the original generation versions were hopeless - and I persevered for nearly two years.

Wow, in a long winded way I guess I'm saying that if you have any problems, remove your lamps and try again. :slight_smile:

Not that I'm aware of so far, but next time I'm in IKEA I'll pick up a lamp-and-button bundle pack and try the button. They were on offer for £10 recently and despite the lamp issues above, I'm a sucker for IKEA's electrical stuff.

As @tray_e said earlier, of all the lamps I've tried the Trådfri ones are definitely the best at being repeaters. It's just that I've found them to be 85% good while all the rest are 20% good.

2 Likes

Cool.. Keep me posted..
These On/Off and Open/close buttons are the last of my current ST-devices that needs a HE-support check mark.
I can see that in ST these devices creates "child devices", but i'm not sure what that means, and if this is a deal breaker regarding HE? They also mention that it has something to do with touchlink. But as i mentioned in my first post :arrow_up:, they work great in ST..
Found this post among others: Ikea Blinds - #80 by Ryan780 which doesn't get my hopes up..

Must admit that i've spent most of my weekend reading through lots of exciting posts on this community, and i'm very close to push the "Buy_a_Hubitat" button..

1 Like