Share Your Data Logging and Visualization Implementations

darn, sorry. (I do have an edu address).

I do note that's for legacy accounts. If you sign up for a new individual account, I think it is only $10/month. Which, is a fair amount, but certainly cheaper than the crazy $1000/month or whatever it used to be. lol.

Nothing to be sorry about. It is a nice service and I am already sending quite some measurements to it. I'll see what I will do in the future. I like the InfluxDB and Grafana approach, even though I would have to spark up a RPi for it, but I donยดt like the reports of the instability of it, so this is a good middle step :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, just to add what I'm doing. I wanted something completely local that captured both logs and events. I'm using the undocumented web sockets for both, NodeRed consuming those and storing all the data in a local MySQL database. This way, my hub can focus on controlling my devices and automations and not have to push out more local net traffic if it doesn't need to (beyond what it is already pushing out for web sockets).

For graphing, I'm using Grafana (which I'm still in the process of setting back up after one of my NAS drives went south last week (sigh)).

I had thought about using the InfluxDB driver, but I'm trying to use as few 3rd party apps/drivers in my hub as possible. So, I figured out a solution that doesn't add anything to my hub and takes the overhead of network and processing traffic and shifts it over to my home server. I also didn't want to run another InfluxDB or Prometheus instance when I already have a large MySQL instance running and used in other things for my setup.

This is the NodeRed logging flow I created:

This is my events table:

This is my logs table:

3 Likes

Now this is exciting, and they claim it is free !

Who is able and willing to write some code so that one could potentially use this service ? Looks very similar to Initial State.

2 Likes

Could you help me with the log websocket address? Iโ€™m successfully following events but hadnโ€™t realized I could also access logs?

Thanks.

ws://[hubitat_ip]/logsocket

:smiley:

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Zooz data from Hubitat to InfluxDB and Grafana on RPi.

3 Likes

How many devices you guys logging in InfluxDB? I have about 20-30 devices and suspect that this maybe slowing down the hub. I have been getting the "Zigbee network is offline" message lately, and I suspect it may be related to this app.

I have around 25 devices and it's working fine, but InfluxDB it's not on a RPi but on a Ubuntu VM, I don't know if DB writing times could impact as well.

Mine is running on my Freenas server which is plenty powerful.

this is awesome! I love how I can see the automatons work and how the fans brings the humidity down etc.

5 Likes

how did you make the the active/ inactive motion bar? im a grafana noob and cant figure that one out.

When you choose to create a new panel, one of the options should be "Discrete". I believe it is a built in panel...if it's not there just search for it under Configuration (cog icon) -> Plugins and install it.

1 Like

Before I think about trying to implement something like this would like to understand what level of knowledge or experience Is required to implement this. I really like what I see but more times than not it seems it decent level of programming is required for any of this or a deeper level of understanding of Linux.

What sensor do you use to monitor the hot tub temperature?

The one built in to my Intermatic heater.

I use this with Smartthings and it is adequate. It only shows data up to 1 week before and seems to filter data that is constant. It would be useful for Hubitat anyway. Is there any other alternative that does not involve installing a server device at home, such as Simple Gdrive Logger in Smartthings?

I use Hundredgraphs with ST and it works alright but only has 1 week history. If someone can migrate the Google Sheets Logger from Smartthings, it would be a decent enough and easy alternative to the whole InfluxDB thing.

Of course, after I make a PR I see there's already another one by @morse.caleb . Well anyways, I was really worried about the potential for a ton of http calls in the stock InfluxDB app. So I added simple write combining and queuing of data, and then stats to see what devices are sending a lot of data, and what the average queue size is.

If anyone is interested:

I'm mainly worried about threading issues, but it shouldn't be hard to fix using similar style to @morse.caleb .

1 Like