Setting up RGBGenie remote ZB-5028

I need a little help getting this remote working. The remote paired perfectly and created 4 child devices.

I made a group with 2 Lightify bulbs and one of the child devices.

But I am unable to control the two bulbs with the remote. The logs indicate that commands are being sent by the child device and received by the hub.

01%20AM

I'm a well-known knucklehead (certified and guaranteed), so I'm probably doing something wrong. A nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Being new to Hubitat myself, this may be a bit of the blind leading the blind. But the endpoint children created by the remote driver are actual devices as far as Hubitat is concerned. So even if you had nothing attached to the remote, those commands would still be sent. Mirror me is then used to relay your EP01 device commands (shown in your log) to the desired devices. This needs to be setup through the Mirror Me app. As always, feel free to give me a call at 520-338-8849. Happy to walk you through it.

Sean
Co-founder RGBgenie

Edit: @mike.maxwell spent quite a bit of time getting me to understand how the driver works in Hubitat. I had to unlearn everything I knew about Touch-Link.

5 Likes

@Gnant

Thank you so much! Works like a charm. Again - let me reiterate. Awesome support. Really appreciate it!!!

3 Likes

Just bought 2 of these. Glad you are working out how to set them up so that you can help me when they arrive :smile:

2 Likes

Something else to look out for is the remote may go to sleep during discovery, so watch the led light on the remote and when it goes off, just press the power button to wake it back up. It should finish initializing then.

But see, that's just good practice anyway. :wink: As someone who's always used ZHA devices, ZLL devices are a PITA. But from an architecture standpoint, they really are rock solid when left to their own devices (pun totally intended). I've been looking at your remotes for a long time now. I was on the first thread asking about them months ago. Glad to see all the bugs are worked out now. :slight_smile:

Any plans to get the ZB-5004 style remote working? I see that it's not on the list of supported devices.

Yes, we have a prototype with new firmware coming soon to test. So it's in the works.

2 Likes

Sweet! Sign me up! The color controls are beautiful but a little out of my price range. Maybe when I get more color bulbs I'll be able to justify it.

1 Like

Is the ZB-5001 ready yet? Thanks

All three from that series, the ZB-5001, ZB-5003 and ZB-5004 will be discovered by Hubitat, but currently the only method of using it to control lights is through Touch-Link. It will not behave as a button controller.

The issue is that the remote will not stay awake long enough for Hubitat to finish what it needs to do with the clusters. And unlike the color RGBW remote, it cannot be woken up to do so. We are creating new firmware and hopefully we can get something to Mike soon.

1 Like

Thanks @Gnant I will be looking for it. There is not a lot of remotes so this would be a great addition.

@Gnant how far along is the development on this? A remote like this is really the missing link I need to full switch over and dump the rest of my WiFi/RF components!

@J.B.Kuma Unfortunately we have not made much progress on the firmware as of yet. But we sure see the need. Wish I had a better answer.

Will the existing devices be user upgradable?

No, unfortunately it will not. If you have one already, we will be happy to swap it out for you.

Sean

Thanks for the quick replies, I was considering picking up one of the existing models as a stop gap.

I'm having some issues with this remote's responsiveness. Sometimes there's a 1-3 sec. delay between pressing buttons and actual actions. Checking the logs, it seems like the button presses are also showing up with a slight delay. Perhaps the remote isn't fully paired?

I also have to press and hold the number buttons to turn on/off zones, is this normal?

Is the area you're using the remote in close to the HE? If it isn't, is there a zigbee repeater close by?

I live in a tiny 700sqft apartment so everything is really close to each other! But yes, I do have a few repeaters spread out, mostly pocket sockets. I've actually been having slow response issues as of late, I haven't been able to pin down exactly what's going on. It usually happens after 2-3 days of hub uptime and a reboot usually fixes it right up.

Something is eating up my hub cpu resources, which i'm assuming also slows down zigbee. I've disabled all cloud based smartapps, (actually offloaded to ST with hubconnect) and only run the default built in apps + lg tv smart app.

Having trouble getting my 502B's to work. Paired one and it built the parent device and 4 kids. Before I go any further I was expecting to see action in the device page and in the logs. I'm getting nothing whatsoever. I make sure the device is on, red light is showing, I click on anything and don't see any log entries. What to do next? I tried removing it, reset and re-paired. Still the same.