Sensor that works unlike Zooz 4 in 1?

Ok, wow, that worked! I attribute it to wishing on a star given no evidence to the contrary.

So, now what? I guess I will add the 4-in-1s and also remove some of the ghosts.

2 Likes

It's good that you chose to stick with it... :rofl:

2 Likes

Ouch... :wink:

Ok, So I've been bitten by the "didn't see that zooz 4in1 are not compatible with C7" brain fart. I have 3 zooz sensors. In the beginning with only 1 sensor (garage) I had no issues whatsoever. So, I add 2 more zooz 4in1 sensors (bathrooms) and now I have issues. One sensor just locked up showing motion all the time. And it chewed up half the battery. I was able to get everything working again. And now, I am here in this thread and just ordered a z-wave stick.

Just so I have this correct:

1. Purchase a USB z-wave stick if you have a large switch/dimmer collection.
  2. I can use the stick to add the zooz 4in1 motion sensors to HE instead of trashing them and getting a different brand.
  3. I can remove the ghost device that keeps me awake at horrible hours of the night.
  4. A stick is fairly cheap in the big picture of keeping your sanity. :rofl:

I have the stick on order and I printed out (and read already) the instructions to add the stick to a PC and how to remove a ghost.

As far as dealing with my zooz situation:

1. exclude the 3 sensors currently on my HE C7
  2. add the sensors to the z-stick (after installing the stick on PC and pairing to HE hub)
  3. sensors should show up in the HE hub?
  4. pick correct driver for sensors
  5. unpair the z-stick from HE hub
  6. enjoy

Am I missing anything?

Just keep in mind that even though pairing without security helps, they are still super chatty devices and may still cripple your network. Pairing without security will reduce the load by about 2/3, it will still spam a lot, and the more your add, the worse it gets.

Removing the ghost will make a big difference though. You may be ok with 3 but just keep it in mind.

Depends on the location and what you are trying to achieve. By far the fastest sensors are the 2018 samsung zigbee motion sensors, Hue motion sensors are equally fast. For bathrooms I prefer the Nyce ceiling mount motion sensors since I can get humidity temp and motion from them. They work well for capturing motion in the shower and bath. Everywhere else I use the Samsung motion sensors.

1 Like

So, should I look at a different brand of motion sensor?

They stopped producing the 2018 samsung motion sensors and they are getting hard to find. I usually grab up any I find when I'm on ebay. I'll send them an offer for $35 each and they usually take it. Not always though. The magnetic mount is nice for sticking them to air ducts. We have high ceilings and I can just slide them off with a broom stick without having to get a ladder. I use the broomstick to stick them back as well. If you have a SmartThings hub connect them to the hub and update the firmware before joining them to Hubitat.

NYCE sensors are amazing but very expensive. Reports temp and humidity as well.

Claim is they last up to 5 years.. haven't owned one that long yet though.

I really like the old Iris sensors but unfortunately they are discontinued. Have hacked them to use usb power.

6e4b979ee7dc194f4ce43e823086e64d0d4a138d_2_374x500

Be careful about some of the utlra cheap tuya/xiaomi stuff - if it's not Zigbee 3.0 you might have mesh issues..

1 Like

I've stopped using them. I wouldn't use any Z-Wave sensor that is not 700 series. Too much hassle to screw around. Plenty of Zigbee ones that work. I know that Zooz does have a new one in development, but I don't know the ETA.

I use the round one that mounts to the ceiling. I don't have any experience with the other one. I went with the ceiling one because it uses triple-a batteries. The steam rising from the shower or bath triggers the humidity faster, and the motion sensor can peek into the shower from above or around the corner to the bath also.

Nyce NCZ-3043-HA ZigBee Ceiling Motion Sensor

1 Like

Same reason I use that exact same device, in the exact same application. :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah I am using both for a client of mine. The regular sensor works great for things like stairs with landings etc - back is angled so you can mount it in a corner. The round ones I've used in closets for the most part but can totally see using it for regular rooms as well use given the wide area of detection.

In the walk-in closets I use the samsung ones stuck to the air vent since I don't need humidity in there. Speaking of which... if you need some, there are probably a bunch on E-Bay right now. I haven't been on to buy them all up in a while.

1 Like

So I found that I could add two of mine back in with stick. The third one was a no go. I am attributing this to the fact the two functioning ones are not around a lot of other zwave switches I have where their constant chatter can break crap. They are on opposite ends of the house with only one zwave switch nearby. The third one was smack dab in the middle of my house between two rooms that each had multiple gang boxes filled with zwave switches and without fail within 48hrs all my zwave switches would stop working and just give up. I’m waiting to find a purpose on another end of the house for this last sensor (possibly garage where I don’t have much going on) to try again and see if location was truly the issue OR if 3 was past the magical working number for me.

Anyone think this is worth a shot or just more heartache and disappointment?

I guess no one knows for sure, but I think it's at least worth trying. :slight_smile: I ordered a couple to play around with and will see how they work for me! It will at least avoid the S0 problem, since it supports S2. (I was really hoping these would be new 700-series devices; alas, they are 500.)

Rcieved 2 tday. Does report temp and humidity . Illuminance is reported but seems slow Takes a couple seconds to report. Can't yet get motion to work. But that maybe my in experience. Will play with it more tomorrow

After the pain with dealing with the 4 in 1 sensors I would wait for some real world reports before trying these.

I never got the Zooz 4-in-1 to work correctly, even when included using alternate controller to disable S0. These sensors cripple the C7 Z-Wave network after the second or third sensor is added.
Difficult to believe this isn’t something specific to the Hubitat C7 since these sensors work well with other controllers. Shame that the problem was dismissed so quickly as a device issue.

Hold off on this purchase. I have two of the older ZSE40 4 in 1s with the 500 Zwave chip set and they work great on my C5 hub. I ordered the two of the newer ZSE11 4 in 1’s with the 700 Zwave chip set knowing they were in Beta for my C7. It was more Beta than I expected, the Hubitat driver for these doesn’t have motion enabled, I am running a community driver to get the motion. The Hubitat driver really only gives you temp and humidity, no other threshold or set up parameters. Zooz is working on it with Hubitat. In addition the humidity reading is off on mine by 10% from my older 4 in 1’s as well as my Ecobbee thermostat.

3 Likes