Sendmail - Send email and text notifications, (notification device) no local server needed

Did a debug log before reading your posts.
It looks like it's rejecting the login.

nope

This is telnet response.
Good?

Check this out.
I did a search and came up with this.
I have no idea how old it is, because Time Warner is long gone.
I put in mail.twc.com for the server and it worked...once anyway.
I'll have to test more.
Here's the link. As I said, no idea how old.
Plus, yours worked with the mail.charter.net server.

It works. Repeatedly.

Is there a difference between Device Notification and Send Msg on device page?

Should there be a concerned about SendFail last command? Perhaps a remnant of previous snafus? My wife's device says OK.

Stopped working again for a few days now.
It still seems to be connecting to twc, but I never get the text.
I'm looking at debug logs.
It's long, I'd have to redact, etc.
Should I be looking for something in particular?

edit: Well, I was able to send an email to myself via Sendmail, so that's something.
Must be something's changed with texting.
Worked when I sent a text through Yahoo mail though.

edit2: This looks good, right? Somehow, texts aren't getting through.

edit2: On the other hand, this doesn't look good:

edit3:(I'm doing this because only 6 unanswered posts allowed)
It's really weird:
-It can send messages to an email address
-Sending it to text via xxx@mms.att.net, or xxx@txt.att.net, doesn't work
-No signs of it not working, far as I can tell, from the logs
-Number not blocked on phone
-Sending a text to phone from the Charter email web interface works

I must be missing something in the log. It's like it's going to a wrong address.

My guess is att blocking it. You wont see anything in the logs. They have started throttling . I had them blocking mine and had to send an email to get it working again. Its all server based so if you csn find a different relay server than charter i bet it works. If they are indeed blocking charter server there is mot much you can do

Ie

I had to contact Verizon support at one point as they were blocking/delaying emails sent to their text messaging queue.

I'm on Spectrum ( née Time Warner) sendmail emails are being sent via their email system (san.rr.com) to Verizon, and things are working for me.

You can also try sending direct to att bypassing the middle man but your isp/charter will have to allow sending on port 25 but not sure if they do

Ie

1 Like

It's just weird that regular emails work, but emails as texts don't.
Plus, I can send emails as texts to our ATT phones from my Charter (Spectrum) web interface email.
It seemed to start when mail.charter.net didn't work and mail.twc.com did..
Oh well. I really got used to it being there.
edit: I read that even Twilio is going away for the little guy.

Not surprising just as i described. Web interface uses a different server . Its the twc server that is being blocked... probably reports of it being used to spam or scam people.

Have you tried direct to att server as i posted.

Yes.

Hey dude - I am sorry. I didnt mean to infer that sendmail was lame. Verizon and AT&T both block email to text and/or delay them and they are lame. Its 100% on me that I could not get sendmail working. Theres a lot of parameters that need to be figured out and every provider is different. I contacted my different providers (also lame) and they couldnt figure out why they were blocking based on "220-we do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited" event with their ssl turned off.

I have smarthings still because I need it to talk to my appliances. I ended up using Mira to emulate devices back to smarthings, then use their free text service for my events like the gate, garage and sensors changing when I am away. Stupid easy and cheaper than a NAS or other equipment when I already had smarthings going.

1 Like

Well, July 28 was my last email notification via AT&T. So, looks like they cut that off too.
Oh well.

Just tested both my hubs att email still working fine.

2 Likes

It now rejects my authentication.

I keep getting this. The username and password are correct and worked in the past.
This is Spectrum.

I don't think is, but could this be a factor?

for anyone looking to setup a relay with sendmail.. i was succesfully able to setup a free smtp2go
account and use it to send a text messge via att..

some things to note.. you need to setup a further trusted sender username and password under your main smtp2g account on the smtp users/manage smtp users page.

this is the username and password that you need to put in the usernamame and password fields..
you also need to enable authentication and ehelo..
this username and password needs to be base64 encoded before entering into your fields below.
recommend using https://www.base64encode.org/

ie see below.

3 Likes

It didn't work for me with my yahoo or charter email addresses. Shared, I think it said.