Send SMS or Email via App

We both are. :(. It’s ok though.

It looks like Canada should be supported. We restricted the SMS entry in the SharpTools Rule Engine to non international numbers though. I'll take a look tomorrow and if there's a restriction on Canadian numbers, I'll remove it. :grin:

Not sure there's a limit in that sense. I get lots of SMS from US based apps. It works fine. However, Canadians need to be cautious as they may get charged additional fees for text messages from US carriers. I don't personally have to worry because I have a package that allows unlimited because I'm from the US and text friends and family.

1 Like

I just wanted to circle back that US and Canada numbers should both be supported by our provider and the SharpTools Rule Engine UI limits sending to +1 country code numbers so you should be good to go. :smiley:

1 Like

And it has the sms limit of 10 per day? :thinking:

The SharpTools Rule Engine? No - no limit at this time.

Just don't go crazy with it. :stuck_out_tongue: At some point, we will probably establish soft limits based on reasonable usage... (eg. Like how T-Mobile only limits like the top 1% of data usage)

1 Like

:joy: just asking, thanks

1 Like

I have noticed that the documentation/apps show two methods of putting the phone numbers in as +1xxxyyyzzzz and +1(xxx)yyyzzzz. I will look as see if I can get screen shots, but it is not consistent. It also took me a while to figure out that the '+' character must be specified.

Somehow i configured my phones to be enrolled and notified.
Yet today - when i go to where i thought i put in my actual phone number - all i see is "my name phone" and "Wifesname phone" - no where to check that their numbers are correct or how to change them to a new number.
Was there an HSM update that somehow did away with where we typed in our numbers? or am i just not looking in the right place? thanks in advance for any tips on where to see how and where i added our two phones to hubitat since i can no longer see the above input fields to actually type in their numbers... hmmmm ?

@keithwinnfl Builtin SMS messages went away in the last update. It was announced a few months ago. Twilio is a HE built in app where you can add SMS. It requires a paid account but you can have lots of monthly messages.

Thanks - pretty cool! less than a penny a msg. cool.
its just odd how in my gui - our two phones show up by name... guess that's a result of the discontinuation..
Setting up Twilio Looks a bit like setting up the pushover account i did with tokens etc ... - and Twilio will send true SMS messages, where Pushover sends msgs to its own app on our phones.
if i have the above right - a BIG THANKS!

1 Like

I don't do many messages and my cost for the year is likely to be less than $15.

1 Like

@keithwinnfl

If you have a RPi or any other computer running Linux/Unix, you can use this integration from @erktrek and send all the SMS messages you want for free.

Works really well and you're not restricted to a single recipient phone number or a limited number of message; I've been using it for the last month or so.

1 Like

Thanks ! once i completely tame my Hubitat - the Rasberry Pi is next on my list as i am an old embedded microcontroller/microprocessor designer - that RPi looks fantastic!

When you get to it, consider the Odroid single-board computers. While they don't offer the versatile support that you get with RPis for hardware projects, they are very solid performers that beat the RPi for software projects. I have an Odroid XU4 that I purchased 3 or 4 years ago for $80. It has an octacore processor and runs the ARM port of Ubuntu 18.04.

I use it for several Hubitat-related functions, including:

1. @gabriele's AlexaCookieJs that renews cookies for @ogiewon's Amazon Alexa text to speech (AlexaTTS), which I use for audio announcements.
  2. Jishi's node-sonos-http-api that I use to control Sonos speakers through Hubitat. It is more versatile than the built-in Sonos integration.
  3. @erktrek's DoNS sendmail integration (linked above) that I use for SMS and Email notifications.
  4. Maddox's harmony-api that I use along with @ogiewon's HTTP momentary switch to "augment" control of my TV/sound system. The sound system turns off if I pause the TV and walk away for 20 minutes. The combination of the two keeps the sound system on as long as the TV is on.

This is in addition to a bunch of things that run on the Odroid for other purposes like the PiHole DNS blocker, SMB shares for Sonos libraries, OpenVPN and a DLNA server.

Simply the best ~$80 I spent. And I must have spent three times that amount on buying RPIs over the years that never performed to the extent anticipated. The other Chinese RPi clones (eg. Banana Pis and Orange Pis) were also disappointments.

2 Likes

So look. There's no way to do it with the hubitat. But you can make virtual switches, contact sensors, and omnipurpose sensors and share them with a smart things hub then use them as security mechanisms in smart things to trip the security and send SMS messages to whomever. as a result the smart things hub only responds and knows anything when an alarm (virtual switch) goes off. And if you have a secondary gateway in the form of a USB network adapter in a server in your home network and configure everything to use it as a secondary dhcp server dns server and gateway you can always get text messages AND push notifications even if someone snips your fiber cable Through 4g or whatever USB card u use supports. (Ps if you have a media server or other high bandwidth devices not used for security don't send them through the secondary gateway too or you may have issues with speed) p.s. hsm, alert, and mode are somewhat unreliable so use the virtual devices as actually devices that will set off the smart things alarm as if they were actual devices on the smart things hub.

Are you referring to sending SMS messages specifically? Hubitat does support using Twilio to send SMS notifications.

You can also use the built-in Pushover driver to send push notifications. And, the Hubitat Mobile App supports push notifications as well.

This only works for USA ST customers (maybe Canada as well?). Samsung/SmartThings has disabled SMS for all other users around the globe.

1 Like

Nope, no longer comes to my 403 number.
However, problem solved on ST by getting Google Voice; you'll have to jump through some hoops to make this happen, but worth it. Also remember to register this number with ST to enable SMS messages.

1 Like

Wow ain't that some shizt. I thought that since they clearly didn't spend much on engineering their ties with telephone companies and the ability to send SMS messages was the only plus to the SmartThings hub. Didn't realize u could send SMS via hubitat since they pulled the feature natively.

Also twillo costs $ so.. nah. Half the point of a hubitat is self reliance from both companies and their bills.