Searchable database of devices and drivers

I’m finding it difficult to find information about various devices and drivers without trawling forums and finding mixed results.

I’m thinking of creating a database (maybe something that can be online) to have devices, their capabilities, a fingerprint, and pointers to repos of their code/drivers, along with other useful info.

Ideally this would be something that could be community edited, but the benefit being a structured solution rather than something static like a wiki page.

Is there any interest in this? Or is there something that exists that I’ve missed?

I’m keen to do this for my own devices simply to document things, but being in Australia, I’m pretty limited to the devices I can use readily (pretty much zigbee).

Keen to hear thoughts on this before I start architecting a solution. If no interest, I’ll probably build something much simpler and in a local dB rather than go for something publishable to the web.

2 Likes

@robert1

I would agree that we need something and like the idea of an on-line db (with some reservations on the ‘anyone can edit’ part.)
Depending on the format, I might even be able to help with hosting.

How would you do it php & mysql?
This is something that is lacking for Hubitat.
I know there is a thread listing compatible devices but this is now cluttered with conversation and has no pointers to drivers etc.
One additional table I would add is a field for creator/developer of the driver.

At a later date this could also be expanded to cover community created apps

Happy to discuss further.

Andy

Maybe not a database but an alphabetical list in the wiki would be a great start.

1 Like

This Wiki page is not static and is community editable. I have updated a couple myself. While I like the idea of a separately hosted and customisable database, this one can be useful as long as the community updates it...at least till you 2 build something better :slight_smile:

1 Like

See post above…it’s even alphabetical :smile:

1 Like

Great idea. I see the wiki and it's great but having the link to code/drivers repos.... That's very useful.

1 Like

The Wiki does have links for the custom drivers, which usually point to either a GitHub Repo or the Hubitat Community Topic with the details. If we all just keep it up to date, it really is a very simple solution. You can even search it with a simple Ctrl-F in your browser.

Long-term, I would love to see an App/Website that could be used to install custom Apps and Drivers on the Hubitat Hub, and possibly keep them up to date (or at least notify of new versions). That would be great. Something like the app that @tonesto7 has been working on for ST to help manage custom code.

2 Likes

It’s separated by connection type and mostly alphabetical, so searching isn’t really necessary.

I’m not really a programmer any more, but most of my expertise is in the Microsoft stack.
Probably a good project for lamp stack realistically but I’m starting from scratch. MySQL is the obvious backend choice. Looking to see if there’s a front end free application to avoid having to hand code the UI.

I don’t even have the hub yet, most of this was borne from my frustration in finding solutions for my SmartThings hub. I went weeks without realizing there were drivers written for most of my gear as it isn’t obvious.

I’d be keen to see hubitat have native drivers, then have a choice to include community created drivers as an option, out of the box, with the usual disclaimers of not officially supported. As least they could be discovered.

Hey Robert,

I am essentially migration completed with switching over to the Hubitat Elevation from Smartthings Hub. I was never really cursing the Smarthings Hub about anything particular, but where I live, I believe the country shuffle doesn't give me what I would call a "Raising-the-Bar-For-Customers" when it comes to the Network Connectivity Reliability metric into my owned Cable modem. Careful not to conflate that term with the separate and very different Wifi Router Radio signal. Which conveniently sets up the story of "How Pete Got a Dirty & Costly Lesson About The Many Ways a Local-Based Device Controlling Architecture Differs Very Significantly From It's Cloud-Based Cousin" (For the record, thank God I am not writing anything even remotely bookish with a title line that!).

You see, with the high number of cable Network Continuity drops during the day, most less than a minute, but some in perpetuity. Having recently been emboldened by some quick succes in the Smarthings Hub v3 setup, I looked forward to how satisfying it would be to neutralized Comcast's consistent pattern of suck.

And now, ladies & gentleman, I ask that you return to your seats and strap in, from this point on and despite not yet recognizing this, I blindly, albeit gleefully started to configure what would prove to be a rather lengthy cable modem reboot process. It was during the very beginning of that process, that the sign of trouble would teach ME the importance of understanding the differences in those Network Connectivity and WiFi signal drops.

Down we go!!! I finally accepted a fact that had been staring me in the face, this automation would need to be built in what is arguably the most powerful Android app available, Tasker. I wasn't resisting Tasker for any reason related to the app itself. It was one of those instances in life where I convince myself that a solution for my issue should be a feature of whatever, ergo, I will begin to look "harder" and follow my flawed assumptions because obviously I'm just not looking in the right place.

Alas, I learned that day, and if I'm mistaken lemme know, that despite all the capabilities of every hub, device, and forum searches to show me exactly how to trigger the sunrise of the 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz Wifi Radios were no longer available, only the Tasker App could detect a true Network Connectivity loss, but man it was NOT simple. Oh but again!! Here's the catch: Tasker, being an Android based App would need to actually be configured on a phone which was currently connected to the same network in order to detect and trigger any of this.

But that wasn't going to stop me seeing all tune gear up one my super rad Meross Smart Power Strip arrived from my Bezos Buddies at Amazon. So that was simply a matter of a few plug swaps, reboots by all the devices after being connected in this strip, and manually triggering the Tasker automation if I was unable to find that capabilty. I gleefully pressed the Cable Modem switch on my phone and was thriller to hear a rather sharp "CLICK", the automation was off and running, at least for probably 2½ minutes I did, and then the painful sting of truth hit me, and I was learned again!

Ya see, that there Smartthings hub was all cloud-based, and the millisecond that now depressing click told me it was smart, it suddenly was not. The signal which was being triggered by Tasker through a very indirect route couldn't make it the last hop back to the now dumb powerstrip.

So now I'm roughly 97% migrated over, have a Z-Wave based Zooz Smart Power Strip in place of the Meross, which I reallocated to a location that the limits of a wifi based cloud systems wouldn't be an issue. I still don't know a way to trigger the Network Connectivity loss, so lemme know.

Full disclosure though.... Man, I REALLY miss the Smarthings UI. Having the Hubitat function as a remote cloud based hub when I'm out of the house if without a doubt an afterthought, pretty clunky process. But it wasn't enough to deter me from switching.

I'd like to hear about your experiences and lessons learned if you have any.

Pete

Not sure this is a lesson learned or an opinion solidified...

I've used three Mobile Apps for home automation hubs. They suck. I am so glad they are far far in my rear view. The mixing of admin and user drove me crazy from moment one... back in 2014 when I got Staples Connect.

I understand 100% why the Engineers that wrote those apps did it. The spec said to. But I never understood the why the spec didn't call for dual apps, one with all the Admin elements: Include/Exclude Device, Name the device, pick a driver, add it into an automation, on and on. And a completely different App to provide the slick user interface. It's more effort to be sure, two runs through Apple's app store gauntlet, at a minimum. The one and ONLY message I ever sent to Staples regarding Connect was to ask them to split the app. (Their response was to leave the business. :slight_smile: several months later.)

Next I got Wink.. same.

Next I got SmartThings.. worse.

Now I've got Hubitat and I'm in heaven. No annoying (admin filled) App to explain to the family. Just a dashboard 'App'. *

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's an opinion, now that I've written it out... :slight_smile:

[ * I've saved the link to the cloud dashboard on my phone and tablet's home page.. it looks like an app, it opens like an app, must be an app, right? At least to my family it is.. or would be if they ever used it. They have NEVER used it. ]

2 Likes

What he said.

I need to figure out how to push through the whole 25.1 seconds I have before my attention span lapses. Not conducive to a nice looking dashboards.

That made me laugh. I know the feeling. I'm starting to appreciate the fundamental difference between home automation and home control. Most members of your household don't want to have to "control" anything, especially if there are multiple steps. So the key is to make it so the house is "smart" enough to give people what they want / need before they need to control it.

I've learned that Home Control is a subset of Home Automation. I don't believe I've lost even one iota of Control. Every switch still works, Pico's work, Phone or Tablet works. Nothing prevents Control... for me. But, having reached some 'good enough' level of Automation, the need to control gets smaller and smaller.

I don't disagree with anyone that says their home is so... chaotic.. that Automation will never work for them, gotta have Control. I just get to be happy that's not my house. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, I still need a whole lotta Automation. I NEED an automated clothing separator, and I NEED an Automated "Take it to the Washing Machine and wash it."

1 Like

Totally automated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQgDwA0BNU

5 Likes

I do not see a link to the searchable database, will someone please point me there?

Also, what events and methods are exposed by the Caseta driver?

Do I need to load that driver? If so, please provide a link.

This thread is very old (no one has posted in it for two years), but if you’d like to see which devices are compatible with Hubitat (ie staff have tested with built-in drivers), then that list has been moved here in the hub documentation.

There is a similar list for devices that community members have confirmed will work with Hubitat, some with built-in drivers but others with custom drivers. It’s a wiki post maintained by the community, so it’s not necessarily comprehensive or up to date, but it’s the best (only) list I know of.

@bobbyD please consider closing this thread.

Edit: the integration with Lutron (which works with not only caseta, but also RadioRA 2 and RA2 Select) also has instructions on how to use within the hub documentation pages.

2 Likes

No offense, but I think leaving such discussions open is good practice. It keeps clutter off the forum, and it also lets the people who may respond know you have already looked for the answer. Things such as better products having come out than when previously discussed is helpful. Just my thought, I have never been a moderator...

1 Like

I understand there are differences of opinion. No offense taken (and none intended on my part).

Mine is that when there’s an old thread that hasn’t had activity for a really long time, like a year or two, some of the older posts can have info that’s waaay out of date and can cause confusion.

Some forums have auto-close rules so that after a period of inactivity, threads will close on their own. While this one doesn’t, staff will sometimes close old threads that get resurrected when tagged.

4 Likes