Schlage lock problems

Have you ever seen them go through the Aeotec 6? I got one of those and my locks still wouldn’t work right. I then replaced it with the ring extender Gen 2 and they haven’t given any problems since.

Yes! Actually when I first set it up they were repeating through the aeotecs. Then ... I had a power outage and a corrupt database. 1 soft reset and restore later and things were up and running again, but I also got curious about it. So, last night, I ran a repair and watched the traffic on my zniffer. The path through the repeaters mapped with the locks. So I have 3 repeaters (enerwave & 2 aeotec 6's) and all three paths mapped, but when activating the locks, they choose the enerwave. So, what I assume what's happening is that it'll choose the other two paths if one is broken. Z-wave likes 3-4 reliable paths to route traffic through, so even if it's not actively using them becuase the enerwave is the cleanest route or hop (max 4 hops) the route is there and maintained in case one route gets too busy or broken. I do have a lot of other devices using the repeaters now, too. I think placement is everything.
[EDIT]
What I did find odd was that during the repair I did see beaming activity and communication with the locks. Maybe it's becuase they're FLiRS devices that they talked during that repair? I have no idea. Like it almost goes against what I read about Z-wave plus.

1 Like

What's the best way to go and look at this?
I'd love to confirm where my two locks are repeating through

Similar to April, to get my locks at 100% awesome, I have a Aeotech close to my hub (6ish feet) and another 8ish feet from my door.

1 Like

search for sniffing, zniffing ... should pull up the instructions on how to build a zniffer with a link to the hardware used. I'll warn you. It's another rabbit hole.

1 Like

Ack, no so way to look at the tables in HE to deduce this.. yeah, I'm very wary to go down any new rabbit holes right now :slight_smile:

oh zniffing is easy. but it sucks you in.

1 Like

Curious, how do you get them to replace the units?

Call their support

Their warranty doesn't cover the electronics, as I recall.

It does. Just tell them it's completely dead. I've replaced 2. They will send you the latest and greatest. Tell them no power even with no batteries and no corrosion on the battery pack when they ask

Thanks. I may give that a go.