Schlage lock problems

I agree - fixing stability/reliability needs to be the top priority. Nobody is in the smart hub arena to be constantly battling reliability issues with their hub. It is extremely frustrating to have something work for so long without issue to see it flat out stop working all of a sudden.

The Schlage lock reliability issue should also be at the top of the list. Blaming the locks and suggesting repeaters isn't the answer. I've tried repeaters and still have issues. Security needs to be a priority and reliable locking is a huge part of that.

Support should be the next focus. We shouldn't have to wait over a week for a response from support and then another week for a follow up response (if ever). At this point I believe there's only one person fielding support requests which seems outrageous and unrealistic.

I am extremely frustrated at this point after spending so much time to migrate to Hubitat only to have constant issues and lack of solutions to any of the issues. I am about ready to jump ship unless there's a change in the very near future. From everything I've read it sounds like there is a large percentage of HE users in the same situation. I don't want to move away from Hubitat but if things don't drastically change it's going to force me to.

3 Likes

Sometime the devices are the issue though. How much time should the team be expected to put into any one product to make it work correctly? There are many locks which have none of the Schlage issues, so why is it exclusively Hubitat's responsibility to correct all Schlage issues, just because that's the lock a particular user chose to buy?

Sorry, but I just really don't think the title of the thread in any way is an indicator that this is the place to complain about a particular device or devices. There are many threads discussing Schlage issues, and pretty well all of them have users surmising that Hubitat isn't working correctly with Schlage locks, and yet the outcome is almost always either the lock needed joining again, repeaters were needed, or the user bought another lock to fix the problem. There are also users that have no problems with their Schlage lock as well, so that further throws a wrench in the "Hubitat is solely to blame" hypothesis some users express.

Many locks don't have a problem with Hubitat, without the need for a repeater or repeated pairing. This to me, doesn't suggest a hub issue with locks, it suggest that Schlage has a problem with their firmware and/or the radio used in their locks. Some users that are also developers have even pointed to evidence that with certain Schlage modes, there is indeed a firmware issue that Schlage couldn't resolve, and their only solution was to send a new lock to the owner.

3 Likes

It's not, if they wish to repeatedly on a weekly basis continue to see complaints in their forum about the same exact device (which IS LISTED as a compatible device) not working on their platform.

Devices listed on the "List of Compatible Devices" have been tested by our engineers to work as expected. The tested devices usually run the latest firmware available for that device. While we historically did not list the firmware version of the tested device, we are beginning to add notes for devices that are known to have issues with older (or different) firmware than the one tested. Schlage locks are the first to receive such note. ( "Firmware 8 and above only").

7 Likes

Blaming the device firmware is a cop out. The LATEST firmware on the locks version 8.0 still has problems on hubitat working consistently (unless you are maintaining within 5 feet of the hub) and like the other firmware versions besides maybe pre-7's have no issues on other platforms.

1 Like

Blaming the hub with no evidence is the cop out. Come on man, this is an unreasonable reply to an absolutely reasonable response.

7 Likes

The evidence is two other platforms directly next to the hubitat pair and operate the lock when joined perfectly. and have for years. The ONLY changing variable is the hub

1 Like

[Orinally posted in 5 Minutes With New Hubitat CEO/President Greg Toth]
Firstly, time to take this to a thread that has to do with Schlage locks. Second, post your logs there. Explain your setup, environment, lock model number, and firmware version, along with what you’ve tried. Then someone can try to help you. This is all anecdotal evidence you’re discussing.

11 Likes

THIS. It should not be listed as compatible if it's not working. I think the team should dedicate as much time as it takes to make a single product work if it is listed as compatible. If it's not compatible at least the user can make the decision to attempt to make it work but not invest in Hubitat with the expectation that it will work.

2 Likes

What should be the ratio of working versus not working that should include or exclude a device from the compatibility list? Every device on the compatibility list was tested and worked when tested. That’s been stated many times. It’s not a list of guesses about devices.

2 Likes

I guess that depends on how high you want customer satisfaction to be. In my opinion the locks should respond to commands (lock/unlock) from the HE 95% of the time at a minimum. Honestly a great system would be 99.99% of the time but I'd be satisfied if I was anywhere close to 95%. I get false status reporting and battery drains as well. I have posted details, worked with support, invested additional $ into repeaters, etc. only to be in a similar boat with ongoing issues.

1 Like

To get to @marktheknife's and @SmartHomePrimer's point, Schlage themselves don't have a good definition of working or compatible. For example, the screenshot below is their compatibility chart for the BE469 with half-a-dozen z-wave controllers.

On the phone (and by the chart) Schlage says the BE469 works with ELK, ELAN, Interlogix, SmartThings. Yet, the function guaranteed with each one is very different.

I also note that on this chart Schlage claims compatibility with Wink for remote lock/unlock, battery status, add/delete users, and lock status notification - this was achieved because Wink used to be a Schlage partner. That is no longer true. So with the currently sold BE469ZP, Wink only supports lock/unlock.

BTW, anyone can access this page at:

1 Like

Heck, I'd be thrilled just to have reliable locking/unlocking and accurate lock status without any of the other features. Give me those features functioning properly 95% of the time and I'm happy and would call it "compatible". My concern is that it doesn't seem anywhere close to that and I can't seem to get any of the features to work reliably.

For that you need to go with a zigbee lock. I had a painful time, until I converted all my locks to zigbee. Now they're 100% reliable.

3 Likes

Which Zigbee locks work well with Hubitat?

Kwikset 910 has been rock solid since I switched out the zwave radio for zigbee radios.

1 Like

Ditto

Just as a data point, I have a Yale YRD256 Z-Wave Plus lock. It is and always has been reliable. Depends on the lock and its radio. Doesn’t seem to be an issue with Z-Wave locks across the board, but there does seem to be a very high success rate with Zigbee radios in locks as you point out.

2 Likes

This has been my experience as well.

thanks