Schlage lock problems

Of course they have. It's a pointless statement. Schlage locks are widely reported to be problematic across multiple platforms too. So even large companies build flawed products.

That's a made up statement if ever I heard one. Zigbee ain't going away anytime soon. It may eventually be subplanted by other technologies, but as a standard, the HA market is a fraction of the Zigbee installed base.

I have heard the same song and dance about other technologes that should have already replaced Zigbee & Z-Wave.. BT mesh hasn't gained significant traction...

And of course, ahem, Thread (which is dead) was going to take over the world. And now Amazon and others want to invent yet another standard.

I'll believe any of that when it happens.. But we are talking 5 or more years if it does.

1 Like

Look at the bio's of the people behind this company.
If there is any chance for this standard, these are certainly the folks that can make it work from a technical perspective. Market success is of course a completely different story.
morsemicro[dot]com[slash] about-us

You may be correct. But I am not buying anymore z-wave devices. Anything but wifi is simply a pain to deal with.

[quote="matthew1, post:64, topic:32655"]
But I am not buying anymore z-wave devices. Anything but wifi is simply a pain

Which has zero explanation as to what brought you to this platform/forum. NOTHING advertised about this platform "promotes" wifi devices

Very few WiFi devices from major manufacturers even have a local control API. Their cloud dependence renders them a pain to deal with.

3 Likes

Absolutely. This is a topic that was discussed to death recently. You cannot secure a WiFi-connected device without either using a connection to the cloud, or a self-signed SSL certificate, which throws browser errors and is very easily defeated by man-in-the-middle attack.

Which means that customer choice for WiFi is either an unencrypted connection, a cloud dependency, or a thin layer of hard to use, easily defeated security.

Or one stays with the more open, slightly more secure, trusted standards like Z-Wave and Zigbee.

5 Likes

You should take a look at this company.
shelly.cloud
They have devices that work locally or cloud.

disclaimer: Shelly is far from perfect but has its virtues

1 Like

I'm guessing this has already been done but I have to ask - has the engineering team dug into the logs, firmware, etc. to compare the hubs of users without Schlage issues to those with issues to try to determine a common denominator?

I continue have have Schlage issues and am beyond frustrated. I have a newer Schlage firmware version that was listed as supported on the compatibility list until it was recently removed. I've been told this is being worked on but from everything I'm reading it sounds like there's no light at the end of the tunnel for a fix.

No idea, but I doubt the answer is in the hubs.

I bet it has a lot more to do with the topology and robustness of the z-wave mesh controlled by the hub. The components of that mesh, and their placement, is going to vary quite a bit from installation to installation.

That being said, there is strong evidence documented multiple times by @srwhite that schlage lock FW versions before 8.0 are garbage, and even more so for FW 7.1 and below.

Relocate your hub within 5 feet of the lock, it is almost guaranteed to solve the problem. It may take a few days for your zwave to completely settle down. This has solved the issue for me and many others.

I have two locks with firmware 7.1 that have no issues at all since relocating the hub.

I actually tried this recently and my hub is now within 5 feet of my front door lock (I have three other locks) but I continue to have issues with all locks. I'm wondering if it's worth trying yet another exclude, factory reset, and pairing now that it's relocated and the z-wave repairs have been done. Are you using any repeaters? Is there any chance the repeaters could be making things worse?

I have 2 repeating devices to every one battery device, including 5 aeotec range extender 6's and constantly had problems with 2 of my locks until I made the move.

After the move I did perform a zwave repair (i didn't do any exclude/include, but I guess you could to possibly speed up the repair process). And each day afterwards ran another zwave repair for a couple days. It took a solid couple days before seeing the "drastic" improvements. It was still sporadic for about the first week getting better each day. Now a month later none of my locks miss a single command/rule.

FYI, If you have 3 other locks you will need 3 other hubs (connected with hubconnect) If you have any of those locks within 15-20 feet of each other you might be able to have the hub in between them.

I have 3 hubs. that I'm using in operation

Thanks for the info. You aren't the first person to mention this as a suggested fix by adding multiple hubs. I would hope this is useful information for the engineering team to help determine root cause. Your use case shows that it isn't faulty hardware/software on the Schlage side and that for some reason there are multiple hubs needed in order for multiple locks to work reliably.

I've been following this thread, and wanted to offer up what I'm seeing. I currently have two Schlage locks - 469nx and 469zp, the latter of which is the z-wave plus model. My ZP lock is farther away from my hub than the nx. I also have two zooz zen21 light switches within 5 ft of the zp lock. I also have both locks connected to homebridge so I can quickly review status. Here's what I've noticed:

• The NX lock is more reliable in reporting back state
  • The ZP lock wont always report state
  • Changing to the generic driver on the ZP seems to make a small difference
  • The ZP lock has no issue in receiving unlock/lock commands. Those usually work within 5 seconds, if not sooner.
  • My zooz lights report state immediately - I only mention this because presumably the ZP lock should send its commands to the zooz switch.

What I suspect is that the ZP lock may have some issue in sending state. Unfortunately, it's not exactly easy to capture z-wave traffic to validate this.

I have had a Schlage lock working perfectly with HE for over a year. Battery doesn't seem to last as long as it did with Smartthings, but that could also be due to increased use.

Then the other day I decided to run a z-wave repair (I never run this). I applied the most recent hub update as well. Now the lock seems to randomly drop and I have to reboot the hub to get it back. It is driving me insane so I came here and find all these threads about issues with Schlage locks. What is the deal?

Why has it been working solidly for so long until just recently?

But you can most definitely secure your network. The security of the device is moot if your network is secure.

1 Like

I've had the Schlage for ... 3 years now? And recently upgraded to the ZP. Just migrated them to HE with zero problems except some foo with Lock Manager-- no problems with the locks. Some key points:

Schlage requires proper handling of beaming. This is why it may work when you move it closer. Lots of crap z-wave devices out there. Not all of them support beaming properly--regardless of what their specs say. Adding a new device to the mesh, rebuilding the mesh, (or the phase of the moon) can cause your locks to route a new path and include a device which doesn't handle beaming properly.

Every time I've had a problem, removing devices until I figured out which one was breaking it helped me solve it. Good news: you don't need to wait very long. If you power down a Z-Wave device the mesh will repair itself fairly quickly, so you can generally go through devices in fairly short order.

IMHO finding the bad repeater and removing it from the network, or at least moving it out to the edge where it isn't used, solved all my Schlage problems in the past.

I'll give you an example about how much the Z-Wave mesh matters. Instructions are to move the lock and hub close together. Well locks aren't easy to move and I felt lazy, so I wandered down to the backside lock that is out of range of the repeater (so must relay), excluded it and then tried to include it... failed. Realized suddenly that the repeater I'd placed nearby was still on the old mesh. Excluded that, then included it on the HE mesh. Went back to the lock and it included nearly instantly.

This lock is ~60 feet, 4 solid walls, and some heavy metal devices between it and the HE hub. I can't see the neighbors on the HE hub, but on my last hub it was 2 hops from that lock to the hub.

Hubitat: it would be really informative if you provided a way to see the Z-Wave path(s) being used by devices. That has been tremendously helpful to me in the past.

1 Like

For that you need to go with a zigbee lock. I had a painful time, until I converted all my locks to zigbee. Now they're 100% reliable.

I really wish that all you who live in the boonies would stop going on about Zigbee. Yay, you have a house far enough away from others that radio interference isn't a problem.

For those of us who live in urban neighborhoods, Zigbee is all but useless. 2.4Ghz pollution is overwhelming where I live. Anything Zigbee works at best 8 feet from the hub. And even when it does work, the slightest breeze can apparently change it all. I've had to 3 times now lost half my devices when someone moves into the neighborhood. So I rent/borrow a really good 2.4 scanner and then sit and tune my zigbee channel until I find the least worst situation...

And OMG, with Z-Wave have the neighbor tree of devices in the mesh. It's debuggable. You can work on it and achieve stability. But when you bring Zigbee problems to people, they just throw their hands in the air because there's apparently no debugging possible.

It has always baffled me that Hubitat staff will promote Zigbee again and again and again... but when you bring them Zigbee problems they quickly admit there's nothing they can do to resolve them. Why promote something you can't support?

Zigbee really needs to come with a sticker saying "Don't use this in any place with more than 5 operating 2.4Ghz radios"

1 Like

I do not live in the boonies. Yay!

1 Like

Including WiFi I have 8 2.4g radios running and 120 zigbee devices at this point, don't know what to tell you...

3 Likes